No announcement yet.

Greb's resume vs. Robinson's resume?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greb's resume vs. Robinson's resume?

Harry Greb is generally considered the 2nd greatest p4p fighter of all time after Robinson

alot of people actually think he should be number 1, but the reason many have been against placing him as number 1 is for the sole fact that there is hardly any footage of him

on a pure resume basis, how does Greb's resume stack up to Robinson's?

Both resumes are great. Like you mentioned, we have all that footage of Robinson. Tunney probably whips anyone on Robinson's resume, but Greb only beat him once himself when Tunney was a little green. I would not be absolutely sure that Greb could handle Lamotta, not sure at all. Greb/Robinson remains one of the great mythical matchups. If that tape of Greb vs Walker ever surfaces, we would have a lot more comparitively to go on as to how they might do against each other.

Well, the other big problem of appraising Greb's resume is that they are all just paper fights. We have hardly any footage of anyone he faced in the ring, let alone footage of him. I do not know how good the Hogue boys were, for instance. Even appraising the resumes is well nigh impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by MoneyKasha View Post
      Harry Greb is generally considered the 2nd greatest p4p fighter of all time after Robinson

alot of people actually think he should be number 1, but the reason many have been against placing him as number 1 is for the sole fact that there is hardly any footage of him

on a pure resume basis, how does Greb's resume stack up to Robinson's?
      Good question! yeah the lack of footage is problematic. Both men fought everyone. Where as Robinson had a workman like attitude, preferring to dance than to fight if given a choice of vocations, Greb was similar to James Toney: a man who loved to fight... Perhaps this is what held Greb together...that and chickenwire! as his eye, his body, all seemed to take a dive, yet there was Greb in the ring!

If money motivated a later Robinson, he sure loved money, because he was more than able to come through after retirement. Some feel that if Robinson had not killed a man in the ring...allegedlly after a dream he had telling him this would happen, we would have had an even more focused, deadly fighter...hard to imagine.

SO with both men it is scary how good they were: Greb had one eye for most of his career, Robinson was haunted by the mayhem he had caused....

Comment

I had the friendship of Lou Bogash Jr. whose dad fought everyone under the sun including Greb. In 1912 Bogash went the distance with Greb loosing a competitive fight. Bogash fought 127 pro bouts and was stopped ONCE!
        His son Lou Bogash Jr was a pro & amateur ref in Connecticut for many years and was a big help to me when I started boxing and then training.
        He told me that Greb was incredible at his best but that Robinson was a more complete boxer because of his ability to use lateral moves along with pressure punching.

I think their opponents quality is close but Robinson has a higher
        number of contenders and he always gave multiple rematches.

Two great champions that would have walk overs in the current climate. If the contenders at 160 won't take on GGG they'd retire before signing for Greb & Sugar.
        These men were mean people at the ring and wanted to inflict hurt and that's something you don't see in today's boxers. Most are searching for the last round and you NEVER see a fighter exhausted from max effort.

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
          These men were mean people at the ring and wanted to inflict hurt and that's something you don't see in today's boxers. Most are searching for the last round and you NEVER see a fighter exhausted from max effort.
          What a strange thing to say!

Take for example the recent Whyte vs Chisora fight... you really think they were just fooling around, looking for the last round, without giving 100%?

Comment

Greb and Robinson are my two p4p favorite fighters. Best match up p4p too. I would say Greb has the better resume as far as names but Robinson has the better resume as far as beating guys multiple times like Ray said.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.MojoRisin' View Post
              Greb and Robinson are my two p4p favorite fighters. Best match up p4p too. I would say Greb has the better resume as far as names but Robinson has the better resume as far as beating guys multiple times like Ray said.
              Greb beat far, far more opponents multiple times than Robinson did.

Comment

Originally posted by Bundana View Post
                Greb beat far, far more opponents multiple times than Robinson did.
                No, not really.

Comment

That Tunney win clinches it for me. Sure, Greb got his ass kicked by Tunney most of the rivalry, but Tunney was a fantastic boxer, and I can count the times the MW champion has beaten the HW champion of the world on my fingers. How many times has a MW champion beaten one of the greatest HWs of all time?

I mean I love Fitzs, but Corbett was a wimp. RJJ was one of the greatest, but Ruiz certainly wasn't. Even if you go into history guys like Daniel Mendoza and Tommy Sayer lifted their titles off weak champions. Even ancient days with Pythagoras of Samos, it's not like he had to face Theagenes or Melankomas.

It's a neat anecdote when a guy starts his career at MW ends up HW champion. When they actually get the MW title then beat the HW champion they joined an elite few. The number of guys to get the MW title and beat an ATG HW champ? I personally only know of Harry.

It's a close one though, so close I'd say my mood has more to do with my ultimate choice than there being any real legitimate claim for one over the other.

They lived in very different times. Boxed very differently under entirely different circumstances with a completely different atmosphere. Social acceptability plays a big roles in a fighter's career but also makes fighter's intangibles(accolades, bragging rights, etc) from different eras difficult to compare.
                  Last edited by Marchegiano; 02-22-2017, 10:14 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by Marchegiano View Post
                    I can count the times the MW champion has beaten the HW champion of the world on my fingers. How many times has a MW champion beaten one of the greatest HWs of all time?

It's a neat anecdote when a guy starts his career at MW ends up HW champion. When they actually get the MW title then beat the HW champion they joined an elite few. The number of guys to get the MW title and beat an ATG HW champ? I personally only know of Harry.
                    Ezzard Charles. Yes he never held MW title, but was best at weight without getting a shot. Same as at LHW. And he beat Joe Louis (yes on slide.)

Just to clarify, Tunney was not HW champion at time he fought Greb.

Comment

Working...
                    X