No announcement yet.

Advice and Opinions needed ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice and Opinions needed ?

Hi I'm a new member here, I just wanted to know if someone could help me out with some thoughts on my boxing, I want to know where I can improve,what I should stop doing and what i should start doing, etc. Please don't hate but do tell me where I can improve

This is me on the heavy bag
    (Wouldn't let me post a link since I'm a new member but thanks to for posting the linked video in the reply below )
    I
    I
    V
    Last edited by TJayIV; 04-18-2017, 12:15 AM. Reason: Link is now posted

You can post the video directly into the forum by right clicking the Youtube video and choose embed option.

Then post the embedded link in here.

Comment

You seem to have some decent speed and power.
      I like you doing quite a lot of head movement and throwing fast combinations, and mixing it with body shots!

Here are the things you can improve on:

- You stand far too narrow and squared up which takes all the balance away from you

- Throw more jabs to the head, body

- move around more, don't be flat footed!

- Keep your hands higher when throwing shots and when moving around, you are not Tyson!
      Your face is sometimes wide open.

- Be more relaxed! You seem to be quite stiff which takes away your power and speed

- Turn your hips more when throwing shots.

- Create more angles! Don't just stand directly in front of the bag

- Keep your chin lower.

- When you are relaxing from a fast combination don't just stand there!
      Move your feet, your head or throw some light punches. You want to constantly be active.

Comment

Ever seen the film zoo lander? Remember he can't turn left on the catwalk? Is one of your legs longer than the other, is this why you constantly circle the same way?
        Punch, punch punch, typically 3 punch combo, circle to the right, is all I saw.

Step in and out, come forward from a 45 degree angle either right or left foot. Some good chopping angles but throw more jabs, fast and snappy, your jab should be used (noticeably used) more than any other punch.

Comment

check out my channel it might help my main guys have always been southpaws... so it could be some good video study for you ..
          If you learn from the channel please subscribe thanks.

Southpaw Technique | Throwing a Straight Left Hand
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uHcfGUeSag

Technique Breakdown | Ep. 2 | 5-0 Pro Shadowboxing
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TM4HWL412zY

Southpaw Technique | Manny Pacquiao 1-1-2
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bReeuzHsEoA

Kevin Cruz 3rd Pro Fight
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNl_o4tBpUc
          Last edited by Mike_Erm; 04-16-2017, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TJayIV View Post
            Hi I'm a new member here, I just wanted to know if someone could help me out with some thoughts on my boxing, I want to know where I can improve,what I should stop doing and what i should start doing, etc. Please don't hate but do tell me where I can improve

This is me on the heavy bag
            (Wouldn't let me post a link since I'm a new member but i will still leave it here without click on straight to the page, if someone could help me out please copy and paste please)

https://youtu.be/2cURBH5iXhY
            Looking decent. I like that you're incorporating head-movement. Most neglect to do that.
            You are getting squared up a lot, mind your footwork and maybe work on distance and movement a bit more (which will help remind you not to get squared up).
            Overall, not bad at all.

Comment

Hey thanks everyone for the honest feedback I've been trying to improve my footwork and loosen up now, I want to get rid of bad habits before they get worse.
              Here's is something though, two of you mentioned my jab, which I throw a lot but not as often as I should, reason behind this is because my trainer is always telling me to come with the straight left for my shots, im a South paw with a huge height and reach disadvantage, my height being 5'0 and having the shortest reach of all my gym. Now my jab won't work against most my opponents which is why I work my headmovement a lot, I slip bob and weave to get inside and then work my hooks first to the body then to the head mostly, jab vs jab is not an option for me when sparring (I've tried). Any new thoughts on this?
              Oh yeah really I mostly work on combinations on the bag, the distance part I use when slipping and going in, I get far where my jab can't reach, then slip in and go with the straight left, I can almost always catch my opponents when they are throwing a jab with my left by slipping.
              And one last question if I may, when i spar I spar with a guy who is 5'11 and 40 lbs more than me, I feel it keeps me practicing my height and reach disadvantage but one guy on another forum said I should be sparing guys my weight division because they are much quicker, thoughts on this ? Thank you all

Comment

You should mix it up and fight guys, lighter, heavier and the same weight

If you are going to compete then look at getting good rounds in with a guy with the attributes of your opponent

Heavier guys - will hit you hard, then when you are in a real fight, the shock of getting hit hard and rocked will help you to overcome their power as you will have developed a resistance to it

Lighter guys - will hit you often and fast, this will help you to move a lot, sharpen your reflexes, learn to move more than you thought, help you to still throw when they hit you with a flurry knocking your rhythm out

Same size guys - should combine the attributes of above and give you a more realistic fight scenario

I see no purpose sparring guys 5 or 6 weight divisions above or below you, personally, i would get rounds in with someone 14lbs either either side of my fighting weight

Comment

Working...
                X