Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Naseem Hamed or Antonio Tarver who place's higher on a all time great list?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hamed and it isnt close

Comment

Seriously? It's Tarver and it's not even close. Nobody wants to give the man ANY credit. It's ridiculous. Roy Jones won a really close fight in the 1st fight so he obviously wasn't past his best then. Tarver ended Roy Jones Jr's prime. Glenn Johnson destroyed whatever was left. Then Tarver lost to Glenn in a good close fight, but Tarver easily avenged it in the 2nd fight.

Antonio Tarver ended Roy Jones Jr's prime and superman status. Hamed lost to the only great fighter he fought in Barrera. He was only popular because he was flashy, but that doesn't make resume. His division wasn't too hott either. Not to mention Tarver still could win the cruiserweight title this summer.

Comment

Originally posted by Natedatpkid View Post
        Seriously? It's Tarver and it's not even close. Nobody wants to give the man ANY credit. It's ridiculous. Roy Jones won a really close fight in the 1st fight so he obviously wasn't past his best then. Tarver ended Roy Jones Jr's prime. Glenn Johnson destroyed whatever was left. Then Tarver lost to Glenn in a good close fight, but Tarver easily avenged it in the 2nd fight.

Antonio Tarver ended Roy Jones Jr's prime and superman status. Hamed lost to the only great fighter he fought in Barrera. He was only popular because he was flashy, but that doesn't make resume. His division wasn't too hott either. Not to mention Tarver still could win the cruiserweight title this summer.
        I see eye to eye with you most of the time but I think you are underrating Hamed a bit.

Watch his fights closely, and take a closer look at the resume. It's better than he gets credit for and the Hamed that fought Barrera was not the best version of Hamed by a longshot.

I gotta go with Hamed here. Tarver beating Jones is impressive but I think that Hamed was the more skilled fighter, did more for the sport, and I found it very impressive how he came to the US and handled Kevin Kelley.

Cesar Soto and Augie Sanchez were both solid wins. Augie was an excellent fighter and Naz beat the **** out of him. Watch Naseem put him into a coma.

Comment

Originally posted by CarlosG815 View Post
          I see eye to eye with you most of the time but I think you are underrating Hamed a bit.
          Just a bit.

"He was only popular because he was flashy, but that doesn't make résumé."

No, what makes a resume is establishing a looooooong-ass reign at the top of a weight-class by beating up (brutally knocking out, in most cases) a string of past, contemporaneous and future titlists and game contenders, unifying belts and roughing up whichever alpha titlists he could put hands on.

I don't understand why cats can't leave their belligerent attitudes at the door of the History section (to spare us these hideously wrong categorical statements). I can be as belligerent as anyone, and yet I still do it, for the good of the subforum. Maybe it's just poor breeding, lack of education etc.

Farewell.

Comment

Originally posted by fitefanSHO View Post
            Wait a minute, excuse me, he beat Rocky Balboa!

balboa was robbed!!!

Comment

Roy Jones showed in the first Tarver fight he was quite visiblly on the slide.

You're underrating Hamed's resume. He has solid names and a solid reign.

Much more than Tarver does, atleast.
              Last edited by IronDanHamza; 05-25-2011, 03:08 AM.

Comment

Tarver won (and lost) to RJ and Johnson. Other than that, what? Hamed beat at least 10 former, current, or future world champions. If it wasn't for a famous one punch KO, Tarver would have been considered an average 175 lb champion.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
                  Tarver won (and lost) to RJ and Johnson. Other than that, what? Hamed beat at least 10 former, current, or future world champions. If it wasn't for a famous one punch KO, Tarver would have been considered an average 175 lb champion.
                  I agree Scott. But we can't discredit the KO altogether, he is an above average champion. Great fighter Tarver was, but Naz was special. Naz is one of those once in a lifetime guys.

Comment

Originally posted by CarlosG815 View Post
                    I agree Scott. But we can't discredit the KO altogether, he is an above average champion. Great fighter Tarver was, but Naz was special. Naz is one of those once in a lifetime guys.
                    Oh I loved that KO. It made me money and it made me happy.

Definitely one of the most memorable KO's I've ever seen.

Comment

Originally posted by PRINCE O' PROSE View Post
                      Just a bit.

"He was only popular because he was flashy, but that doesn't make résumé."

No, what makes a resume is establishing a looooooong-ass reign at the top of a weight-class by beating up (brutally knocking out, in most cases) a string of past, contemporaneous and future titlists and game contenders, unifying belts and roughing up whichever alpha titlists he could put hands on.

I don't understand why cats can't leave their belligerent attitudes at the door of the History section (to spare us these hideously wrong categorical statements). I can be as belligerent as anyone, and yet I still do it, for the good of the subforum. Maybe it's just poor breeding, lack of education etc.

Farewell.
                      You're looking more into it than you need to.

Really, unlearned? Seriously sounding like a scorned woman with a venomous tongue right now that can't grasp the idea of the reality of a difference in opinion.

Any fighter that steps up in competition and then quits just like the woman you're portraying to be in your posts is NOT better than Tarver.

Get your head out of your ass, its Tarver,
                      Last edited by baya; 05-24-2011, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X