No announcement yet.

David Lemieux Calls Out Cotto On Twitter

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bigdunny1 View Post
    Lucas is short only 5'6, but more importantly Cotto had a long time to slowly move up weight classes to get to 154. Lucas just had 1 fight at 147 and before he can prove himself a real welterweight jump up to Jr Middleweight or a catchweight? It's a fight Cotto would take and be favored but I'm not sure how you convince Lucas to take this especially when he's already guaranteed a title shot with the WBO 147lb champ. If Lucas just wants a payday and a sure L he can take it. Cotto's problem is he doesn't want to fight any of the top contenders or title holders at 154 where he just won a belt. None of those guys are names so it's just all risk no reward. So we are stuck trying to be creative looking at big names at 147 or 160.

Lemieux too big sure Cotto might go up if the payday is crazy that's why he'd do it for a Canelo rematch (still not sure he ever wants GGG he passed on that fight years ago).

Lucas too small. Brook and Khan have both already moved up and can easily make 154. Those guys are perfect size but do either guy want that fight? Then you throw in Cotto's aggressive time table he's dictating. Just eliminate the Dec I'm retiring deadline and it opens up more fights. He sure looks like he has a lot left little to no slippage in the Kamegai fight. Just retire May/June 2018 instead.
    isn't brook out injured again with another broken eye socket or whatever? if not lemuieux than I could see a canelo rematch win or lose against ggg.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
      I don't think this fight will happen. Lemieux is wasting his time trying to get a big money fight with Cotto. Cotto is a big welterweight or a small Jr. middleweight. Lemieux is a big very hard punching middleweight. I think Cotto wants an easier fight for his last fight. Lemieux has said before he can't go below 160 and Cotto won't agree to fight at that weight.
      This is why the fight won't happen.

Lemieux struggles to even make 160 nd Cotto isn't going to go over 154 for him.

Comment

Originally posted by MDPopescu View Post
        ... Either Canelo or GGG would be criticized in a wild manner in case they try to take this fight... and a GGG fight would be a massive flop...
        Oh yea GBP & Canelo is super worried about criticism lol. Been fighting Liam Smith & Amir Khan. Cotto is 3 steps up in comparison + a whole other flight of stairs ahead of Liam Smith for name upside.

And the best thing in the world that could happen to GGG besides a rematch with Canelo post-Canelo is a Cotto fight. Cotto is money in the bank for GGG.

Comment

crazy fight if it happens. Lemieux would massacre cotto.

Comment

Originally posted by vaborikua2014 View Post
            Ok but cottos the a side what does this fight do for him? Theres not even a title involved
            Lemieux is a big name, realistically he's a bigger star than anyone at 154 lb apart from Canelo, and probably the biggest name at middleweight that isn't Golovkin or Jacobs. He brings money to the table.

Lemieux is also relatively young and still fairly well-regarded by boxing fans, Cotto beating him would be a significant win considering where Cotto is in his career.

Finally Lemieux's style will make for a fun fight. He's not going to rush right at Cotto with no regard for defense like Kamegai did, but he'll still come to fight, which suits Cotto's boxer-puncher style.

I sorta hope Cotto holds fast for the Canelo-GGG winner (although I think both would handle him without too much trouble) but if not, Lemieux is the next best option for us boxing fans, and I'd rather see Cotto-Lemieux than Cotto-TomatoCan if it's really his last fight.

But then, I'll support Cotto no matter who he fights, and if he wants to take an easy touch to close his career out with a good win I think he's more than earned that right.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Boxer View Post
              Brook, Thurman, Danny and Mayweather.

Hell, Floyd vs Miguel for the true retirement fight! When Cotto sprks him, the rematch woukd be legendary!
              This except leave mayweather off the list since thatll never happen lol. Conor vs cotto would be a big money fight with a guaranteed cotto ko victory

Comment

Originally posted by The Ninth Layer View Post
                Lemieux is a big name, realistically he's a bigger star than anyone at 154 lb apart from Canelo, and probably the biggest name at middleweight that isn't Golovkin or Jacobs. He brings money to the table.

Lemieux is also relatively young and still fairly well-regarded by boxing fans, Cotto beating him would be a significant win considering where Cotto is in his career.

Finally Lemieux's style will make for a fun fight. He's not going to rush right at Cotto with no regard for defense like Kamegai did, but he'll still come to fight, which suits Cotto's boxer-puncher style.

I sorta hope Cotto holds fast for the Canelo-GGG winner (although I think both would handle him without too much trouble) but if not, Lemieux is the next best option for us boxing fans, and I'd rather see Cotto-Lemieux than Cotto-TomatoCan if it's really his last fight.

But then, I'll support Cotto no matter who he fights, and if he wants to take an easy touch to close his career out with a good win I think he's more than earned that right.
                I dnt consider lemieux a big namr. I think hes in between. The only big fight he was really in was vs ggg and that didnt go good for him. Theres names like u said ggg,canelo,jacobs then at 154 a rematch to avenge his loss to trout and theres also brooks or maybe even khan whos been callin out cotto. Then at 147 names like Danny, thurman or porter at a 150. Now i know not all those names are possible but its an example all those names are all bigger names except maybe trout but theres the revenge factor for that one. Also a danny vs cotto in ny would be a huge all puertorican matchup

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
                  I don't think this fight will happen. Lemieux is wasting his time trying to get a big money fight with Cotto. Cotto is a big welterweight or a small Jr. middleweight. Lemieux is a big very hard punching middleweight. I think Cotto wants an easier fight for his last fight. Lemieux has said before he can't go below 160 and Cotto won't agree to fight at that weight.
                  He was 161 fight night. He's no small welter weight. LOL

Comment

Cotto needs to man up and fight Golovkin after he kills Canelo. Not pay him another 800k to step aside lmfao.

Comment

Originally posted by vaborikua2014 View Post
                      I dnt consider lemieux a big namr. I think hes in between. The only big fight he was really in was vs ggg and that didnt go good for him. Theres names like u said ggg,canelo,jacobs then at 154 a rematch to avenge his loss to trout and theres also brooks or maybe even khan whos been callin out cotto. Then at 147 names like Danny, thurman or porter at a 150. Now i know not all those names are possible but its an example all those names are all bigger names except maybe trout but theres the revenge factor for that one. Also a danny vs cotto in ny would be a huge all puertorican matchup
                      Lemieux has a big fanbase in Canada, he probably brings more money to the fight than anyone in this post besides Khan.

Danny Garcia, Keith Thurman and Shawn Porter are all Haymon/PBC fighters and Cotto is Golden Boy, the odds of those fights happening aren't 0 but they are very small. Network deals, promotional politics (who's the A-side between Cotto and Thurman?), and bad history between Haymon and ODLH will all get in the way of these matches.

Outside of welterweights moving up Cotto's options at 154-160 aren't great. Austin Trout is scheduled for an October fight but even if he was available I don't think he's lucrative enough for Cotto to bother, even if it would avenge one of his losses. Cotto's not going to fight a Charlo or Lara either for similar reasons, they don't bring the fans out.

Brook is out on injury last I heard, and there are questions of whether he fights again. I think Khan is an intriguing option, it might be one of the few matches that can make Khan the kind of money he seems to be holding out for. But it's arguably less relevant than Cotto-Lemieux considering Khan hasn't fought since Canelo who knocked him out.

Comment

Working...
                      X