Charles one dimensional?
    No offense to you or Charles but.....

Power - meh/so so
    Speed - very good
    Technique - Very good
    Size - good
    Ring IQ - decent
    Boxing ability - average

Jones had all that and then some. He had freakish power and speed at 160-168. Freakish.

Plus, you are really talking about a guy who lost to lesser fighter by being out boxed at times.

Jones didn't legitimately lose until he was 35 and shot really.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Goat View Post

Power - meh/so so
      Speed - very good
      Technique - Very good
      Size - good
      Ring IQ - decent
      Boxing ability - average

Jones had all that and then some. He had freakish power and speed at 160-168. Freakish.

Plus, you are really talking about a guy who lost to lesser fighter by being out boxed at times.

No.

Charles is one of the most rounded boxers ive ever seen. Ive seen him mix like a brawler inside, box peoples heads off, bang people out in a few rounds. He had it all. And he proved it vs multiple greats, sometimes multiple times.

Charles had 'meh' power, doe

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
        So Hopkins pre prime (great win though) and James Toney already looking out of shape and struggling with his weight?

Again, great win. But does it even come close to the amount of top level wins other great LHW's have?

Guys like Charles, Johnson, Moore, Tunney, Conn, Loughran have layers on layers of HoF level opponents and wins. Greb also from MW to LHW has an astonishing resume.

Also, saying he went from JMW is stretching the truth. He weighed in at the weight once in 74 bouts, and not at any sort of level, from what i can see on B'rec
        Not that those weren't great wins but fighters of that era simply would get obliterated by more modern fighters.

Just my opinion.

Comment

Awesome fighter, definitely top 10 of all time. The problem has been the last 10 years and all them KO losses along the way. If he had retired after the first tarver fight he would have been top 5 of all time.

Comment

Not that those weren't great wins but fighters of that era simply would get obliterated by more modern fighters.

Just my opinion.
            Fair enough. This debate is gonna down the old vs new path which i feel like ive done to death in here.

Agree to disagree

Comment

No.

Charles is one of the most rounded boxers ive ever seen. Ive seen him mix like a brawler inside, box peoples heads off, bang people out in a few rounds. He had it all. And he proved it vs multiple greats, sometimes multiple times.

Charles had 'meh' power, doe

His power was meh compared to Jones prime for prime. And I don't say 'doe'.

Charles was more known for his heavyweight run than a LHW one so I'm not sure why we're even having this conversation really anyways.

Comment

Charles was more known for his heavyweight run than a LHW one so I'm not sure why we're even having this conversation really anyways.
                Again. Just no. He's considered the greatest LHW of all time for a reason

If you dont know his career why talk about him?

Comment

Originally posted by ghost94 View Post
                  No disrespect to Roy Jones Jr. but he didn't face any fighter as good as Canelo or GGG at 160. He beat Hopkins a good 10 years before his prime. So in reality it'd be more like someone who's beat just Lemieux.

He did beat James Toney at 168 and he's better than DeGale, Smith and Groves all put together, so I'll give you that.

Anything beyond that is ridiculous though, he didn't beat anyone at 175 on the level of Ward or Kovalev.

If you want to give credit to Roy Jones Jr. give him credit for what he did in the ring and his actual resume, not comparing him hypothetically like this. If you'd like a more accurate interpretation it'd be more like if Charlo beat Lemieux at 160, beat DeGale, Smith, Ramirez, Groves and Dirrell at 168, Bivol, Stevenson, Smith Jr., Alvarez and Gvozdyk at 175, then Parker at heavyweight. Not that impressive when it's a realistic comparison, especially when trying to make a point of him being an all-time great. If you want proof of Roy being an all-time great, watch his fights and look no further.
                  What shows that Hopkins wasn't in his prime? Was Jones in his prime?

Comment

Fair enough. This debate is gonna down the old vs new path which i feel like ive done to death in here.

Agree to disagree
                    Fair enough, I explained why I think Jones was superior at 160-175 and that's all I could do but it was obvious that a lot of the fighters of a few generations ago were not quite what they are today.

Cheers on agreeing to disagree

Comment

Power - meh/so so
                      Speed - very good
                      Technique - Very good
                      Size - good
                      Ring IQ - decent
                      Boxing ability - average

Charles has one of the best Ring IQ's of all time.

Boxing ability average? His boxing ability is AMAZING.

Also, he definitely wasn't more known for his work at HW. His best and most accomplished weight is by far 175.

Comment

Working...
                      X