Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heavyweight Champ With Lowest IQ

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree, none of the champs were exactly stupid. But here's a preliminary vote for Joe Frazier having perhaps the lowest IQ of the bunch.

First of all, I can't imagine him doing well on an IQ "test."

But interviews are a half-decent indicator, and the ones he did with Ali -- obviously among the very smartest HW champs ever -- always seemed to leave old Joe looking a pretty slow, kind of out there, missing the point, taking things too literally and too seriously.

Ringside at the first Leonard/Duran fight, Frazier was asked by an announcer, "Does Roberto Duran remind you of anyone?" Frazier responded, "Charles Manson." The announcer clearly was trying to suggest that Duran's fighting style was reminiscent of Frazier's own, but of course he missed that.

(In Frazier's defense, the facial resemblance of a bearded Duran to Manson wasn't that far off.)

Comment

I heard Joe say he planned to pressurize an opponent once.

Comment

- -Ali failed his first draft intelligence test that earned him a 4F draft classification, ie those unfit for even basic duty.

Years later he was called in and failed again. All he ever did was spout a bunch of doggerel nonsense that he made up. Later as he matured he became wiser and realized he was being duped by the NOI, but he had to wait for Elijah's death before he could extract himself from their clutches lest he meet Malcolm's fate.

When Tyson visited England he dazzled their boxing experts with his erudite knowledge of boxing history and styles and had a very smooth verbal delivery and he just 21 yrs old.

Big George one of the most intelligent which is why he and Archie Moore really hit it off. Gene Tunney and Jack Dempsey and the Kbros too.

Lennox Lewis one of the most pretentious.

Currently the Mayweathers save Jeff couldn't spell cat if you spotted them the a and the t and half his stable no better.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
          I heard Joe say he planned to pressurize an opponent once.
          Ok seriously... Leone Spinks.

Comment

Let's assume you could make any match in history between two individuals from any eras, not necessarily even two boxers, just actual people in the historical record, some of whom might even possibly be legend only, such as a Samson or a Goliath.

Who do you want to go at it under conditions you can specify?

By Sneezy, that one'll get men worldwide busy at their keyboards. I can hear the tapping of hundreds of fingers already. Manly mitts will have their say, by God, when it comes to a good donnybrook.

Comment

And by the way, lads, 450 lbs. of tiger will usually whip 450 lbs. of lion, from what I keep seeing and reading. What do you think?

Comment

Without question, Bruce Seldon

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
                  And by the way, lads, 450 lbs. of tiger will usually whip 450 lbs. of lion, from what I keep seeing and reading. What do you think?
                  - - Tigers can't survive the African Savanna, but Lions live in India as the last holdouts. Any fights you are seeing is both being caged and removed from their environment their instincts were honed in.

At any rate, Bengals get eaten by siberians and grizzlies, the reason they don't live in those territories.

Comment

Who is the baddest US president? Lincoln probably. He was 6' 4", he wrestled, and was said to have ****** strength.

I'd like to see TR versus Obama in some kind of ring fight. And who wouldn't want to see Lyndon B. Johnson against George Washington?

Comment

I'm really hoping that in years to come multiple people will be positing my name here if my dreams come true lol.

Comment

Working...
                      X