No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Boxing Without Boxing: The Great White Hype

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bronx2245 View Post
    It did not happen with "all the other divisions." 126-168 is well represented with U.S. talent! The biggest drop-off is seen at the HW division, and that's because our athletic big men play other sports, especially our NBA players! If you were here to see how big AAU Basketball is in the areas that used to produce our fighters, you would understand! Don't even get me started with the culture of "grid-Iron" Football in the Southeast U.S.!

If LeBron James or Zion Williamson was born in 1950, they would've been the HW Champion of the World! The Youth Boxing programs in the U.S. are way below par from the 1970s! The AAU Basketball programs are HUGE! They so influential that the U.S. Gov't has to intervene because they are corrupting the NCAA Basketball programs! Money talks! NBA and NFL are they only reasons Boxing declined in the U.S., but they play a MAJOR role:

The Decline of the Sweet Science

For multiple reasons, boxing has fallen on hard times, and barely exists anymore. But as recently as the early 1950s, boxing was likely still America’s second favorite sport after baseball. Now it’s a niche sport, on the way to near extinction. Football (talk about unpeaceful), baseball, basketball, hockey, golf, tennis, and others now claim the attention of contemporary sports-minded folks. With the exception of a few adept practitioners and blockbuster matchups, the current product in the ring richly deserves the obscurity that has overtaken the sport.

The causes of the decline are many, including mob influence and unscrupulous promoters, so focused on their own bottom line that they damaged the sport that made them wealthy. Television first helped re-interest fans in a sport they had soured on a bit after the war. But over-exposure on television led to the proliferation of sanctioning agencies and new weight classes so that there are more champions now than even dedicated fight fans can keep up with. Television can put on any number of “title fights” now. But the titles have about been emptied of meaning. As Silver puts it, “If baseball were run like boxing, there would be at least four separate World Series champions.” The heavyweight champion of the world used to be the most revered title in sports. Now try and find anyone who can name any of the several fighters who hold this title.

More important, free boxing on TV led to the end of neighborhood fight clubs and gyms – boxing’s littoral, where not only fighters learned their trade, but trainers and corner-men, and managers found employment. Why go to a fight club in a crummy section of town when you can watch boxing free on television? The results have been fewer boxers, fewer fights, less well-trained fighters, and nearly skill-free boxing matches, many of which resemble a bar brawl more than the high-level athletic competitions of boxing’s past. While a good case can be made that skill levels in the other spectator sports that engage us have increased, skills in the boxing game have eroded badly. For those who came up with and loved the sport (count me in), it’s a sad state of affairs.

https://spectator.org/the-decline-of-the-sweet-science/
    At one time, you could guarantee that US fighters would always hold more world title belts than anybody else. 2 years ago, the UK had more world title holders than the US. That would have been literally unbelievable 20 years ago!

At one time, Ring P4P lists were dominated by US fighters. Right now, there are only 2 US fighters in the Ring rankings, and 4 East Europeans.

Higher earnings in NBA and NFL don't explain changes like that.

Comment

Originally posted by kafkod View Post
      Lord, you're stupid. Nobody outside America gives a flying fuck about the NBA or what race dominates it.

This is obviously a big deal to you. It means nothing at all to me.
      'Our fans are everywhere': NBA still growing internationally

The numbers touted by the NBA are impressive: 300 million people playing the game for fun in China alone, rapid growth in India over the past decade as that country is on pace to become the world's most populous by 2025, an estimated 1 billion people around the globe — that's basically 1 out of every 7 people alive — having some access to the NBA Finals.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usa...m/amp/38131601

The nba is much more popular globally than boxing you nitwit. I had another one of you wet dog smelling inbred cavemen denying that American blacks are the only ethnic group to fight in every American war lol. What is it with you people and your shamelessness? Y’all will literally lie about any and everything quicker than a cat can lick its a$$........even with proof that you’re lying easily available. It’s really a sign of how inherently evil people like you are.
      Last edited by Goldie; 04-09-2020, 07:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie View Post

The numbers touted by the NBA are impressive: 300 million people playing the game for fun in China alone, rapid growth in India over the past decade as that country is on pace to become the world's most populous by 2025, an estimated 1 billion people around the globe — that's basically 1 out of every 7 people alive — having some access to the NBA Finals.

The nba is much more popular globally than boxing you nitwit. I had another one of you wet dog smelling inbred cavemen denying that American blacks are the only ethnic group to fight in every American war lol. What is it with you people and your shamelessness? Y’all will literally lie about any and everything quicker than a cat can lick its a$$........even with proof that you’re lying easily available. It’s really a sign of how inherently evil people like you are.
        So, the guy accusing me of being a racist is now using derogatory racial stereotypes about white people. You're killing me here mate, keep em coming, this is hilarious!

Comment

If I was a snitch I could get you banned for that stuff. But grassing, even on arseholes like you, is against my principles.

Comment

So, the guy accusing me of being a racist is now using derogatory racial stereotypes about white people. You're killing me here mate, keep em coming, this is hilarious!
            You said that those are stereotypes about white people, not I. I didn’t mention white people. There you go playing the race card. Why is everything about race with you?

If I was a snitch I could get you banned for that stuff. But grassing, even on arseholes like you, is against my principles.
            Another example of how how you’re a passive aggressive pussC lol. You’ve quoted the post twice in the hopes of getting me banned all while trying to hide your hands lol.

The fact is I didn’t mention race and my insults are aimed at you. How do I know that you’re even white? I’ve never seen your picture and have no idea who you are. Stop trying to use race as an excuse for why you’re an idiot making stupid comments. You’ve got too really dumb to not understand that basketball is much more popular and competitive sport than boxing is tight now and if you weren’t so hung up on race you’d be able to understand the basic schit that I’ve explained to you.

Comment

At one time, you could guarantee that US fighters would always hold more world title belts than anybody else. 2 years ago, the UK had more world title holders than the US. That would have been literally unbelievable 20 years ago!

At one time, Ring P4P lists were dominated by US fighters. Right now, there are only 2 US fighters in the Ring rankings, and 4 East Europeans.

Higher earnings in NBA and NFL don't explain changes like that.
              It does at Heavyweight! You'll never understand, because you weren't raised here. When you heard TV ads "Like Mike, I wanna be like Mike," they weren't talking about Mike Tyson! If Floyd Mayweather Jr. died, God forbid, America would not mourn like they did for Kobe! However, they did for Muhammad Ali! Different era!

50% of African-American Male Teenagers don't know who Errol Spence or Terence Crawford is, but 95-100% know who Zion Williamson is! They know who Carmelo is! They buy T-Shirts, Sneakers, Sweatshirts, but they don't buy boxing gloves! Like I said, it's hard to explain it to a foreigner! If we took them 10 year old kids off the Basketball Court, and put them in a boxing gym, we would own 75% of that P4P list in 10 years!

We still represent! Tank, Teofimo, Haney, Kingry, Vergil, and Boots are off to an amazing start!
              Last edited by Bronx2245; 04-09-2020, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Likewise sir. Your posts are refreshing to me as well. We’ve got to hold it down for the truth. Respect.

You're full of it man. You have no understanding of basketball or what it takes to be successful. You don’t understand that there are millions more people vying to get to the nba vs being a pro boxer. The talent pool for basketball is infinitely bigger than the talent pool for boxing. It’s much harder to even reach the nba than to be a champion in boxing.

Y’all know all of this deep down, but y’all are so caught up in race and your other ulterior motives that you end up talking out of both sides of your mouth. When it comes to wilder you have no problems discrediting him as a fighter despite him being a world champion for years. You don’t even respect his reign as a boxing champion. You accuse him of cherry picking fights and feasting on weak competition. Y’all basically categorize wilder as being unskilled as a fighter. Yet, here you are in this thread literally saying that it’s easier to be a top basketball player than to be a boxing champ lol. Just no shame.

Wilder himself was a junior college basketball player who became a heavyweight champ with supposedly “limited skill”. You know good and well that he had no shot of reaching the nba let alone being a top player. Wilder didn’t even take up boxing until he was 20 lol. I think AJ started at like 18. What does that tell you? Do you have common sense? Do you really think a kid could pick up a basketball at 18-20 and go on to become a top nba player? Come on people. Y’all can’t be this racist.
                Wow you are wrong on so many levels.

Lol there is no late starters in tennis, european football, golf etc. everything involving a ball. has zero to do with athletic ability that would dominate in boxing. The average height of nba players in the 70s and 80s was 6ft6, 6ft7. So where were all those tall athletic man in boxing in the 70s and 80s. Cause you claimed back then america dominated cause the tall man that currently play basketball where boxing. apparently not. basketball doesnt transfer to boxing and vice versa. Wilder is very explosive with great reach and crazy kinetic chain. but his motorskills arent great. thats why he was able to be successfull in boxing but not in basketball. Fury, Wilder and Joshua are tall athletic guys that have a skillset that works well in boxing. Doesnt mean that those tall dudes from basketball could do as good as them, cause as i have shown, those man where around in the 70s and 80s, and did not dominate boxing. Its harder to be an NBA player than to become a HW-Champ? Seriously? There are two HW-Champs at the moment in Fury and Joshua. There are 450 NBA players. Thats 225 NBA spots for 1 HW-Champ. Are there 225 times more big man playing Basketball then there are HW boxers? Lol no! Not even close. So its by far harder to become the HW-Champ. There is 6,5 million people in the US that participate in boxing. Compared to 26 million americans playing basketball. So its not even close to a 1-225 ratio. You are wrong. America has lost its dominance in boxing cause boxing has become less popular and has become more popular in other nations. Thus in terms of talentpool it has become a level playing field. Thats why domination ended, lol not because all the american world class boxers started throwing basketballs.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing>MMA View Post
                  Wow you are wrong on so many levels.

Lol there is no late starters in tennis, european football, golf etc. everything involving a ball. has zero to do with athletic ability that would dominate in boxing. The average height of nba players in the 70s and 80s was 6ft6, 6ft7. So where were all those tall athletic man in boxing in the 70s and 80s. Cause you claimed back then america dominated cause the tall man that currently play basketball where boxing. apparently not. basketball doesnt transfer to boxing and vice versa. Wilder is very explosive with great reach and crazy kinetic chain. but his motorskills arent great. thats why he was able to be successfull in boxing but not in basketball. Fury, Wilder and Joshua are tall athletic guys that have a skillset that works well in boxing. Doesnt mean that those tall dudes from basketball could do as good as them, cause as i have shown, those man where around in the 70s and 80s, and did not dominate boxing. Its harder to be an NBA player than to become a HW-Champ? Seriously? There are two HW-Champs at the moment in Fury and Joshua. There are 450 NBA players. Thats 225 NBA spots for 1 HW-Champ. Are there 225 times more big man playing Basketball then there are HW boxers? Lol no! Not even close. So its by far harder to become the HW-Champ. There is 6,5 million people in the US that participate in boxing. Compared to 26 million americans playing basketball. So its not even close to a 1-225 ratio. You are wrong. America has lost its dominance in boxing cause boxing has become less popular and has become more popular in other nations. Thus in terms of talentpool it has become a level playing field. Thats why domination ended, lol not because all the american world class boxers started throwing basketballs.
                  I couldn’t care less what you think though.

Comment

I couldn’t care less what you think though.
                    thats cause you cant cope with facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing>MMA View Post
                      thats cause you cant cope with facts.
                      I didn’t even read that bullschit you wrote. You people don’t know what facts are or what the truth is. Just a bunch of shameless lying insecure trolls with inferiority complexes. You’ll literally say anything.

Comment

Working...
                      X