Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Examples of when "casuals" are smarter than "hardcore" fans...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Examples of when "casuals" are smarter than "hardcore" fans...

The problem with the "hardcores know better than casuals" argument is that while "hardcore" fans collect a lot more information about boxing, a lot of it is complete BS. In the recent past this has often skewed people's perceptions so they've made really dumb predictions.

Some famous examples in recent years:

Joshua vs Martin:

Uneducated "casual" fan's opinion - "Who the **** is this guy Martin? He's never fought anyone I've heard of, he's in terrible shape and won his title against a guy that fell over. Meanwhile, AJ's a gold medallist who is in perfect physical condition and is knocking everyone out. AJ is going to KO Martin."

Educated "hardcore" fan's opinion - "Martin is slick southpaw with great fundamentals, he's a throwback to the 90s era heavyweights. On the other hand, while AJ is a gold medallist, anyone who knows boxing knows that he lost most of his fights in the Olympics and he's been fighting bums ever since. Martin's going to KO that hypejob AJ."

Result - Joshua KOs Martin in 2.

Garcia vs Matthysse:

Uneducated "casual" fan's opinion - "Garcia is the unbeaten unified champion. He's beaten guys I've heard of like Khan, Morales and Zab Judah. I don't know many of Matthysse's opponents but he has two loses on his record so I'm gonna go with Garcia."

Educated "hardcore" fan's opinion - "Garcia only has one punch, he can't actually box and he's been extremely lucky in his fights so far. Matthysse isn't known to a lot of people yet but clearly the new Pacquiao because he KO'd Lamont Peterson. He's gonna knockout that bum Garcia too."

Result - Garcia decisions Matthysse.

What are examples where limited boxing knowledge is proven correct against the perceived wisdom of fans "who know boxing"? Or, what are your predictions for the future that go against the grain of what the "hardcore" fans think?

LOL, who the hell come out with that about Charles Martin

Comment

Originally posted by Randall Cunning View Post
      But you've got to admit, he has a lot of point lm

Comment

should do a thread about all the "hardcore fans" on here who profess to have all this nuanced technical knowledge of the sport, yet have never boxed a day in their life. like this guy aboutfukntime...who went on and on about his expertise in all things cutting weight, and it turned out that he was acting like an authority on the matter cuz he was in synchronized swimming or some bs when he was 9 yrs old that he allegedly had to cut weight for.

Comment

"Sore back" lmao
          Im a casual and i knew degale was a bum.
          Well tbh i dont even think i qualify as a casual cause i dont even watch boxing

Comment

Man so many alts joining the site this month. Wut the f#ck is up wit dat?!?!?

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
              It happens in waves for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                Not an alt, I just lost access to my old account which was annoying. Why do you think that?

Comment

Originally posted by Randall Cunning View Post
                  From my memory some people did. But maybe it's an exaggeration of *most* people's views. But you don't remember them saying that stuff about Joshua though?

Comment

Casuals: McGregor will KO mayweather
                    Hardcore: this fight won't be a contest and Floyd will win easily

Result: Floyd KOed McGregor

Comment

Working...
                    X