Knuckle pain lead hook

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sportsingle View Post
    Thanks a lot!

I just bought a pair of the wraps you recommended and will see tomorrow at practice if your advice works out.

Secondly, does it have something to do with the way I throw my hooks? Palm down or perpendicular to the floor?

And last but not least, is it possible that it has something to do with my gloves? I get the feeling they play a significant part in this as well... With the holidays coming up I might consider changing gloves.

I will keep you updated!
    No. Palm facing your chest is for power and palm facing down is for ranged combo's and sometimes a position set-up for the right hand. It's probably not your form. Just make sure your pointer finger and middle finger knuckles are hitting the bag. If you're hitting middle to ring or ring to pinky that's considered bad form. You lose power and are possibly damaging your hand.

Bad gloves is a very big possibility. I would never uses Adidas gloves. The only thing Adidas I ever used in Boxing was the Adistar Boxing shoes which was awesome. I used to have a 16 oz pair Ringside for sparring and would often use them on the bags to break them in. I later got into Grant's 12 oz bag gloves for sharper angles.

I've used Reyes 16 oz bag gloves with the weight in the wrist which are awesome. But if I were you, I would get a pair of Winning brand 16 oz sparring gloves and use them on the bag. Winning provides the best protection. It comes at a price, but having good hands intact is well worth it.

Check out the MS-600's
    http://www.winning-usa.com/products.html

Also, try a session without the pads. What we're doing you and I is deducing the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
      Does it occur on the heavy bag, pads, sparring?
      What technique are you using in regards to the fist making contact? Is your "palm down" on contact, pronating? Or is your pinkie finger pointing to the floor?
      There are many different ways to use wraps and employ padding for injuries. I can't help you with that other than to tell you to search for a veteran trainer who has that experience.
      Whats a "boxing shop"?

Ray
      When teaching left hooks did you have a preference for palm down or pinkie to the floor?

Or does each technique have a specific time when it is best to use?

Comment

Sorry for the very late reply, I wasn't able to go training for two weeks. Last night I went to the gym with the gel pads "loosely" wrapped and I had no issues when throwing hooks or jabs at all! Thanks for the tips to all of you!

Comment

Originally posted by Sportsingle View Post
          7. Palm facing chest causes pain, only in lead hook.
          Turn the **** over. Obviously your hand hurts because you're throwing it with your 3rd and 4th leading the charge. Land and lead with your 1st and 2nd knuckles. Turn the **** over....
          Last edited by Rockin'; 12-15-2017, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X