Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Most Significant Boxing Match in History? -- Mayweather-McGregor?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
    ...I'm sure there are some cats saying its impossible, but I'm not one of them like I already mentioned. I've seen enough crazy sh^t to know in a fight either guy can win & has some chance to win even if its a fraction of 1% (shame on Max Kellerman who I respect for saying otherwise cuz its for sure wrong & usually even when I disagree with Max I don't feel he's as wrong in his opinion about this fight)...

Back to the actual subject finally? Nice lol.

Feel free to feel that way. I got no beef with your confidence in that not happening. But just like I'm of the belief Conor has some tiny chance to win or make it interesting or look fair all things considered while clearly losing logic would dictate there is also the chance Conor could get clowned. And personally I feel like the chance of Conor being clowned has a better chance of happening then him winning. And I don't believe there is any controversy in that statement among people that know either sport or both sports. We've seen more proven guys in both sports be clowned in fights...
    Just to be clear, I'm saying that it is most likely that Conor WILL be schooled and out-classed. But Conor WON'T get "clowned." I think there's a difference. And just wanted to make that distinction.

Yea I've said that myself from early on. Conor can win, make it interesting, be clearly beaten or be clowned or anything in between & its a W on the night for him basically. Hell if he legit went into MMA mode & got himself DQ'd or something crazy idk if that even ends up being a L for him in the manner in which you & I agree...
    Woah, now that would be a whole different story. If he throws a knee or something like that, nah, that would not be a Win. Conor is a punk-bttch if does that shht. He'd lose a lot of MMA's respect for that. It probably sounds corny, but there is some level of "honor" in martial artists even in this day-n-age.

However, sticking an elbow out, using it to post on Mayweather's neck... a bit of clinching-up, pushing and muscling Floyd around... I'm sure he'll (try to) do that. That'd be within reason.

LOL hey man I respect your dream. I just think logically you have to be dreaming to have much confidence in Conor's path to success in this fight is maybe the problem. Conor's path to victory depends on the last 2 years Floyd has been out of the ring to have massively impacted what he can do in the ring in 2.5 months first & foremost. If 70% of the guy who fought Berto comes in the ring in August Conor's chance to win just went down drastically.
    Humor me. If you were playing devil's advocate, what do you see POSSIBLY, MAYBE, being an edge or an angle that Conor could exploit against Floyd? Is there anything?!

P.S.
    How much does Reach matter?

Conor = 74"
    Oscar = 73"
    Chris van Heerden = 72"
    Mayweather = 72"
    Zab Judah = 72"
    Canelo = 70.5"
    Mosely = 70"
    Maidana = 69"
    Berto = 68.5"
    Pacquiao = 67"
    Marquez = 67"
    Cotto = 67"
    Hatton= 65"
    Last edited by USMCer; 06-15-2017, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Ireland will give him Dublin if he wins

Comment

Originally posted by USMCer View Post
        Just to be clear, I'm saying that it is most likely that Conor WILL be schooled and out-classed. But Conor WON'T get "clowned." I think there's a difference. And just wanted to make that distinction.
        I understand your distinction & I couldn't disagree with it more is what I've been saying.

Just like we both agree Conor could win this fight, Conor could get completely clowned in this fight. I think you're being fanboy-ish &/or unreasonable to suggest one unlikely outcome is possible, a Conor W, & another outcome, Conor getting clowned" & one that I'd argue is more likely to happen then Conor winning is impossible.

I think you are as off base as the guys who think Conor has 0% chance to win with that stance.

Woah, now that would be a whole different story. If he throws a knee or something like that, nah, that would not be a Win.
        I'm not saying it would be a W for him I'm just not so sure it'd be a L. I think some MMA cats & some Floyd haters, of which there are many, would LOVE if that happened just to name two groups who'd have that as a avatar gif within 3 days of that going down.

Conor is a punk-bttch if does that shht. He'd lose a lot of MMA's respect for that. It probably sounds corny, but there is some level of "honor" in martial artists even in this day-n-age.
        I don't disagree with this more or less & by no means am I suggesting thats any sort of probably outcome I'm merely speculating on how much of a win win situation this is for Conor.

Humor me. If you were playing devil's advocate, what do you see POSSIBLY, MAYBE, being an edge or an angle that Conor could exploit against Floyd? Is there anything?!
        I've already mentioned his biggest opportunity in this fight in probably this thread & for many threads the last day or further back.

Conor needs to capitalize on his awkwardness (to the typical boxer). Its not uncommon for highly skilled & experienced boxers to have trouble with guys who don't "box like you're supposed to". The more classically boxer-ish Conor comes in as the more his chances go down cuz Floyd has ran into that a million times & dominated those guys in sparring & real fights a million times. Conor's chance lays in being awkward & hurting Floyd early & badly before he adapts & times him. I think the only way Conor can really win is by KO, cuz he's unlikely to have great stamina in a new sport when he's shown subpar stamina in his own sport when taken deep & has only fought past the 10min mark twice. Floyd spars 10min+ rounds in training. Floyd's stamina is insane. So the more time Floyd has the more things slide his way via the stamina advantage + his ability to adapt to other fighters style as the fight goes on. And we aren't even getting into the boxing skill difference yet cuz I'm looking for a path to victory for Conor not looking for reasons he'll fail.

So Conor's chances to win maybe start out 5%ish max in that first round & start going down quickly round by round til he gots an under 1% chance to win around the 4th or 5th round probably. And this is an optimistic take on Conor's chances cuz I don't want the 0% to win guys to flip out on me about giving Conor a 5/95 chance to win at the bell ringing. (And in fairness the sportbooks are giving Conor about a 12% chance to win based on the betting odds).

P.S.
        How much does Reach matter?

Conor = 74"
        Oscar = 73"
        Chris van Heerden = 72"
        Mayweather = 72"
        Zab Judah = 72"
        Canelo = 70.5"
        Mosely = 70"
        Maidana = 69"
        Berto = 68.5"
        Pacquiao = 67"
        Marquez = 67"
        Cotto = 67"
        Hatton= 65"
        If Conor had a great jab or was the better boxer it might matter. The guys who's had the most success with Floyd have been up on Floyd's chest all night & pressuring him non-stop. Which as you probably know isn't gonna be something Conor can do for very long with his gas tank which is why most cats in the know about both guys likely overstate Conor as having zero chance to win cuz Conor's strengths aren't even Floyd's weaknesses.

Now if Francis Ngannou was fighting Anthony Joshua on Aug. 26 we could be having a more interesting talk about Ngannou coming into a new sport & beating a boxing champion in his first boxing match.

Comment

Originally posted by revelated View Post
          Yeah but at least James Toney put up a fight doe
          No he didn't...he stood there while Couture circled for a few seconds and shot for a single leg take down with success and punched him a few times and then choked him out. The fight lasted about a min and Toney was never in it.

Comment

Originally posted by jaded View Post
            No he didn't...he stood there while Couture circled for a few seconds and shot for a single leg take down with success and punched him a few times and then choked him out. The fight lasted about a min and Toney was never in it.
            Which is better than what CM Punk did.

Comment

WITNESS.

We are watching the evolution of Boxing is right now.

Comment

If by some miracle Conor can pull it off, it would be the biggest upset in boxing history. Yes, bigger than Tyson - Douglas.

Comment

Dontae's Boxing Nation -
                  - Imma go ahead and have to declare this press conference today [Toronto] as the greatest press conference of all time. This was the greatest rap battle of all time.

Man, Mayweather and Conor McGregor, they have CHANGED THE GAME when it comes to promoting a fight. No doubt about it.

Imma tell you something right now, deep down, every Boxer, every promoter that's not part of this event, they're saying 'Damn! Why couldn't we be a part of this!?'

This is some serious History In The Making right here guys.

Last edited by USMCer; 07-13-2017, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by A-Wolf View Post
                    If McGregor defeated Mayweather it would be considered one of the greatest moments in the history of sport on planet Earth and would elevate McGregor to cartoonish levels of iconic. He'd be side by side with Pele, Michael Jordan, Secretariat and Babe Ruth.
                    Nobody gives a **** about Babe Ruth or that horse outside of USA. Probably Michael Jordan too for that matter.

If you're talking about WORLDWIDE popularity, then McGregor is probably more known than Babe Ruth ever was. Only about 3 countries play baseball.

Pele is an worldwide sporting icon, Muhammad Ali is. Nobody outside of the USA really knows who Babe Ruth is.
                    Last edited by TheBigLug; 07-13-2017, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by USMCer View Post
                      If, if, if McGregor beats Mayweather, where would that bout rank in terms of significance, importance, in Boxing history?
                      Regardless of who wins, this fight has ZERO significance where boxing history is concerned.

Comment

Working...
                      X