No announcement yet.

Comeback George Foreman vs. Current Vitali

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
    Huh? Foreman has a 2 inch reach advantage over Vitali. If anything it's VITALI who would have to "get inside".
    Your reach alone doesn't determine how good an outside fighter you are. Lennox had a 4 inch reach advantage on Vitali. Didn't stop him from landing hard shots on the outside, did it?

Stylistically, the only outside punch Foreman would be able to land with any regularity against Vitali would be his jab. His power punches would be far too slow and telegraphed to pose much of a problem IMO, unless he got on the inside and bombed away to the body.

Vitali has a clear advantage on the outside.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Blue Yonda View Post
      You could do some learning yourself, like on the distinction between Foreman in 1990-91 and Foreman in 96-97.
      Foreman had one significant fight in 90-91 and he lost to Holyfield?

Comment

Originally posted by It's Ovah View Post
        Your reach alone doesn't determine how good an outside fighter you are. Lennox had a 4 inch reach advantage on Vitali. Didn't stop him from landing hard shots on the outside, did it?
        Every fighter, even the best defensive fighters, get hit. Having a reach advantage or being the better outside fighter doesn't mean you're going the pitch a shutout on the compubox stats. The next shutout I see will be the first. And btw, with elite fighters the reach is a pretty damn good indicator of whether they're a good outside fighter or not.

Originally posted by It's Ovah View Post
        Stylistically, the only outside punch Foreman would be able to land with any regularity against Vitali would be his jab. His power punches would be far too slow and telegraphed to pose much of a problem IMO, unless he got on the inside and bombed away to the body.

Vitali has a clear advantage on the outside.
        Vitali is no defensive wizard nor is he a speed merchant. The man is NOT hard to hit, not at all. Even a well past-it out-of-shape Lewis was able to tag Vitali with ease. Vitali's stock in trade is his chin and toughness: He can shake off most opponents punches or walk through them. I doubt he'd be able to do that against a Foreman of circa 1992. He may out work George.....hell, he probably WOULD outwork George, but he'd still get tagged and tagged hard. And from the outside too.

And btw, when did George EVER "get in the box" except when he had an opponent trapped on the ropes? In the middle of the ring George always kept his opponents on the end of his punches (where the maximum power is). That's why in practically every fight you'd see him shoving his opponents back: Because he wanted them out on the end of his punches.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
          Foreman had one significant fight in 90-91 and he lost to Holyfield?
          Vitali had one significant fight in his career and lost to Lewis.

Poet

Comment

Oh my god learn the difference between reach and arm length and Vitali is taller which adds even more of a length advantage
            Like, OMG, learn the that salient attribute in boxing is "reach" not "length" you ignorant ****tard.

Just admit it: The only reason you're so obsessed with "length" is due to your own lack of it. Go see your doctor for some Endzite or else invest in tweezers.....but stop projecting all you pathological insecurities onto this board.

Poet

Comment

Vitali had one significant fight in his career and lost to Lewis.

Poet
              you got a point, and a pretty lethargic overweight Lewis as well.

I was just going to say Vitali would get a UD, but come to think of it anything can happen.

I'm gonna say Vitali by decision, although I could see foreman stopping Wlad. Even though he was slow in his come back he did hurt oponents bad but didnt have the hand speed too finish. We also saw him tear through 6'6 Cooney so I don't think the height advantage will be a big deal. Foreman was actually a good boxer, I think his jab would play a key role.

prime for prime he tears them both a new ******* however.

Comment

Vitali is no defensive wizard nor is he a speed merchant. The man is NOT hard to hit, not at all. Even a well past-it out-of-shape Lewis was able to tag Vitali with ease.
                Out of interest I just re-watched the Vitali-Lewis bout. In the last two rounds Lewis was catching him with over FIFTY PERCENT of his punches. You ship that amount of traffic from a big puncher consistently and you're going down - irrespective of how hard your chin is.

Comment

Originally posted by Mugwump View Post
                  Out of interest I just re-watched the Vitali-Lewis bout. In the last two rounds Lewis was catching him with over FIFTY PERCENT of his punches. You ship that amount of traffic from a big puncher consistently and you're going down - irrespective of how hard your chin is.
                  You might have noticed that Vitali had a major cut around his eye. Impaired vision effects your defense.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
                    You might have noticed that Vitali had a major cut around his eye. Impaired vision effects your defense.
                    It's not like Lewis was missing before the cut.

Comment

An older Vitali is still more than good enough to dominate the calibur of guys Foreman was getting gift decisions against
                      Um.... you mean like Shannon Briggs?

Comment

Working...
                      X