No announcement yet.

Help me get servings of veggies

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me get servings of veggies

I consider myself to have a really good diet for a boxer. It's very well rounded, with no junk food and very little processed foods at all if ever. The one weak point I have is getting enough of vegetables. How do y'all eat your veggies? It's not that I hate them, but I don't particularly like them or enjoy preparing them. I wish there was some kind of all in one vegetable juice I could force down or mix with something once or twice a day. I eat eggs often, I was thinking one way to get some would be cutting up some vegetables and throwing them in as I cook them. Any recommendations?

I dont really get enough veggies in my diet (which is otherwise pretty good).

One thing you might like though are frozen veggie steam bags by birds eye, you stick these bags in the microwave for 2 minutes and the veggies get steamed, and then just add em to your food. Easy and convinient but kinda expensive, plus wont be healthy as freshly prepared veg but still a good way to get them in.

If I dont have any of those steam bags in the house I'll usually just cook a ****load of peas and add it to my meals.

Comment

Originally posted by FM3O View Post
      I wish there was some kind of all in one vegetable juice I could force down or mix with something once or twice a day.
      http://www.v8juice.com/ ?

Comment

Originally posted by Chip2006uk View Post
        I dont really get enough veggies in my diet (which is otherwise pretty good).

One thing you might like though are frozen veggie steam bags by birds eye, you stick these bags in the microwave for 2 minutes and the veggies get steamed, and then just add em to your food. Easy and convinient but kinda expensive, plus wont be healthy as freshly prepared veg but still a good way to get them in.

If I dont have any of those steam bags in the house I'll usually just cook a ****load of peas and add it to my meals.
        I'll have to check around for those or something similar, that sounds perfect for me. Are peas pretty good for you?

Comment

O

I've always wondered if those v8 commercials had any truth to them claiming to have x amount of servings of vegetables. Generally I am pessimistic about drinks like that cause usually they have tons of additives, but I should have a look at it, especially considering there's no preparation. Last time I had v8 was years ago and I remember it tasting not too good, which usually means it's probably pretty good for me. Time for a costco trip.

Comment

yea i usually leave my house with one or two double serving cans(the bigger one out of the two)....the green one which has less sodium but tasts even worse.

i also buy those bags of baby cut peeled carrots and cook em in a pot for about 10minutes so they get kinda soft and easy to chow down with chicken and rice, for example...

Comment

Originally posted by FM3O View Post
              I consider myself to have a really good diet for a boxer. It's very well rounded, with no junk food and very little processed foods at all if ever. The one weak point I have is getting enough of vegetables. How do y'all eat your veggies? It's not that I hate them, but I don't particularly like them or enjoy preparing them. I wish there was some kind of all in one vegetable juice I could force down or mix with something once or twice a day. I eat eggs often, I was thinking one way to get some would be cutting up some vegetables and throwing them in as I cook them. Any recommendations?
              Why not just make the juices yourself? Do you have a blender?

Comment

If you don't like vegetables on their own, mix them up with other foods you do like. If you're having pasta with sauce, put some broccoli in there with it. You'll still be able to taste it but it won't be as bad.

Get some baby spinach and cut it up and put it in eggs (scrambled or omlette). You won't get a full serving since that's like 2/3 of a cup I think (which is a lot) but some is better than none.

Comment

I love veggies, I have them with every evening meal. I don't really know how to do many dishes without them. Even something like a bolognase has onions and tomatoes in.

Otherwise I just have boiled or roasted veg, simple enough.

Comment

Originally posted by mt102879 View Post
                    Why not just make the juices yourself? Do you have a blender?
                    Yeah thats a good idea. I do have a blender that I use to make protein shakes everyday. I really like the blender cause it's such an easy way to prepare foods, such as vegetables. Any idea what else I should mix other than vegetables such as some kind of liquid? Water maybe?

Comment

Working...
                    X