Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it true that Joe Calzaghe didn't train with weights?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it true that Joe Calzaghe didn't train with weights?

Or is that just a boxing myth?

A lot of boxers don't do strength training. When they use weights it's for endurance 15+ reps.

Comment

the only weights he had was his scales to measure how much coke he was buying

Comment

Originally posted by Robbie Barrett View Post
        A lot of boxers don't do strength training. When they use weights it's for endurance 15+ reps.
        I know. Old school boxing trainers especially weren't fans of lifting weights because they felt it would make a fighter muscle bound.

Comment

Just a guess but as it's Calzaghe we're talking about I'm guessing he did 2000 reps of 0.1KG weights.

Comment

It's probably true. weight training isn't a must do for boxing success. Many all time great boxers did no weigh lifting. All the punches a boxer throws on the heavy bag, the speed bag, shadow boxing and sparring gives them the muscle development they need to punch hard. As far as I know Ray Robinson and Joe Louis never lifted weights and few hit harder or faster than they did. Weight training may help a boxer but not all trainers agree that it helps. Some trainers think too much weight training slows a boxer's punches down and takes some snap out of their punches. I don't know if that's true or not. I use to watch boxers train at the main street gym in LA and if they did any weight training they did it somewhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
              It's probably true. weight training isn't a must do for boxing success. Many all time great boxers did no weigh lifting. All the punches a boxer throws on the heavy bag, the speed bag, shadow boxing and sparring gives them the muscle development they need to punch hard. As far as I know Ray Robinson and Joe Louis never lifted weights and few hit harder or faster than they did. Weight training may help a boxer but not all trainers agree that it helps. Some trainers think too much weight training slows a boxer's punches down and takes some snap out of their punches. I don't know if that's true or not. I use to watch boxers train at the main street gym in LA and if they did any weight training they did it somewhere else.
              I think boxers need to get into weight training. Some have natural power, but lifting weights will increase the force in your arms, in whatever your using your arms for. Whether its lifting furniture, throwing punches, or just opening a door. I remember playing basketball as a youth, and weight lifting made the ball lighter.

I throw the ball, and it would fly,(not saying thats a good thing Lol) so I had to adjust. More fighters should get into it.

Comment

Bullsht , Weight lifting is necessary..

Comment

Originally posted by mlac View Post
                  the only weights he had was his scales to measure how much coke he was buying
                  Big facts. Slap boxing gawd

Comment

When Joe was a boy, Enzo duct taped fly swatters to his hands and locked him in a room full of bees. This training developed his legendary fighting technique.

Comment

Working...
                    X