No announcement yet.

In Their Primes

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Their Primes

A great match-up in 1959, a prime Sonny Liston (23-1) vs a prime Cleveland Williams (43-2). Bigger and stronger, I believe both men would have handled Floyd and Ingo at the time (Liston, for sure).

"He treated me rudely in the 1st round." - Sonny Liston

http://

Its odd, but Willams would crack the top 10 till 1961 while beong avoided by many fighters.

Comment

While both men had intriguing life stories (Sonny running away from home at the age of 13 because his father frequently beat the **** out of him), the most remarkable thing I find to be Cleveland's comeback as a heavy after his weight loss:

http://boxrec.com/media/index.php?title=Human:9382
      Last edited by Ben Bolt; 07-14-2012, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Bolt View Post
        "He treated me rudely in the 1st round." - Sonny Liston
        I ****ing love Liston's musings.

That sounds like something Eubank would say.

Comment

Originally posted by Capaedia View Post
          I ****ing love Liston's musings.

That sounds like something Eubank would say.
          Eubank was a good fighter, but he could never make "those words" sound menacing the way Liston could. Guy was a straight up intimidating.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
            Eubank was a good fighter, but he could never make "those words" sound menacing the way Liston could. Guy was a straight up intimidating.
            I just mean the hyperbole he made sounds exactly like something Eubank would have said.

Obviously Eubank, formidable as he was, wouldn't have been as scary as Liston even if he was packing a machine gun.

Comment

Originally posted by Capaedia View Post
              I just mean the hyperbole he made sounds exactly like something Eubank would have said.

Obviously Eubank, formidable as he was, wouldn't have been as scary as Liston even if he was packing a machine gun.
              Lol, I know what you meant my friend and I agree.

Comment

Interesting thing about that video...Cleveland Williams wasn't much of a fighter. Lunging in with his hands down, all his weight on his front foot. He did real well with the nobodies of boxing, hence his impressive record, but he wasn't good enough to move beyond that.
                As to his dramatic weight loss, I believe it had something to do with the Houston police putting 5 bullets in him, though it is possible that I am confusing him with somebody else.

Comment

Originally posted by greynotsoold View Post
                  Interesting thing about that video...Cleveland Williams wasn't much of a fighter. Lunging in with his hands down, all his weight on his front foot. He did real well with the nobodies of boxing, hence his impressive record, but he wasn't good enough to move beyond that.
                  As to his dramatic weight loss, I believe it had something to do with the Houston police putting 5 bullets in him, though it is possible that I am confusing him with somebody else.
                  lmao............

Comment

Originally posted by greynotsoold View Post
                    **** the Atkins Diet. This is the way forward

Comment

Working...
                    X