No announcement yet.

Your Definitions of Common Boxing Terms

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by evets View Post
    This isn't the point though the question was can you be both. It's a moot point. For me, he never attained it so is a hype job. For you he attained it so can only be over hyped (mainly by himself). Thus the point of my original post.
    But I'm saying can you be both?
    I think you can be a great basketball player and still be overrated. Like a Carmelo Anthony.

Comment

I think a set up opponent is more like a gatekeeper status opponent. He has some good wins on his resume but not quite or no longer considered a top contender. A Bullshit opponent, I believe is an older, diminished, shopworn opponent on the decline who is no longer a threat but is mostly living off his legacy.

Comment

World Class Boxer = proven champ who is ranked top 5 in his weight class

Bullsh^t/BS Opponent = an opponent who can't compete or challenge with his foe and isn't rated by anyone

Setup Opponent= an opponent who is brought in to make the star prospect look good

All Time Great = a boxer with a great legacy who is remembered after 20+ years.

Pound For Pound = a boxer who is ranked by every credible boxing site as a top 10 p4p fighter. Basically a boxer who is apart of the 10 best fighters in the world.

Bum = an absolute no hoper...has no chance of winning and looks like crap in the ring.

Comment

Quite drunk on Sat night, I remember saying, 'Usyk has timed him lovely' following the KO, or some other such BS. As I said it, I thought to myself, that's not what 'timed' means at all, really, but everyone was pissed anyway and I don't think anyone heard me (I hope haha)

To be clear, to 'time' an opponent means: to figure out the timing of their punching patterns, and to deliver a solid counter (Canelo's KO of Khan is a good example)... it does not mean to simply deliver a good punch [like the way I used it on Sat night ]

(this is basically a post directed at myself lol)

Comment

World class/Elite fighters are either current, former titleholders or contenders who have less than three defeats on their records and is among the bigger box office draws in the sport.

Pound for pound fighters are the best fighters who dominate their weight division better than anybody else and who has had several title defenses and have won titles in multiple weight divisions also.

Comment

Originally posted by MasterPlan View Post
              But I'm saying can you be both?
              I think you can be a great basketball player and still be overrated. Like a Carmelo Anthony.
              I think you misunderstand my original point. I agree with you but being overrated is not being a hype job. A hype job is someone who is smoke and mirrors, no substance there. Someone who is over hyped has substance but its overblown. So for example Eubank Jr would be a hype job, when the smoke cleared there was no substance. Then maybe someone like Naseem Hamed was not a hype job, he had substance but vastly overhyped himself which led to his downfall. Possibly bad examples but just trying to show the difference.

Comment

A Bum is a fighter I consider who is not truly dedicated to the sport full-time. Many get into the sport very late in life, have no amateur experience or pedigree, many are cab drivers, sanitation and construction workers and fireman. They have no distinguished wins or a distinguished career. Many are known journeymen who typically take fights on short notice.

Comment

its pretty simple

bum=everyone on ggg's resume

elite=everyone not on gggs resume

Comment

Originally posted by champion4ever View Post
                    A Bum is a fighter I consider who is not truly dedicated to the sport full-time. Many get into the sport very late in life, have no amateur experience or pedigree, many are cab drivers, sanitation and construction workers and fireman. They have no distinguished wins or a distinguished career. Many are known journeymen who typically take fights on short notice.
                    I consider those types as Parttimers. Although they could be a bum to & usually are cuz very few guys can lose fights continually these days & make a real living at boxing. The days of Bruce "Mouse" Strauss are pretty much over with all these suspensions, fighter ID's & more accurate record keeping then ever. Lotsa Parttimers for prospects on the way up usually.

Comment

Hype Job = a term I'll seldom use as generally the guys we talk about have some hype like anyone with a high enough level of a boxing career has. A Hype Job is more of a guy on the way up who's proven little yet although he could lose that label at any point. Devin Haney was a bit of a hype job til his last two fights for example. Or a completely manufactured record type guy who's got anyone talking about him as used to happen all the time when the US was running the HW division.

Ducking = something that rarely happens at a high level in boxing as boxing on that level is about money more than avoiding challenges. Marinating is a thing more than ducking by a mile to me & often both guys are in on it to some degree.

Fanboy = a guy who'll almost never criticize "his guy" no matter what he does &/or he'll always cross reference his guy with every other guy or thing happening in boxing. His guy will always win & if he lost he lost for some reason other than being 2nd best. Often his guy only loses cuz of a bad decision or stoppage.

Hater Fan = a guy who'll spend most of their time on a site like this talking about a guy they hate. They love when he fights so they can downplay his W or LOL at about L. They live to take their chosen hated fighter down with every move he makes.

Comment

Working...
                      X