Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Floyd Mayweather is in my top 3 of all time let the hate begin!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
    Not even in my top 50 all-time....let the hate begin!
    Good thing your opinion doesn’t matter

Comment

• Originally posted by robertzimmerman View Post
      And??

Again, apply context.

Ray Leonard lost to Duran.

What win does Floyd have at the weight that matches up?

Hearns lost to Ray. Yet he beat Benitez. What win does Floyd have that matches up?

Those guys lost now and again, because they were all ATG's who fought other ATG's in their primes.

The 'Fab Four" all beat each other.

That's what happens when you match truly outstanding fighters up with each other.

Who did Floyd beat at WW?

Do you seriously think he'd have been unbeaten at WW if he'd have fought Ray, Duran, Hearns and Benitez?

Floyd was great. But he fought lesser guys.

Ray going 3-1 against Duran, Benitez and Hearns, eclipses Floyd's however many wins at the weight.

It's quality not quantity.

Floyd can't be considered the greatest WW of all time.
      If Ray had fought in the 12 round era he would have lost the first fight to Hearns. He was losing that fight until he got a stoppage in the 13th or 14th round.

If you claim someone like Canelo was too young when he faced Floyd you also have to remember Benitez was even younger when he faced Leonard than Canelo was when he faced Floyd.

Duran was considered an all time great light weight. NO one considers him an all time great welterweight and even then he still whooped Leonard's ass at Leonard's supposed best weight class. Most pound for pound all time great lists place Pacquiao and De La Hoya above Duran and Hearns. So wins over those guys likely eclipse wins over Duran and Hearns. Before you say those guys were past it you must remember that they were still reigning and defending champions when they faced Floyd who was no spring chicken himself either.

Comment

• Originally posted by chrisJS View Post
        Benitez was already an established hall of fame fighter by the time he fought Leonard. He defeated the great Antonio Cervantes at 140 for a major title and then the hall of fame Carlos Palomino at 147. Different era too fighters peaked younger. These days we don't see that. Canelo still has yet to meet Benitez' accomplishments pre-Leonard much less his overall career and he never will. He's just not that caliber of fighter. Canelo was a young fighter (by today's standards) coming off a controversial decision over Austin Trout. Trout would be shut out by Benitez.

You can't place Oscar above Hagler that's just incredibly wrong. This multi weight sensation is a relatively new phenomenon but cleaning out an entire division should be respected more by newer fans. I'll take undisputed or majority unified over a single belt in multiple divisions especially if the wins are better. Besides watch them fight. Hagler is so much better than De La Hoya.

Mayweather is great nobody questions it but it's tedious how this site at least his fans try to big up every win and talk down any other boxers wins by just looking at boxrec. I've seen in this thread and others that Judah, Corrales, Hatton are better than Hearns, Benitez and Hagler which are some of the dumbest things I've ever seen on any subject ever. I saw earlier that Chageav, Povetkin were better than Frazier, Liston and Sam Peter was as good as Foreman and the KLits were better than Ali. This forum is nuts.
        People who claim Canelo was too young when he faced Floyd are a symptom of this generations need to baby grown men. 23 is a man, not a boy, and Canelo was 42-0 with 30 knockouts when he faced Floyd which means he was older and had more professional experience than Benitez had when Benitez faced Leonard. Canelo also already had 6 successful title defenses of his WBC light middleweight belt before he lost to Mayweather.

Comment

• don't sit here and listen to these guys prop up the paper champs floyd beat to all-time greats who had to beat all-time greats to secure their legacy...

Comment

• Originally posted by Johnwoo8686 View Post
            People who claim Canelo was too young when he faced Floyd are a symptom of this generations need to baby grown men. 23 is a man, not a boy, and Canelo was 42-0 with 30 knockouts when he faced Floyd which means he was older and had more professional experience than Benitez had when Benitez faced Leonard. Canelo also already had 6 successful title defenses of his WBC light middleweight belt before he lost to Mayweather.
            So if Canelo retired before Mayweather and Benitez retired before Leonard you'd say Canelo had a better career?

Benitez EARNED his titles against two hall of fame fighters in their prime (Cervantes was actually great) and defeated top contenders that were better than Trout (who plenty felt beat Canelo). Canelo was gifted the WBC title and even came in over weight but the WBC said "**** it" anyway. If Benitez had that preferential treatment and in this era where title defenses are more common by age 23 he'd have probably made close to 20 defenses. Canelo was a grown man but in Boxing terms he was clearly far away from his prime. He's arguably only entered his prime in the last year or two the difference in him as a fighter and his experience are far more vast now. Canelo at 23 is getting shut out by Benitez, probably stopped by Leonard and he's getting waxed by Duran, Hearns and Hagler in ugly fashion. He's also not beating Palamino, Davey Moore, Ayub Kalule and a fighter the caliber of Cervantes.

You really think Canelo had better credentials and is a better fighter? That's INSANE.
            Last edited by chrisJS; 03-16-2018, 12:15 PM.

Comment

• I don't hate you for it, I just know not to take you seriously from now on.

Comment

• Originally posted by robertzimmerman View Post
                An undefeated record has to be put into context. Otherwise Rocky Marciano was a better HW than Muhammad Ali.
                yeah i know. which is why i dont rate wilders 40-0 but i rate mayweathers 50-0

Comment

• Originally posted by chrisJS View Post
                  So if Canelo retired before Mayweather and Benitez retired before Leonard you'd say Canelo had a better career?

Benitez EARNED his titles against two hall of fame fighters in their prime (Cervantes was actually great) and defeated top contenders that were better than Trout (who plenty felt beat Canelo). Canelo was gifted the WBC title and even came in over weight but the WBC said "**** it" anyway. If Benitez had that preferential treatment and in this era where title defenses are more common by age 23 he'd have probably made close to 20 defenses. Canelo was a grown man but in Boxing terms he was clearly far away from his prime. He's arguably only entered his prime in the last year or two the difference in him as a fighter and his experience are far more vast now. Canelo at 23 is getting shut out by Benitez, probably stopped by Leonard and he's getting waxed by Duran, Hearns and Hagler in ugly fashion. He's also not beating Palamino, Davey Moore, Ayub Kalule and a fighter the caliber of Cervantes.

You really think Canelo had better credentials and is a better fighter? That's INSANE.
                  I honestly believe Canelo would wax Duran. No come forward fighter with a smaller reach is taking on Canelo, a hard hitting counter puncher. Benitez is really only talked about when Leonard and Hearns are brought up. People rarely talk about him otherwise. And Benitez won his title fight via split decision in a fight many also thought he lost so you can't use close fights as a means to bash Canelo.

So yes, I would put a 42-0 two division champion who was 23 over a 38-0 two division champion who was 21.

Comment

I honestly believe Canelo would wax Duran. No come forward fighter with a smaller reach is taking on Canelo, a hard hitting counter puncher. Benitez is really only talked about when Leonard and Hearns are brought up. People rarely talk about him otherwise. And Benitez won his title fight via split decision in a fight many also thought he lost so you can't use close fights as a means to bash Canelo.

So yes, I would put a 42-0 two division champion who was 23 over a 38-0 two division champion who was 21.
                    Canelo wasn't a two division champion at 23.

Benitez beat Cervantes clearly and nobody really thinks Palamino won. Even the judge that gave Palamino the fight said "The sun was in my eyes" when he was quizzed on his crazy score card.

Benitez is not only brought up when Hearns and Leonard are discussed. He's the youngest ever world champion (and he was a much more legit champ than Canelo who was gifted his first title), he has three clear wins over three hall of famers and was one of the best fighters of his generation which is considered one of the greatest in Boxing history. He's always talked about when people talk about the best defensive fighters ever and among the most naturally talented fighters ever. He's also one of the greatest Puerto Rican fighters ever and one of the greatest Latino fighters in general.

Canelo barely got by the much smaller, older Cotto what's he going to do with the Duran that showed up for title fights like the one we saw against Moore or Barkley and the one who gave Hagler hell? Against that 23 year old Canelo who was still very raw? He wrecks him.

Comment

If Ray had fought in the 12 round era he would have lost the first fight to Hearns. He was losing that fight until he got a stoppage in the 13th or 14th round.

If you claim someone like Canelo was too young when he faced Floyd you also have to remember Benitez was even younger when he faced Leonard than Canelo was when he faced Floyd.

Duran was considered an all time great light weight. NO one considers him an all time great welterweight and even then he still whooped Leonard's ass at Leonard's supposed best weight class. Most pound for pound all time great lists place Pacquiao and De La Hoya above Duran and Hearns. So wins over those guys likely eclipse wins over Duran and Hearns. Before you say those guys were past it you must remember that they were still reigning and defending champions when they faced Floyd who was no spring chicken himself either.
                      But if it was a 12 round fight it would be a totally different fight.

Comment

Working...
                      X