No announcement yet.

throwing the jab

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• throwing the jab

i was just wondering, do you guys throw the jab mostly as an arm punch, or do you put anything else on it?

ive heard a quarter turn of the shoulder while throwing adds power, as does pushing off the back leg. but i also feel like the shoulder turn would telegraph it a bit.

what do you guys think?

i use it many ways. for example - kostya tszyu's's measuring stick jab, ali's get off me jab, and wladimir klitschko or jack dempsey's battering ram jab.

Comment

I like throwing stiff jabs. I have to turn the shoulder more to achieve it but the results are usually equal to a hard straight punch. Merely measuring or tapping the face of my opponents with my jab is not enough for me. For me the jab has to be thrown with bad intentions. So yeah, I would say that turning the shoulder generates more power.

Comment

i personally mix it up, i notice that a turn of the shoulder and pushing off the back leg makes my jab pretty destructive, but sometimes i throw it as a speedy arm punch if im looking to blind them.

Comment

i take a faling step and make alot of power. the beauty is noone expects a powerful jab!

Comment

i cant really explane how i through my left jab but i think there must be some power in it cos i ko'd a 30 year old man tht i was sparring with on tuesday night lol

Comment

The way I use my jab and the way I was taught to is that it is just used to blind your opponent. My trainer gets me starting off almost all of my combinations with a jab, just to kind of blind him to set myself up for my power punches. I dont even throw my jab that hard when I am about to throw a combination because if you go and put all your power into every punch you throw you are going to get winded and need a huge oxygen tank out there with you unless you are in the greatest condition in your life.

Comment

You wont tire if you train to fight that way in the gym. That was my game, I was always brining it, sparring, bags, mitts, whatever. If you train throwing hard then it will follow you into the ring when you fight.

Rockin'

Comment

Thats true,I agree with that, its just not the way my trainer has brought me up.

Comment

Originally posted by Glove_Game_Hero
                    Thats true,I agree with that, its just not the way my trainer has brought me up.
                    If you train by throwing hard/quick jabs, the jab will set up other punches but will also add to the accumilation of pain. I know you weren't trained that way but if you try throwing jabs that rock your opponent, you develope the stamina and won't punch yourself out. Try it durring sparring. You'd be suprised at how many people get KOed from a jab.

Comment

Working...
                    X