Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loma/Lopez: Rewatched Round 12. My perception of Teofimo has changed.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loma/Lopez: Rewatched Round 12. My perception of Teofimo has changed.

My new dream fight: Teofimo Lopez vs. Chino Maidana at a catchweight.

The fight was so fast I missed a lot of this the first time around, but damn. Lopez is a dirty MF'er.

- Strong arm/elbow
    - Palm strike
    - Heisman straightarm
    - Elbow to keep range
    - Shoulder blocks
    - Shoulder tackles
    - Ducking beneath the belt line
    - Hitting off the break
    - Throwing elbow like a punch (shades of Otto 'All In' Wallin)
    - Elbow to the side of the head in the trench

If Kenny Bayless were reffing this fight, Teo would have had a lot of points deducted.

Bonus moment is Teo uppercutting himself (shades of Tyson Fury) around the 6:30-ish mark.

BUT...this video showcases that this round was a straight up chess match. Both guys had good moments and bad. At no point (and you can see for yourself) was either guy in any danger of getting stopped or knocked out.

Loma did NOT get dominated for people who properly count jabs, because Lopez was getting as good as he was giving - Loma even nails a BEAUTIFUL uppercut and a sweet leaping left hand midway through, plus blocks a right uppercut with his left glove (usually it's the right glove to deflect or catch), and like I said, Lopez had good body work for about 20 seconds of the round.

Meanwhile, Lomachenko was the constant aggressor, which was the right strategy, and really what he should have been doing from Round 2 onward. Because Lopez didn't look tired in Round 12, so assume he wasn't, it meant that Loma could have walked the bigger guy down.

Regardless, Round 12 was NOT decisive for Lopez.

Don't come at me with your opinion. WATCH the video. Pause at punches. DON'T ignore the jab - from either guy. Jab Lives Matter.

This is probably my favorite round in all of modern boxing.

It's not rock-em-sock-em robots like Bradley/Provodnikov.
    It's not sloppy defense like Ortiz/Berto.
    It's not one-sided spanking like Mayweather/Pacquiao 1.
    It's not random jobber street fighting like KSI/Paul 2.

This Round 12 is what I love most about the sport - a 50/50 fight with SKILL on display from both guys.

(And yes, I still say Loma did enough to pull it out because Lopez missed more than he connected).
    Last edited by Combat Talk Radio; 10-20-2020, 01:56 PM.

Originally posted by revelated View Post
    Because Lopez didn't tired in Round 12, so assume he wasn't, it meant that Loma could have walked the bigger guy down.
    I would say teo's punches had lost some snap by that stage!

if they hadn't then he is a real beast!

Comment

Hitting yourself with an upper shows future greatness

manny hut himself in the head with an upper

So did Fury

Now Teo

Comment

Alright, I definitely thought Lopez landed more bodyshots in that round. Some of them just looked like it in real time. The forearm push offs were apparent even without slow mo. However I don't think too much of it, it didn't appear too excessive, but it's a weakness in Lopez's inside game, especially as he tires. Anyhow, great round.

edit: and Loma's defense is still a thing of beauty when slipping punches so close to his opponent. And Lopez proved he's elite with a very well-rounded performance.
        Last edited by SCEN3RY; 10-20-2020, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Songbird View Post
          I would say teo's punches had lost some snap by that stage!

if they hadn't then he is a real beast!
          His punches even when blocked were still making Loma back up when thrown straight, so no, he had snap still.

Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
          Hitting yourself with an upper shows future greatness

manny hut himself in the head with an upper

So did Fury

Now Teo
          Good point.

Comment

Watching that in slow motion it looks like Loma won that round 12

Comment

the ref never got a grip on the fight, what lopez was doing on the inside wasnt boxing to me

Comment

Any other excuses tonight Roy?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Madison boxing View Post
                    the ref never got a grip on the fight, what lopez was doing on the inside wasnt boxing to me
                    It was boxing according to NSB. Just like when Chino did it to Floyd and they celebrated.

Comment

Working...
                    X