Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why wasn't Andy Lee elite in the past MW era but is now?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why wasn't Andy Lee elite in the past MW era but is now?

In the past era he was even behind the likes of Edison Miranda and Allan Green. Pavlik, Taylor, Wright, Hopkins, Miranda, Green, etc. he was far behind all these men.

He did improve over the years but as late as 2012 he was still getting stopped by Chavez Jr.

Suddenly in this era he's knocking out Korobov, drawing with Quillin, almost drawing with BJS.

I look forward to your explanations, especially those that love to hype up this era. It goes hand it hand with my theory, 160 is one of the weakest divisions in boxing.

There's no argument that 160 is a weak division, but point to me where there are legions of fans claiming Lee is an elite? Your straw man argument is quite transparent.

Comment

He still looks mediocre, IMO. I like the guy but have no idea why he gets treated like he's a great talent.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
        but point to me where there are legions of fans claiming Lee is an elite? Your straw man argument is quite transparent.
        Wrong. There were a lot of people here saying that they hope GG fights Lee. Claiming it would be a "great fight".
        Lee would be Golovkin food.

Comment

Who said he was elite?

Not even the late great Emmanuel Steward would say Lee is elite!

A good solid fighter with KO power in that left hand and he's tough, but not on the level of Golovkin, Canelo, Jacobs and maybe even Lemule!

If there was 15 rounds he would've held onto title against Saunders that's for sure!

That guy got in the best shape of his career and still gasses even against opponents who don't offer much!

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
            There's no argument that 160 is a weak division, but point to me where there are legions of fans claiming Lee is an elite? Your straw man argument is quite transparent.

BJS is arguably #2 in the entire division and he barely got past Lee. Quillin was a champion, considered elite, a future ggg opponent, got dropped and drew. Korobov was considered an elite prospect, showcased by HBO for a future fight with ggg, lost.

Lee is an elite middleweight in this era based on him vs elite competition. If he wasn't elite, Quillin, Korobov, BJS would've blown him out like the guys in the past era would've but didn't.

Comment

I've been watching Andy Lee since his fight with Craig McEwan and this is literally the first time I've heard Andy Lee being described as elite.

Comment

Originally posted by Squ□redCircle34 View Post
                Who said he was elite?

Not even the late great Emmanuel Steward would say Lee is elite!

A good solid fighter with KO power in that left hand and he's tough, but not on the level of Golovkin, Canelo, Jacobs and maybe even Lemule!

If there was 15 rounds he would've held onto title against Saunders that's for sure!

That guy got in the best shape of his career and still gasses even against opponents who don't offer much!
                Elite relative to the division in this era. He was on par with Quillin who was considered elite, he really softened him up for Jacobs. BJS has a better resume than Jacobs, I think DJ-Lee would be a toss up, Jacobs has been down from Mora's left after all and he's very easy to hit.

Lemieux got rocked badly by Rios (19% KO ratio), and looked very underwhelming against Reyes. Even Lee doesn't struggle with that level of competition. I got Lee by KO.

Canelo, Charlo, etc. these guys are new additions still growing into the division.

Comment

Originally posted by anonymous2.0 View Post
                  I've been watching Andy Lee since his fight with Craig McEwan and this is literally the first time I've heard Andy Lee being described as elite.
                  So Lee isn't a top 10 MW? BJS isn't considered an elite MW? Quillin wasn't considered elite?

Comment

which posters have been saying andy lee is elite? can you name any? or (more likely), have you just pulled this thread from out of your arsehole?

Comment

Working...
                    X