Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rusty Tromboni View Post
    Who of note did Langford KO?

What Black fighters did Gene avoid?

Tunney beat Loughran, Gibbons, Greb and Dempsey. Even if none of them were in their prime when he beat them, they're all still better than Langford and anyone he fought.
    Fighters Tunney never fought.

Flowers
    Norfolk
    Wills
    Godfrey

That is off the top of my head. Now, I'm ho did Langford avoid?

Comment

1) What Black fighters didn't he fight?

2) Why does it matter?

3) Jack Johnson was a terrible fighter, so why is his name even surfacing in this conversation?
      Why do the IBRO rate him far above Tunney all time that ?

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
        That's a tough one.

Langford fought from lightweight to heavyweight and has wins over the likes of Joe Gans, Jack Blackburn, Stanley Ketchel, and Tiger Flowers. But he was never a world champion (in large part due to being avoided.)

Tunney fought at light heavyweight and heavyweight and beat the likes of Georges Carpentier, Tommy Gibbons, Harry Greb and Jack Dempsey.

Maybe Langford edges it in a P4P sense because he was successful in more weight divisions?
        Langford didn't beat the smaller and fading Ketchel.

And that's really a trend in Langford's career. He was a lot like Floyd: he cherry-picked a lot of fights.

Gans, Walcott, Ketchel, O'Brien, Wills... many of his most notable wins come with a clear caveat.

Not saying he wasn't remarkable, but comparisons of his record can be made to Camacho and Mayweather.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
          Fighters Tunney never fought.

Flowers
          Norfolk
          Wills
          Godfrey

That is off the top of my head. Now, I'm ho did Langford avoid?
          Yup. No one notable.

Now, failing to give Loughran a rematch, and not fighting Stribling and Sharkey might be points of contention. But nothing that changes the fact that he beat better fighters than Langford ever faced.

Comment

Why do the IBRO rate him far above Tunney all time that ?
            Why does Boxing attract such re.tarded fans?

Comment

Langford didn't beat the smaller and fading Ketchel.

And that's really a trend in Langford's career. He was a lot like Floyd: he cherry-picked a lot of fights.

Gans, Walcott, Ketchel, O'Brien, Wills... many of his most notable wins come with a clear caveat.

Not saying he wasn't remarkable, but comparisons of his record can be made to Camacho and Mayweather.
              Lol, he clearly beat Ketchel by all accounts. And how do you cherry pick when you fight almost every notable fighter of his era, or was avoided by the rest?

Comment

Yup. No one notable.

Now, failing to give Loughran a rematch, and not fighting Stribling and Sharkey might be points of contention. But nothing that changes the fact that he beat better fighters than Langford ever faced.
                You obviously don't know your boxing history if you believe this.

Comment

Why does Boxing attract such re.tarded fans?
                  How many lists can you find with Tunney ranked above Johnson? I'll wait. Because I can find list after list if need be to prove my point.

Comment

From the Ring

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hCVp5oDebgAd5z2L6

Comment

Lol, he clearly beat Ketchel by all accounts. And how do you cherry pick when you fight almost every notable fighter of his era, or was avoided by the rest?
                      Oh yeah... let's see them.

It was a 6 round fight, and we don't have footage of it.

We don't have their weights, do we?

If that's the best "win" you have to peg on Sam's legacy, you've already lost.

You obviously don't know your boxing history if you believe this.
                      Says the guy who makes things up.

Show me where Tunney dodged these men.

Convince me they were a threat to Tunney.

Prove to me any one of them was as good as Loughran, Stribling or Sharkey.

How many lists can you find with Tunney ranked above Johnson? I'll wait. Because I can find list after list if need be to prove my point.
                      Tunney fought 2 opponents and 3 fights at Heavyweight. He's more associated with his tenure at LHw. And he was a small Heavyweight even by the standards of the day. Understandably, his ranking will suffer to men with greater legacy in the division.

But you'd have to be an idiot to watch Johnson and suggest he's on Tunney's level.

You don't even have to know Boxing. You can see the disparity in skill and talent.

The best part: Grandpa Kimbo was defending his Heavyweight belt against men SMALLER than Gene's opposition at Light Heavyweight!!!

Queenie did some research. There was an upcoming legend-in-the-making, Luck McCarty, who died tragically young from injuries endured bucking a mustang, no less. Johnson basically held onto the title too long as a consequence.

Yup. Re.tards.

What criteria did they follow? How thoroughly did they apply it.

All you need to do is watch Marciano qnd Johnson and know they do NOT belong that high on the list.

It's like nothing is real anymore. There's no sanity. The world's falling apart. Transgender, anti-vax, flat-earth, the Russians did it... it's too weird.

Comment

Working...
                      X