Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fights that were seen as very close going in, but ended up very one-sided.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it depends on what constitutes "seen as close"

Seen as close on this board? Or seen as close as in the odds. If it's the latter then fights like Broner/Maidana, Pavlik/Hopkins, Margarito/Mosley wouldn't really apply, because the eventual losers were all heavily favored. Which in a way makes it worse, lol.

Comment

Cotto vs Pac

But tainted by allegations of a weight drained Cotto and a roid using Pac.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
        Roy-toney

Lennox-ruddock, Golata, grant

Wlad- haye, Povetkin,

Gatti-doran

Mosely-margarito

Brook-Porter

Oscar-chavez 1

Toney-holyfield
        That's a very good example. But I didn't see Chavez-Delahoya 1 as a close fight. I knew Chavez was too small and faded at that point for Delahoya.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
          That's a very good example. But I didn't see Chavez-Delahoya 1 as a close fight. I knew Chavez was too small and faded at that point for Delahoya.
          True, but I never thought chavez would get beatdown so bad that he stops after 4 rds.. It was a total lopsided blowout... Going into it I thought chavez would lose a UD never imagined him getting destroyed like that.. He actually performed much better a few years later in the rematch..

Comment

Originally posted by DreamerUSA View Post
            It was 5 years between Toney fighting McCallum the first time and Roy fighting him. Also Toney and Roy fought before Roy ever faced McCallum, so I'm not sure what relevance it has to this conversation.
            When Toney fought McCallum the second time he still struggled. Despite Roy walking through him.

In terms of caliber of fighter, Toney was never in Jones' class. All he had was defense and countering. He didn't have speed, he didn't have power. He wasn't explosive. He could block and avoid punches, he could counter with the best of them, but that's all he had. I'm a Toney fan but let's be real.

Now, if you asked me who would win between James Toney and somebody like Gerald McCllelan? I'd go with Toney by wide UD every time.

Originally posted by DreamerUSA View Post
            you said you knew of no one that thought Toney would do anything other than get schooled.
            That's fact.

Comparison: Tyson Holyfield 2. THAT was considered a 50/50 fight despite Tyson having a more dominant run. The reason is that Holyfield's style at the time would have given Tyson major problems and Tyson was increasingly risk averse compared to his younger years.

Comparison: Jones/Tarver 1. I know of nobody who thought Antonio Tarver had even a remote chance against Jones despite Jones' age.

Comparison: Mayweather/Pacquiao. Only Pacquiao hardcores believed Manny had a chance. His style was never compatible against Floyd's style especially if Marquez couldn't get it done.

Comparison: Broner/Maidana. THAT was a good example where a fighter was widely believed to school his opponent and failed. Broner getting manhandled the way he did was unexpected considering the caliber of both fighters going in.

Comparison: Judah/Malignaggi. Nobody will convince me that Judah didn't throw this fight.

Comment

Working...
            X