No announcement yet.

working the heavy bag

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• working the heavy bag

Hello, all. Been awhile since i've trained and can't really go back the gym until summer. I was hoping I could work on a few things while im waiting to go back though. I haven't even so much as slapped the bag in six months and it felt awkward hitting it, so this help is really appreciated. Also, sorry its so short but I didn't feel like doing much, and i'm out of shape. heh. I'll make a longer one later! So tips, correction, etc. please.

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=2it1kes&s=3

EDIT: New vid 3/25/08

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrBYs0w1LU4
    Last edited by Samuel F.; 03-25-2008, 01:04 PM.

The most problematic thing I saw is when you throw the left straight you raise your chin up. When you throw hooks you turn your face and do not protect yourself.

Any reason you never go to the body?

Good job, good breathing.

Comment

Originally posted by Count Patron View Post
      The most problematic thing I saw is when you throw the left straight you raise your chin up. When you throw hooks you turn your face and do not protect yourself.
      Thanks, thats what im looking for and i'll work on it. Am I telegraphing my hooks at all?

Any reason you never go to the body?
      I just didn't think about I guess. Also, the bag is kind of hard in the middle and the gloves are thin.

Comment

Originally posted by Samuel F. View Post
        Thanks, thats what im looking for and i'll work on it. Am I telegraphing my hooks at all?

I just didn't think about I guess. Also, the bag is kind of hard in the middle and the gloves are thin.
        Not that I could see from the side. You look like you have pretty good speed so I wouldn't worry about it too much, just try to protect yourself better, more control on the hooks so your head doesn't turn as much... because a turned head leaves your ear, jaw, temple open for a nasty counter.

Pretty much all bags are going to have a hard midsection, all the padding gets knocked down from where everyone punches it above. I normally use 12oz gloves when I am hitting the heavy bag and I am OK.

(You look like the contender from Mike Tyson's punch out)

Comment

Originally posted by Count Patron View Post
          Not that I could see from the side. You look like you have pretty good speed so I wouldn't worry about it too much, just try to protect yourself better, more control on the hooks so your head doesn't turn as much... because a turned head leaves your ear, jaw, temple open for a nasty counter.
          Gotcha and will do.

Pretty much all bags are going to have a hard midsection, all the padding gets knocked down from where everyone punches it above. I normally use 12oz gloves when I am hitting the heavy bag and I am OK.
          My gloves are 4 oz, so getting new ones soon.

(You look like the contender from Mike Tyson's punch out)
          Sweet.

Comment

Hello, all. Been awhile since i've trained and can't really go back the gym until summer. I was hoping I could work on a few things while im waiting to go back though. I haven't even so much as slapped the bag in six months and it felt awkward hitting it, so this help is really appreciated. Also, sorry its so short but I didn't feel like doing much, and i'm out of shape. heh. I'll make a longer one later! So tips, correction, etc. please.

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=2it1kes&s=3
            call that a heavy bag it swings with one punch:O

Comment

Originally posted by jessesmit View Post
              call that a heavy bag it swings with one punch:O
              I didn't want to offend him but now you said it...

But i like your style, well done
              Last edited by DutchDynamite; 02-24-2008, 09:42 PM. Reason: forgot to compliment the bro

Comment

I thought you were hitting a pillow for a moment. decent jabs... work on your foot rhyem i'd say.

Comment

Thanks for the compliments. As for the comments on the bag, I hadn't hit it in so long that I actually grew a good bit and i'm hitting the bag at the very top. I raised it up earlier and in the next video you'll notice a lot less swaying.

Originally posted by Basim View Post
                  I thought you were hitting a pillow for a moment. decent jabs... work on your foot rhyem i'd say.
                  What do you mean by foot rhythm?

Comment

Thanks for the compliments. As for the comments on the bag, I hadn't hit it in so long that I actually grew a good bit and i'm hitting the bag at the very top. I raised it up earlier and in the next video you'll notice a lot less swaying.

What do you mean by foot rhythm?
                    Don't listen to the noobies, a swaying heavy bag isn't necessarily a bad thing. You can work on your movement on a swaying bag and it causes you to reset before throwing your punches... any fool can hit something that doesn't move.

Comment

Working...
                    X