George Foreman's Top 10 Heavyweights

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George Foreman's Top 10 Heavyweights

George's Top 10, from his website:

1. Joe Louis. To be honest with you, number two is way off. Joe Louis is in a class by himself.

2. Rocky Marciano. Just look at Rocky Marciano's record. Nobody beat him. You can't take that from him.

3. Jack Johnson. A big brave cat, because he'd do whatever he wanted and get out of the way.

4. Muhammad Ali. Put him down as the GREATEST MAN to ever box, and a hero bigger than boxing. Once Ali lost his speed, it only showed that he'd never developed a great defense.

5. Joe Frazier. Only because he depended solely on his lefthook do I rate Joe Frazier below Marciano. Marciano could hit with both hands.

6. Jack Dempsey. Jack Dempsey's very name means strength and courage. Other than Joe Louis, there is not a name in boxing or in sports with more meaning.

7. Mike Tyson. A phenomenon. What Mike Tyson was able to do with his speed of hand and punching power is as phenomenal as what Muhammad Ali did when he was Cassius Clay with speed of feet. Tyson deserves to be in the top ten; this is where I put him, the youngest man to become Heavyweight Champion of the World.

8. Sonny Liston. If Sonny Liston truly had not lost his cool, had not underestimated a young Cassius Clay; and kept the same mind set that he had as a contender, history would have been a lot kinder to him. Sonny Liston could not believe Muhammad Ali was so fast and had so much courage. It just made him fall apart.

9. Floyd Patterson. The First Two-Time Heavyweight Champion of the World.

10. Evander Holyfield. For standing up to Mike Tyson.

As you see, I didn't make the list...

The first time around, George Foreman was too mean and too crude.

The second time around, too sophisticated and too publicity conscious to exploit his power...

Honorable Mention (Alphabetically ordered)

• Max Baer • Ezzard Charles • Jersey Joe Walcott
    Not the most intriguing descriptions, but interesting to see his opinion. Grasping at straws on his reasoning for excluding himself.

I thought George Foreman had Lennox Lewis at #1 HW of all time?

I guess he has come back around to sanity now.

Not the worst list but the order is all wrong.

Comment

Anyone notice how he included Ali in the top 5 but at the same time took shots at him for not having a textbook defense

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
        I thought George Foreman had Lennox Lewis at #1 HW of all time?

I guess he has come back around to sanity now.

Not the worst list but the order is all wrong.
        God knows long ago he made this particular list. I only got around to visiting his website for the first time today. Could even be old enough to pre-date some of Lewis' last few wins.

The biggest omission other than himself is obviously Larry Holmes, which I thought was amusing. Holmes doesn't even get honorable mention.

Comment

Big George's top 10 is among the worst I've seen.

Muhammad at 4, Marciano at 2, no Lennox or Holmes, weak reasoning for Holyfield.

Perhaps he means his favourite?

Comment

When I read the title I knew it was gonna induce some lols. Gotta love Big George

Comment

Originally posted by winky's right View Post
              When I read the title I knew it was gonna induce some lols. Gotta love Big George
              The weird thing is he says some really deep and meaningful stuff.

But it's NEVER about boxing. There it's normally wrong.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/7...h-will-be-left

Except this gem which made the NSB go crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by TAC602 View Post
                God knows long ago he made this particular list. I only got around to visiting his website for the first time today. Could even be old enough to pre-date some of Lewis' last few wins.

The biggest omission other than himself is obviously Larry Holmes, which I thought was amusing. Holmes doesn't even get honorable mention.
                Foreman did say Lewis was the best ever after the Tyson fight. Who knows whether he meant it. He has a history of making strange statements and contradicting himself. Knowing Holmes he probably has himself at #1 and Foreman and Tyson not even in the top 50!

These lists are a hiding to nothing really. Somebody's favourite is always going to be left out. Don't agree with Rocky over Ali, but overall his choices are solid. Can't argue with his #1 and most of the others he names are top ten worthy. The exact order of a top ten could be debated to the end of time. At this level there's not much to choose between them.

Comment

Originally posted by Kid McCoy View Post
                  Foreman did say Lewis was the best ever after the Tyson fight. Who knows whether he meant it. He has a history of making strange statements and contradicting himself. Knowing Holmes he probably has himself at #1 and Foreman and Tyson not even in the top 50!

These lists are a hiding to nothing really. Somebody's favourite is always going to be left out. Don't agree with Rocky over Ali, but overall his choices are solid. Can't argue with his #1 and most of the others he names are top ten worthy. The exact order of a top ten could be debated to the end of time. At this level there's not much to choose between them.
                  I don't know if any fighter or expert has said it yet, but I will,... Boxing lists are fish faeces really,...... I don't mind Georges list..... Unless we can go a place after death where all the greats are and see a tournament between the top 100 or so,.. we are all just having a bit of fun anyway, and George does have some right to make his own list...... reading between the lines I think George would have himself a spot above Frazier..... he was better than Frazier.

Comment

Fortunately for George, he can say whatever he wants and get away with it with minimal ridicule, no matter how silly. Why? Because to a man, Prime Foreman is knocking the block off of just about any fighter throughout history. I still wouldn't mess with that man. How much is made about Ali's victory in Zaire? What does it say about Foreman as a champion, fighter and opponent?
                    Last edited by TAC602; 10-17-2011, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X