No announcement yet.

Oliver McCall ... Best Chin Ever?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Elroy1 View Post
    I never intended it as an exhaustive list...

Sure let's keep going...

Mercer and Mavrovic certainly make the list bro, no argument!

I was excited by the Tua entry, I thought of him as unKOabole around the millenium.

Another entry here would have to be LAmon Brewster.

I mean, he was unKOed until his very last fight with one of the hardest punchers in Helenius in round 8.

The Klitschko stoppage was because his trainer pulled the pin for LAmon's health.

That guy wore a comparable amount of damage to Wach in those fights with Klitschko.
    Brewster? Nah, sorry. Lamon was stunned and knocked down too often to be considered here, though he did have great powers of recovery and was exceedingly hard to put away. When you're getting rocked by the likes of Clifford Etienne and Sergei Lyakhovich you can't really be considered.

Comment

Originally posted by Fury4daWIN View Post
      Mercer didn't take a body shot, he took a left hook to the jaw. I guess you're going by what the commentators said in the Wlad Mercer fight. They're wrong. Watch the fight and see. Mercer might be said to have taken on a slightly higher class of puncher, and to have absorbed more damage in several fights (I was astounded at the level of punishment he took against Morrison and Wlad) but McCall showed inhuman levels of resilience and still does today at fifty years of age. That's what tips the balance for me.

At the end of the day both guys had beards of stone.

Comment

Originally posted by Fury4daWIN View Post
        Mercer didn't take a body shot, he took a left hook to the jaw. I guess you're going by what the commentators said in the Wlad Mercer fight. They're wrong. Watch the fight and see. Mercer might be said to have taken on a slightly higher class of puncher, and to have absorbed more damage in several fights (I was astounded at the level of punishment he took against Morrison and Wlad) but McCall showed inhuman levels of resilience and still does today at fifty years of age. That's what tips the balance for me.
        Mercer went down on his own account to avoid a combination by holyfield,he clearly took the knee to avoid a second hook. Foreman ate the same left hooks but many more of them..foreman of the 90's is easily the number one or two guy on this topic.

Comment

I say petition to put this guy's face next to the definition of chin in the dictionary. And possibly granite.

Comment

Originally posted by TysonBomb View Post
            Has never been been knocked down in as a professional, amateur or even in sparring. I've never even noticed him hurt or even staggered or stunned. Even steel chinned Chuvalo was unofficially "knocked down" by Bonavena and Hagler, who is said to have an anatomically thicker skull, was floored once by Juan Roldan and stunned by Hearns. Jake LaMotta who is also credited with a iron chin was knocked down later in his career.

But McCall still holding up as of last year, at over the age of 45.

300+ rounds of sparring with prime Tyson, facing monster punchers such as Lennox Lewis, Bert Cooper, Frank Bruno, Buster Douglas etc. Even Shaq couldn't hurt this guy when they were sparring and Shaq was launching hayemakers into him. He didn't even flinch when he was having his emotional episode and was sobbing when Lewis was right there, bashing his face in. Lewis was firing and McCall didn't even care and didn't even seem to brace for impact. Dude wasn't even ever caught off balance and buckled or dropped or pushed down or anything.

Truly un-knockout-able.

The Atomic Bull ... GOAT chin

McCall vs Lennox 2:
            1. Lennox was as confused as anyone else inside the stadium, and was reluctant to throw power punches. McCall was not hit by a haymaker even once.
            2. McCall was covering up well and moving his head, and not standing there as a punching bag; that he didn't punch back is a different thing.
            IMO, McCall has the BEST chin in heavyweight history but to say something like "Lennox was throwing hayemakers while McCall was standing there enjoying himself" is an exaggeration.

Comment

Originally posted by Beni View Post
              McCall vs Lennox 2:
              1. Lennox was as confused as anyone else inside the stadium, and was reluctant to throw power punches. McCall was not hit by a haymaker even once.
              2. McCall was covering up well and moving his head, and not standing there as a punching bag; that he didn't punch back is a different thing.
              IMO, McCall has the BEST chin in heavyweight history but to say something like "Lennox was throwing hayemakers while McCall was standing there enjoying himself" is an exaggeration.
              McCall has a very solid chin, one of the best at heavyweight.

I would rate David Tua right up there with him. I never even recall Tua getting hurt once. He got dropped once by Rahman at the bell, but it wasn't called a knockdown I believe and it appeared that Tua was offguard and lost his footing when hit.

Lewis hit Tua with some solid shots and never once could hurt him.

Comment

Originally posted by TysonBomb View Post
                Has never been been knocked down in as a professional, amateur or even in sparring. I've never even noticed him hurt or even staggered or stunned. Even steel chinned Chuvalo was unofficially "knocked down" by Bonavena and Hagler, who is said to have an anatomically thicker skull, was floored once by Juan Roldan and stunned by Hearns. Jake LaMotta who is also credited with a iron chin was knocked down later in his career.

But McCall still holding up as of last year, at over the age of 45.

300+ rounds of sparring with prime Tyson, facing monster punchers such as Lennox Lewis, Bert Cooper, Frank Bruno, Buster Douglas etc. Even Shaq couldn't hurt this guy when they were sparring and Shaq was launching hayemakers into him. He didn't even flinch when he was having his emotional episode and was sobbing when Lewis was right there, bashing his face in. Lewis was firing and McCall didn't even care and didn't even seem to brace for impact. Dude wasn't even ever caught off balance and buckled or dropped or pushed down or anything.

Truly un-knockout-able.

The Atomic Bull ... GOAT chin

"Best chin ever"

That's a ****ing stretch.....

Who he fight???
                EXACTLY..........

Comment

Originally posted by AztecWanker View Post
                  I met McCall at the Fonfara-Johnson FNF. Asked him for an autograph, he brushed me off, put on a pair of headphones and started jamming out to rock music. He's an odd fellow.
                  You should have grabbed the ape by his fur collar and give him one more chance.

Comment

We just got rid of those two Russian scrubs, and now people want others to go watch them already. Not quite. No, thanks. Vampire Johnson took it about as well as anyone.

Comment

Working...
                    X