No announcement yet.

Joanna Jedrzejczyk on loss to Rose Namajunas: ‘I didn’t tap’

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joanna Jedrzejczyk on loss to Rose Namajunas: ‘I didn’t tap’

Joanna Jedrzejczyk appeared to submit to Rose Namajunas’ striking onslaught in the first round of their strawweight title tussle in New York on Saturday night, but the dethroned former champion claims that she did not tap out to bring an end to the contest.

Speaking on this week’s edition of The MMA Hour – just two days after she lost her title – Jedrzejczyk insisted that she never signaled to bring the fight to an end.

“Someone said that I tapped, I never tapped,” Jedrzejczyk told Ariel Helwani.

“Are you kidding me? It was probably that I was trying to stand up, but I didn’t. It was a piece of a second for me.

“I know it took a while – from the punch to the ground and pound when I had the turtle position, but for me it was a like a piece of a second. I know it was a few long seconds.

“It looks totally different than people think it is.”

Pressed again, Jedrzejczyk underlined her belief that she must have been trying to stand up and simply got caught of balance as she tried to gain a stable base from her hand.

“I didn’t tap…I didn’t tap. I heard this, like two times, but come on…I didn’t tap…I didn’t tap. It was probably I was trying to stand up,” she said again.

“I didn’t know what was going on at that time probably. My body…I couldn’t get the right balance, you know? I didn’t tap, I never tapped and I didn’t tap.”

Speaking about the stoppage, the ATT fighter said she felt as if she was standing beside the action watching the action unfold. She also revealed that she felt slower than she had in her previous outings while she was warming up.

“Believe me that it was a mistake, and I felt like I was not there,” she explained. “I got cut, she cut me up and I felt like I was standing next to it watching it. I was like, ‘Let me go, what happened?’

“I didn’t see the punch, the power of the punch. She didn’t hit hard, you know, but right to the point, I don’t know what happened.

“I just remember that during the warm-up I was feeling more slower than usually. I don’t know why, I must go to the fight week and figure it out.”

Although Jedrzejczyk is adamant that she did not tap out to Namajunas’ ground and pound, she does believe it was the right time to stop the fight.

“Of course, I was out, but I don’t know why,” she replied when asked if it was the right time to stop the action.

“Maybe there was something wrong with my brain or head, but I don’t know. I will figure out what happened because it’s unusual.

“I have almost 100 fights in my time in boxing and kickboxing. I had 15 fights in MMA and nothing ever happened before. It was the first time I got cut, someone knocked me down.”

I thought it was a TKO myself. And I've read it listed as a TKO in a couple of places.

Why do unbeaten fighters or ones that haven't lost in a long time (JJ, Anderson Silva, Aldo) seem to lose so easily once they finally lose or lose again? Were they not that good, did they not face a tough opponent in the past or do they get too complacent and over confident after being used to winning for so long?
    Last edited by Anthony342; 11-07-2017, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
      I thought it was a TKO myself. And I've read it listed as a TKO in a couple of places.

Why do unbeaten fighters or ones that haven't lost in a long time (JJ, Anderson Silva, Aldo) seem to lose so easily once they finally lose or lose again? Were they not that good, did they not face a tough opponent in the past or do they get too complacent and over confident after being used to winning for so long?
      If you watch the video of the end, she is tapping as she is getting battered and that's why Rose stopped hitting her.

Comment

Ah okay. But why, when these fighters do finally lose, do they seem to lose so easily? Rousey would be another example as well. Are they too old by then or just limited in their skills?

Comment

I guess its safe to say then namajunas punches were bouncing your head and hands off the canvas

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
            Ah okay. But why, when these fighters do finally lose, do they seem to lose so easily? Rousey would be another example as well. Are they too old by then or just limited in their skills?
            if you go on an 11 win streak you start to get overconfident, and start thinking no one can beat you, maybe then you take training less seriously and are really shocked when someone young and hungry with a good set of skills decides he/she wants that belt. after winning for so long and believing the hype that they're invincible it's devastating to the confidence of a fighter to finally lose, i can see why some of them never recover. now joanna has fear when she steps into the ring, fear makes people hestitate and question themselves

Comment

Working...
            X