Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Miguel Cotto is overrated and has had the easiest way to title shots the past 20 yrs.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doesn't matter that they are vacant titles. Not when you consider how the sanctioning bodies rank fighters and how they determine who the mandatories are. Look at Stiverne, how is he a mandatory for Wilder after two years of inactivity? How was Jeff Horn ranked #2 by WBO? Look at the quality of opposition many fighters get some of their titles from such as Floyd, Manny and Malignaggi. Did Paulie ever beat a world class fighter for any of his titles? Yet he gets a lot of exposure and big fights for some reason. Cotto is a great fighter and a very entertaining one at that. Doesn't bother me if he gets title shots so long as he is competitive and willing to fight the best.

Comment

Originally posted by iamboxing View Post
      Thank you. Sums up Cotto's career perfectly. Can't believe he's being **** on.
      Yep, imo cotto is an excellent fighter...very solid fundamentals

Comment

Originally posted by JakeTheBoxer View Post
        How is Cotto overrated, dude fought everybody, ducked nobody?
        Because each time he stepped up he got his a** kicked. Canelo, Mayweather and Pacquiao all killed him. Even Austin Trout beat him, and at this point, who the hell is Austin Trout?

Comment

He was great earlier on pre Margarito.

After that he turned into a huge diva.

I would have loved to see him fight Hatton.

Comment

Yeah he's career post-147 has been underwhelming. Still a good fighter but not the formidable force he was before Margarito.

Comment

I like Cotto and think the Kamegai fight is a decent bout. But the WBO making it for a world title is a ****in disgrace.

Comment

You know, I was a massie vfan of Cottos till the Trout loss and since then the guy has lost everytime he has stepped up (although I thought he beat canelo) BUT what sworse is that his behaviour has become floyd like. fight ggg? no im not middleweight lol gtfoh

Comment

Originally posted by ddeg10 View Post
                  Because each time he stepped up he got his a** kicked. Canelo, Mayweather and Pacquiao all killed him. Even Austin Trout beat him, and at this point, who the hell is Austin Trout?
                  He was only stopped twice--once by a plaster-fisted Margarito, and a prime Pac. No shame in that. He went the distance with a younger, much bigger, and stronger Canelo, and gave Floyd one of his toughest fights. You think any old slouch can pull that off?

He should be commended for stepping up and fighting the most dangerous opponents in their prime, he could have gone the cherry-picking route of Floyd but chose a more honorable path. For that he is disrespected?

Comment

I would of loved to see Cotto vs Hatton or Cotto vs kosta tszyu. I think they were the only ones he did not fight. Vivian Harris i think was calling him out but no $ there.

Comment

Originally posted by RockyB View Post
                      Just saw on BoxRec that his fight with Kamegai is for the vacant WBO title... what? He last fought in 2015 - and is fighting Kamegai whos best career performance is a draw and a win against a shot to **** Jesus Soto Karass.

First of, let me just say I have been one of his biggest fans up until after the Mayweather fight. He has now lost me because of his diva behavior (leaving interviews in fights he clearly lost like the Trout, Mayweather and Alvarez fights..)

Every title he ever won has been vacant, except the Martinez fight and we all know that story.

His best title wins are a crippled Martinez back in 2014, 3 years ago, Shane Mosley - 10 years ago which is probably his best win to date.

I mean, does anyone even rate this guy anymore? It's hard to be a boxing fan, so many other fighters deserve to get a shot at the title but Cotto is handed shot after shot just because of his name.
                      He won his title at 154 from Yuri Foreman

Comment

Working...
                      X