Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to beat a longer armed guy, who is also fast and powerful?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to beat a longer armed guy, who is also fast and powerful?

As a southpaw vs orthodox.

I find that body type and group of assets to be the most difficult to spar with.

Its like im usually the one with the range advantage and now I dont have it my experience level goes way down because im not so used to having to come forward.

grow longer arms and grow faster and grow powerful.
    kidding.

sounds like a pacquiao v margarito. study that maybe?

im quite new to boxing, but here are some ideas:
    -time him
    -walk into his comfort zone, bait out a shot, anticipate it and counter off that.
    -get into your range with something qiuck and powerful, then keep that distance and force him to fihgt ur fight.
    -lead cross while stepping outside

Comment

Originally posted by nivek535 View Post
      grow longer arms and grow faster and grow powerful.
      kidding.

sounds like a pacquiao v margarito. study that maybe?

im quite new to boxing, but here are some ideas:
      -time him
      -walk into his comfort zone, bait out a shot, anticipate it and counter off that.
      -get into your range with something qiuck and powerful, then keep that distance and force him to fihgt ur fight.
      -lead cross while stepping outside
      Wow you are very good for new person or an experienced person! Thankyou!

Comment

Originally posted by AlexKid View Post
        Wow you are very good for new person or an experienced person! Thankyou!
        you're welcome! thank you too

Comment

I agree with nive.. I have sparred a few guys taller than me with longer reaches and I found that a good way to approach it is to move around whilst getting in and out, once the taller guy finds his jab and begins to time you from their range you will be fighting a fight geared more around them and what they want, because chances are they don't want you on the inside with you being shorter..Countering the jab and getting in and out of range is what I learned helps..Think Pac vs Margarito/DLH..
          Just from my experience anyway, good luck

Comment

Jab to the chest,Cut the ring off,keep turning him if you can and if he is taller then you time him with overhand shots. Also if you aren't afraid of getting hit try punching with him or right as hes about it.

Comment

Bob and weave to get in the pocket, throw your punches from an angle, keep turning him to keep him from throwing power shots, counter him whenever he over commits with a jab and gets off balance.

Comment

Angles are the key, don't fight head on.

Comment

During training focus ALOT on head movement and countering so you can get on the inside,also use feints and try to cut the ring off him as well.

Comment

Use footwork, angels, level changes diagonal punches..... like literately go in the ring for the whole practice and work on pivoting, angels,.... In and out side to side always throwing different looks putting the other guy in quicksand. Sometime you're moving you're head and sometimes you're not... Sometimes you lead with a 2 sometimes you lead with a double jab... Never giving the same look...

Invest in a speed ladder YouTube the exercises.. You're a southpaw you already have the advantage in my opinion..

Heres some combo to work on get these to muscle memory drill the **** out of these in shadow boxing, on the bag, and in sparing... Always train with a purpose be a smart fighter.... Think but don't OVER THINK... It's a fight don't worrie about the size do what you're good at...

Manny-Rios
                    That double left hand was awesome and that nice little lead right hook to the body.

Try going to the body and then the head and back to the body
                    example jab upstairs, cross to the stomach, and then come with a right hook upstairs look were you punches try to get behinds the jaw bone or behind the ear.... Hit you're spots....

Right uppper cut, left hook to body, right hook to the body,... Your in then your out... Your scoring in the pocket and you use that footwork and then you can go back to you're counter boxing when he comes at you... He's the bull and you're the matador... i'm done ranting. Watch rigondeaux he's boring as **** but that knows how to box in all positions....Dude knows how to work in the clinch.....Jab then clinch the back of the guys head with your right and push it down right in you re left uppercut...

Jab, right uppercut to body, and come up right right uppercut to chin.

write you're own 2-3-5 combos down and work them... I don't know youre style or size...
                    Thats why i am not going any combos cause i dont want to back seat coach you and **** up your game.....

Last thing if you're a left hand dominate fighter....Meaning you always go to the well with straight lefts... You will need to become a 2 handed fighter so for a practice only using you're right hand... Also if you eat with youre left hand a few days a week eat with youre right... sounds stupid but it works.... Double jab to the body then head, right upper cuts, right hooks.... If you learn anything from this use you're right hand.....

Watch fighters and watch there feet sounds stupid works... Master the footwork... I have a few theory its late and i'll fu*k it up but yea...

WORK ON YOU'RE FOOTWORK AND RIGHT HAND BODY HEAD VICE VERSA....I didn't spell check this or proof ready it so i hope this make sense. Basically fu#k this other guy who cares what he dose.

Also a solid 1, 2 will win you fights..... TIGHT GUARD elbows in movement STRAIGHT PUNCHES...
                    Last edited by Mike_Erm; 12-22-2013, 10:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X