Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Sit Up and Push Up Routine Thread.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Sit Up and Push Up Routine Thread.

The mainstay of our core strength, shoulder, arm and chest strength/endurance and explosiveness as boxers are probably among the oldest forms of calisthenics and the most used, with the best results. So I was thinking we should make a thread that has the routine you do for your sit ups/crunches etc and also your push up routine and variations thereof.

List the exercises you do, why you do them and how you have found them to work for you and any variations on them you do too.

Also, put up any other variations that you think fit well into your routine that is close to these two, but might not be strictly either one.

Look forward to it!

Pushups are fantastic. So basic but so productive. Every other day, just around 3 sets, reps are 40/30/30. Declines are the key for me, mostly from the cosmetic standpoint of keeping the upper pecs round. For declines I just prop my feet up on a chair/bench/stool. Focus the push to come from your upper/inner chest until it burns. I do those every other time I do pushups.

I tend to neglect my crunches unless I'm going to be sparring anytime soon. Really should get back to doing then more.

Comment

For pushups.. I do two max rep sets in a row once or twice a day. That second max set is key for me because it really gets me pumped. I really try to push the envelope from the last time. Alternating speeds and types.

For crunches, I have a decline bench that I use. Lowest setting.. do anywhere from 150 to 300 crunches a day. Every 20 regular crunches or so... I do 10 static suspension hold crunches with core rotations then back to regular.

Comment

here some ab workouts

Ab Workout for Boxing featuring Kevin Cruz
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qXxEFLsSoc

Medicine Ball Ab Workout for Boxing featuring Kevin Cruz
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_N9IbIAUdg

Comment

Great idea for a thread.

I do sets of pushups and situps during commercial breaks while watching TV. Usually 10-20 of each and just keep alternating between them until the show comes back on.

Comment

How do you guys feel about dips? I don't box but I do regular weight training and I've found dips are the most important part of my chest exercise. I hit chest twice a week. The first day I hit it I do 5 sets of 10 dips where I lean forward as much as possible so I really feel it on my chest. The second time I do it that week I wear a weighted belt of 50 pounds and do 3 sets of 8. I've seen the best results for chest doing dips. It's really made it thicker overall and given me that nice seperated look up top. I've also noticed it's made me much stronger than when I was only doing weights.

Comment

Currently I follow tha routine on reddit; look up Reddit Bodyweight Fitness Reccomended Routine

It has far exceeded my expectations, the basic premise of it is- " if you can do 50 pushups already, why the hell are you doing pushups? Do diamond pushups or pseudo planche pushups - do harder things" same goes for dips, pullups, rows, and tucked l sits/l sits which work more core than any single crunch I've done in my life. Seriously. I've gotten some serious gains from adding this into my boxing routine over the past month, I reccomend some of you vets look at it. There is an app for it as well.

This is a completely structured full body workout, but doesn't have enough emphasis on legs. Instead of squats try barbell/weighted squats of deads if you fancy. Otherwise its fully calisthenics. I've gone from 5 full form pullups to 10, and pushups are pretty much a cakewalk. Really surprised.
              Last edited by Red109; 02-10-2016, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Red109 View Post
                Currently I follow tha routine on reddit; look up Reddit Bodyweight Fitness Reccomended Routine

It has far exceeded my expectations, the basic premise of it is- " if you can do 50 pushups already, why the hell are you doing pushups? Do diamond pushups or pseudo planche pushups - do harder things" same goes for dips, pullups, rows, and tucked l sits/l sits which work more core than any single crunch I've done in my life. Seriously. I've gotten some serious gains from adding this into my boxing routine over the past month, I reccomend some of you vets look at it. There is an app for it as well.

This is a completely structured full body workout, but doesn't have enough emphasis on legs. Instead of squats try barbell/weighted squats of deads if you fancy. Otherwise its fully calisthenics. I've gone from 5 full form pullups to 10, and pushups are pretty much a cakewalk. Really surprised.
                ^^^SPAM^^^^^
                but any ways heres my daily routine
                4 sets 25 push ups
                4 sets 25 sit ups
                2 mile run
                4 sets 25 push ups
                4 sets 25 cruches

Comment

Originally posted by kilojay505 View Post
                  ^^^SPAM^^^^^
                  but any ways heres my daily routine
                  4 sets 25 push ups
                  4 sets 25 sit ups
                  2 mile run
                  4 sets 25 push ups
                  4 sets 25 cruches
                  That's a terrific routine. Minimalist but hits pretty much everything.

I don't know about doing it every day though. But if it works for you then who cares what others think.

Comment

leg raises 4 sets of 50
                    crunches 4 sets of 50

next day alternate
                    2 sets of 25 situps
                    2 sets of planks

have weekends off core.

should do more pushups lol
                    only do 2 sets of 20 after my heavy bag work out which is every 2nd day
                    no pushups on weekend as well.

that is my situp and pushup routine.

Comment

Working...
                    X