Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much of a difference is there taking a punch from 16oz gloves to 8oz gloves?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Roy Jones Jnr View Post
    Also Ray another quick question for you and anyone else who wishes to answer...any tips or ways to pick up on if you are yourself a heavy hitter?

Like any little hints or signs you carry decent power without having been boxing long enough to have KO'd people or hurt people in sparring yet etc?

In sparring i've never actually gone all out with a single punch i can rememeber...is that the wrong mentality to have? From what i've seen and studied sparring is meant to be good work for the both of us, so i always hold back a little power...even if sometimes it seems like the other guy is trying to land some heavy shots.

Is there any signs or ways to find out? My punches sound better on the pads than a few of the other lads i train with...? Is that a good way of telling or does that sound silly to ya?
    I haven't competed yet but whenever I hit the heavy bag it jumps up and the i-beam above it makes a thunderous sound. I've also rocked people with jabs during light sparring, so I think that's a good indicator of punching power.

I can't say anything about pads since my trainer just uses his bare hands.

Comment

Originally posted by HedonisticFrog View Post
      I haven't competed yet but whenever I hit the heavy bag it jumps up and the i-beam above it makes a thunderous sound. I've also rocked people with jabs during light sparring, so I think that's a good indicator of punching power.

I can't say anything about pads since my trainer just uses his bare hands.

Comment

RoyJr. I would run an "open session" meaning solid punches thrown but when you land a good one you don't follow up with equally heavy shots! we're not in the business of hurting or gym brothers or making unnecessary trips to the ER!
        The best way to simulate a fight sequence is to have a lesser talented and experienced fighter work open against a veteran.
        I feel bad when someone comes here and tells us he's sparring after spending 3 weeks in the gym..............there is NO way you need to spar with 3 weeks under your belt unless your learning how to jab/wipe the jab/slip it/duck it/etc.... but all that is taught with mitts!
        The heavy bag is where you work on your hreavy shots, don't lock out on impact make sure your punching threw the bag!

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
          It depends whose fist is in the glove!!! A heavy hand will hurt either way.
          The speed can increase using an 8oz and that's adding power. The 16oz is adding weight so the heavy hand just got heavier!!!
          Glove size has more meaning on the defensive side. The 8oz covers less and must be more precise if hand blocking is employed. The 16oz will be easier to cover up with and you can catch a piece of a glove if your not precise with technique on defense.

You never use an 8oz in sparring to begin with. Most fighters use 14/16/18/!
          This pretty much.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
            RoyJr. I would run an "open session" meaning solid punches thrown but when you land a good one you don't follow up with equally heavy shots! we're not in the business of hurting or gym brothers or making unnecessary trips to the ER!
            The best way to simulate a fight sequence is to have a lesser talented and experienced fighter work open against a veteran.
            I feel bad when someone comes here and tells us he's sparring after spending 3 weeks in the gym..............there is NO way you need to spar with 3 weeks under your belt unless your learning how to jab/wipe the jab/slip it/duck it/etc.... but all that is taught with mitts!
            The heavy bag is where you work on your hreavy shots, don't lock out on impact make sure your punching threw the bag!
            The advice on an open session sounds great Ray! Helps you get used to throwing good shots in the ring without destroying your partners. I was wondering would it be possible for you to make a thread on advice on training? Like maybe a q and a thread? You just have so much good stuff to say and it would be great for it to all be in one place

Comment

There is a difference and you will feel it. I dont box but ive messed around with gloves with my friend alot.

He hit me to the body with a 12oz or a 14oz cant really remember it didnt really hurt but it had the power behind it to knock me down but i immediately got up. It basically just cushions the hurt of the punch if you know what i mean. The punches will have power and you will feel them still but they will be cushioned and .

Then he hit me with some really light gloves maybe 6oz or 8oz and it HURT. it felt like a rock compared to the 12 or 14 oz. Its still good enough cushioning from a bare fist but it will be alot more impact with the 8oz.......jsut try it out and see what i mean.

Comment

It ****ing hurts. The crack from a punch feels a lot more painful.

16oz give you a thudding and concussive force. 8oz make those punches feel like snapping bricks being thrown to your face.

Comment

Wuckoo, I'm here most days and I'm hear to advise anyone on training and I still accept video to evaluate form & style. As far as writing training that would be an enormous task, I've been approached many times to write a book on boxing and on my experiences with the different personalities I encountered in my active years. It just seems to personal to me, shooting the crap on a forum is as far as I will go.
                  My mentors are some of the best boxing people that ever lived and I formed my own techniques on some situations that occur during a fight. If anyone wants to come down to S.W. Fla. I could secure gym time and for a fee I will work with you. I'll spend a little time on how you need to condition but most of the time will be about Methods & Techniques, Boxing!
                  Ray.

Comment

A lot of the responses so far have pretty much hit the nail on the head, the smaller glove allows for more powerful shots to be thrown because of the speed. Also the 8oz gloves are hard and yeah damn those shots hurt, especially because you may be getting hit at angles you don't see and at speed...for example I used to be a sucker for the left hook around the side and **** those shots hurt, they really will stun/daze you badly and you'll back up...while the sparring gloves like 14 and 16oz have a bigger impact area yet obviously it's more padded and gives you more of a temporary stun rather than concussive damage.

In terms of pads, wouldn't look too much into that. Working pads well is a 2 way thing...if the person who's holding the pads isn't committed into it, as in pushing into your punch, timing in sequence correctly with you, it can become very sloppy and hard to get any solid contact on the pad if you are reaching or just winging punches. But the sound feedback should at least tell you that you are hitting the sweet spot. Also, the glove weight will determine usually the sound you get. I use 12oz training gloves on the pads and generally it feels and sounds pretty good.

Comment

Working...
                    X