No announcement yet.

What if: Michalczewski 49-0?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What if: Michalczewski 49-0?

What if Dariusz Michalczewski had beaten Julio Cesar Gonzales to get to 49-0 and retired tying Rocky Marciano's career mark, how would he be remembered? The Jones fight never materializing is a black mark against him, but thats as much Jones fault as it is Michalczewski's in my opinion. He has a solid resume, but far from great. Would he have been remembered more like Calzaghe, or more like Sven Otkke?

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
    What if Dariusz Michalczewski had beaten Julio Cesar Gonzales to get to 49-0 and retired tying Rocky Marciano's career mark, how would he be remembered? The Jones fight never materializing is a black mark against him, but thats as much Jones fault as it is Michalczewski's in my opinion. He has a solid resume, but far from great. Would he have been remembered more like Calzaghe, or more like Sven Otkke?
    More like Calzaghe than Ottke, but nothing like Marciano. Spending his entire career in Europe and never fighting Roy Jones just limits his impact.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
      More like Calzaghe than Ottke, but nothing like Marciano. Spending his entire career in Europe and never fighting Roy Jones just limits his impact.
      But he DID beat some non-European fighters, Montell Griffin, Richard Hall, Derrick Harmon and most notably Virgil Hill. And he beat them convincingly too.

Comment

I thought DM could have easily gotten the nod against Gonzalez. I personally thought he lost, but he didn't get the benefit on the doubt like Calzaghe did against Hopkins and Ottke did against Brewer in the first fight. Both of which they could easily have lost. He wouldn't be remembered like Ottke because he knocked people out, from the Hill fight in 97 to Gonzalez in 2003, nobody lasted the distance with him. He would have been remembered as one of the best LHW's of all time if he retired at 49-0. Even though the Jones fight didn't materialize.

Comment

Originally posted by Pastrano View Post
          But he DID beat some non-European fighters, Montell Griffin, Richard Hall, Derrick Harmon and most notably Virgil Hill. And he beat them convincingly too.
          you saw all those fights? heard he had some issues with hall the first time around, not true?

Comment

Originally posted by Blah! View Post
            you saw all those fights? heard he had some issues with hall the first time around, not true?
            Both Hall fights were tough, gr8 wars. But Dariusz stopped him both times, he beat him up so badly they had to stop it. Ofc, Dariusz himself had an anvil jaw, that helped.
            Last edited by Pastrano; 05-03-2011, 07:11 AM.

Comment

everybody knows he had a crappy version of the title and unlike Rocky could never really claim to be the true champ of his division, I mean does anybody here doubt that RJJ would have taken him apart? (Also if jones hadn't been disqualified against Griffin wouldn't he also have gotten to nearly 49-0 too? - can't remember the exact numbers but wasn't he like 47/48 and 1 going into the first tarver fight?)
              Last edited by Daddy T; 05-04-2011, 02:38 AM.

Comment

49-0 might have looked good but it is just a number. Turning around and getting ko'd by Tiozzo would have placed it in the proper perspective.

Comment

Working...
                X