No announcement yet.

Thoughts on guard

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on guard

Hi there I'm new to boxing and to the forum. Taking to boxing very well after a background in martial arts. After watching Callum smith who is my height and weight I adopted a high guard very similar to his. In honesty so far in sparring it's working extremely well. I barely ever get hit and feel very confident with this guard. I have read into the guard and I am aware of it's potential limitations. I'm considering making a slight adjustment by bringing the left hand away from the temple to float about 7-8 inches in front of chin. I would probably keep it nearer temple when in close to opponent but have it floating when near the outer range of opponent (I'm likely taller with longer reach than most opponents at my weight). The reason I'm looking to try the new left hand position is after watching Lennox Lewis talk about having the left hand closer to the opponent to improve jab speed. And I feel like it does, just need to try it in sparring and hope the left hand gets back to temple fast enough when needed. Does anyone use a similar guard? Any thoughts? Cheers

Originally posted by 0stiffjab0 View Post
    Hi there I'm new to boxing and to the forum. Taking to boxing very well after a background in martial arts. After watching Callum smith who is my height and weight I adopted a high guard very similar to his. In honesty so far in sparring it's working extremely well. I barely ever get hit and feel very confident with this guard. I have read into the guard and I am aware of it's potential limitations. I'm considering making a slight adjustment by bringing the left hand away from the temple to float about 7-8 inches in front of chin. I would probably keep it nearer temple when in close to opponent but have it floating when near the outer range of opponent (I'm likely taller with longer reach than most opponents at my weight). The reason I'm looking to try the new left hand position is after watching Lennox Lewis talk about having the left hand closer to the opponent to improve jab speed. And I feel like it does, just need to try it in sparring and hope the left hand gets back to temple fast enough when needed. Does anyone use a similar guard? Any thoughts? Cheers
    That makes sense, fighters often have different guards for different ranges. Floyd Mayweather does a high guard before popping jabs from long range and philly shell up close for instance.

Comment

Working...
    X