No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Porter-Ugas: Judges Disagree On 10 of 12 Scored Rounds

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wurider View Post
    I rewatched it. Porter won. He was facing a bigger, stronger, taller guy--was people expecting him to go in and rumble with him all night? He fought smart but I think that it was a style we were not used to seeing Porter fight. He is a champion now he was to be smarter. he landed more punches as well.
    Porter is the one who strugggled to make weight. Ugas is just taller.

Comment

Round 1: Ugas
      Round 2: Porter
      Round 3: Ugas
      Round 4: Ugas
      Round 5: Ugas
      Round 6: Ugas
      Round 7: Ugas
      Round 8: Ugas
      Round 9: Porter
      Round 10: Porter
      Round 11: Ugas
      Round 12: Ugas

117-111 Ugas.

I thought the 10th round could have gone either way. Porter only won 2 clear rounds on my card. It was a little closer than I thought watching live, but definitely a clear and dominant win for Ugas in my book. Terrible scorecards and bad call in the 12th round regarding the knockdown.

Comment

Originally posted by steeve steel View Post
        Had it even coming into the 9th. Then Ugas won 3 out of the last 4, which would give him the victory 115-113.
        I thought Ugas was fading down the stretch. I had Porter winning rounds 9, 10, and 11. I thought Ugas won rounds 3, 4, and 5. The rest was up in the air to me.

Comment

Porter did way too much running. He didn't engage enough for my taste and Ugas landed the cleaner shots. I think what hurt Ugas are the rounds he waited to counter instead of attacking and being first. Ugas had the size advantage he could have attacked more. With that said he still did more than Porter who didn't do much in the 11th and practically ran the entire 12th round.

Comment

Originally posted by George Orwell View Post
            Ugas deserves to lose. He acted like he already won each round simply by walking Porter down. He failed to break Porter down and take the fight to the champ. He controlled the fight but failed to let his hands go. He deserves credit for doing half the job IMO, and deserved to lose for not doing more.
            Absolutely.

Comment

Originally posted by JWHardin View Post
              It was without question a knockdown in the 12th. Should have been a 10-8 round for Ugas.
              It was a knockdown. As it turned out, that non-call decided the fight. It was close. A 10-8 round for Ugas removes all doubt about who won the round, and gives Yordenis that vital extra point. That’s the way the ball bounces.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
                It was a knockdown. As it turned out, that non-call decided the fight. It was close. A 10-8 round for Ugas removes all doubt about who won the round, and gives Yordenis that vital extra point. That’s the way the ball bounces.
                Sad to say but it wasn't. Watch this at .25 speed.
                https://youtu.be/-k7NCtz4Jwc?t=17 and watch Porter's back foot.

Porter's back toe slips and that causes the fall. It's actually quite clear at that speed. At full speed it's an outstanding call by the ref and many would have gotten it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Granath View Post
                  Sad to say but it wasn't. Watch this at .25 speed.
                  https://youtu.be/-k7NCtz4Jwc?t=17 and watch Porter's back foot.

Porter's back toe slips and that causes the fall. It's actually quite clear at that speed. At full speed it's an outstanding call by the ref and many would have gotten it wrong.
                  Did you hear what “Boom Boom” had to say? A punch landed and the man went down. That’s the way I understand the rule, too. Thurman, of course, had a point, but I’m not sure it’s supposed to change anything. And if the canvass was wet, why didn’t the ref order it to be wiped down? I’m not complaining about it; I’m more concerned about understanding the rule correctly. Two professionals were at odds on this call. Only in boxing. Lol

Comment

I had it 115-113 Porter, and I didn't think it was a knockdown. I thought the slip was the right call.

I thought the commentary team was very bad overall.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
                      Did you hear what “Boom Boom” had to say? A punch landed and the man went down. That’s the way I understand the rule, too. Thurman, of course, had a point, but I’m not sure it’s supposed to change anything. And if the canvass was wet, why didn’t the ref order it to be wiped down? I’m not complaining about it; I’m more concerned about understanding the rule correctly. Two professionals were at odds on this call. Only in boxing. Lol
                      It can be a bit subjective. But the video, slowed down, is quite clear on whether it's a slip or not. I don't think many looked at it in that manner. The back foot slip really stands out at quarter speed but at full speed it's hard to catch.

I think Porter has seriously poor footwork. I would have never trusted just the tip of my boot to plant on the canvas. He did and it slipped; if the ref had called it a knockdown it'd be incorrect but would be entirely understandable to miss a call like that. But he didn't, it wasn't a knockdown and if someone is relying on a judgement call like that to win a championship fight because their work rate wasn't high well...I have no sympathy.

Comment

Working...
                      X