Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reactive Mitts with a student (Showing Off)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the record Barry, I'm not trying to troll here. I am genuinely seeking answers.

I have been a subscriber to your Youtube channel since the beginning when you had only 2 or 3 videos uploaded.

I am always looking for new methods of training and have got many ideas from your channel. I have tried, tested and / or adapted many of the techniques I have seen in your videos.

I did spend a couple of years learning this style of mitt work myself with an open mind. Simply out of curiosity.

I do use this Mayweather style pad work on occasions now. Virtually every guy at our club loves this style of mitt work so I don't mind giving them a couple of round now and again - training has to be enjoyable.

Comment

Originally posted by BarryRobinson View Post
      Literally 7 different people have explained to you including myself over 10 different post.

The problem is simple. You don't want new knowledge. "There is more to reading than word meets eye." You are All In on this debate with clearly a closed mind. I say again 7 different people including myself have explained to you. I refuse to appease you on this thread also.

You simply have poor study habits. That is not an insult, it's fact. You are not a good researcher, you have poor study habits, and worse you don't listen. Mainly because you don't want to. This is my last response to you.

I come on this thread to share my training that I have acquire through a lot of training, amateur fights, teaching, traveling, mentors, but most of all my willingness to sacrifice my personal life and more essentially have an open mind.

Take Care Authority. I hope you and a few other trainers here post. any type of training you do so I can break it down and analyze it instead of just talking. I posted intentionally 5 different styles of mitts 1 can do on the mitts with various students from Pro Athletes, Amateurs, Kids, and White Collar. When you can do the same, I will start entertaining you again. Until then Step Your Game Up Coach
      In some cases, the argument can be made that you just can't teach an old dog new tricks. Kid has all the answers and no track record of success or even evidence that he's qualified to train. Pointless dealing with a brick wall.

Comment

Originally posted by deejd View Post
        In some cases, the argument can be made that you just can't teach an old dog new tricks. Kid has all the answers and no track record of success or even evidence that he's qualified to train. Pointless dealing with a brick wall.
        I don't think for one minute I have all the answers, I'm the first one to admit I still have lots to learn. I don't have any track record of success, I'm just a coach at my local boxing club.

Regardless, I have asked several perfectly reasonable questions in these mitt work threads and still no one has attempted an honest response. I wonder why this is? Everyone, has deliberately side stepped the questions because they know they can't give an honest answer without looking silly.

I wonder how popular this tip - tap / chin in the air, square stance mitt work would be if Floyd didn't do it? If it were "Antonio Margarito Style" mitt work, would it be as popular and as MARKETABLE?

Comment

Choreographic mitt work is a very nice demo to watch but it serves no purpose for the ring!! Sorry but theres nothing I'm viewing that I see being brought to a boxing match or a fight!
          Mitt work is a great tool for teaching and guiding a student through their lessons of combination punching and the movements needed to incorperate both to form a well rounded attack. However the majority of whats seen on the forum and any where else is a "demo" of a fighter "exercising"!! No way are Mitts apart of conditioning they are however used in todays sessions to form a bond between trainer and fighter and serve as a mental exercise along with good eye hand coordination. It also becomes a sequence of moves and motions and can help a fighters reactions however it does repeat itself to the point of choreography.

Also the videos being watched are specific routunes so their not to be viewed as an all around training session that features combination punching. I think the Russian trainer was working on a slip and one punch counter for the most part and Barrys was an exercise developing some fluidity using a roll under and a pivot glide step!

My original post was NOT discounting mitt work rather stateing that I think theirs to much time spent on it and more time needs to be spent on delivering power not just speed alone! I also see it used as a conditioning exercise and theres far better exercises to use for that measure than Mitts!

Because a "new" idea or concept is "new" doesn't mean it's valid! We've been working mitts for generations so its not new! What is new is the approach and the amount of time spent using them.
          Quick handed fighters with little power seem to be produced today and I do attribute some of "blame" on miss use of the tool. Also the amatuer boxing trainers who have grown into the pro ranks bring that style of training with them and as the generations move on the emphasis on sitting down on punches and short stepping into range is slowly evaporating.

Watching youngsters box cleanly and efficently is a beautufull sight but when I view men in a bout I want to see "meaningfull" punches along with boxing skills. Amatuer boxing is like Checkers, lots of moves and quick counters. Pro boxing is Chess...........................with Consequences!! To each his own!
          Ray Corso

Comment

Originally posted by TheAuthority View Post
            I don't think for one minute I have all the answers, I'm the first one to admit I still have lots to learn. I don't have any track record of success, I'm just a coach at my local boxing club.

Regardless, I have asked several perfectly reasonable questions in these mitt work threads and still no one has attempted an honest response. I wonder why this is? Everyone, has deliberately side stepped the questions because they know they can't give an honest answer without looking silly.

I wonder how popular this tip - tap / chin in the air, square stance mitt work would be if Floyd didn't do it? If it were "Antonio Margarito Style" mitt work, would it be as popular and as MARKETABLE?
            You're asking questions that a boxing coach wouldn't ask. In smaller words [just for you], you're trolling.

Comment

Originally posted by deejd View Post
              You're asking questions that a boxing coach wouldn't ask. In smaller words [just for you], you're trolling.
              Lol ... "questions a boxing coach wouldn't ask" !!!

Humour me - answer my questions.

Do you genuinely believe the same drills would not be more effective if technique and power were used instead of chin in the air, tip tap punches and a square stance?

The way I see it, for any given drill / sequence of movements, you have the following options:

Option 1 : Try to argue that chin in the air, tip tap punches and a square stance are more effective than throwing shots using good technique and power - in which case I would genuinely love to hear your reasoning.

Option 2 : Concede that chin in the air, tip tap punches and a square stance are less effective than throwing shots using good technique and power and admit you are wrong.

You are basically arguing that option 1 is more effective - I can not understand how anyone could hold this position. Educate me, show me your reasoning.

Comment

Lol ... "questions a boxing coach wouldn't ask" !!!

Humour me - answer my questions.

Do you genuinely believe the same drills would not be more effective if technique and power were used instead of chin in the air, tip tap punches and a square stance?

The way I see it, for any given drill / sequence of movements, you have the following options:

Option 1 : Try to argue that chin in the air, tip tap punches and a square stance are more effective than throwing shots using good technique and power - in which case I would genuinely love to hear your reasoning.

Option 2 : Concede that chin in the air, tip tap punches and a square stance are less effective than throwing shots using good technique and power and admit you are wrong.

You are basically arguing that option 1 is more effective - I can not understand how anyone could hold this position. Educate me, show me your reasoning.
                I addressed your lousy questions in the other thread. It's pathetic that a 32-year-old grown man who claims to be a boxing coach can only resort to trolling on a forum. You should be wasting less time on here and spending more time creating a champion with basic power punches. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                  Choreographic mitt work is a very nice demo to watch but it serves no purpose for the ring!! Sorry but theres nothing I'm viewing that I see being brought to a boxing match or a fight!
                  Mitt work is a great tool for teaching and guiding a student through their lessons of combination punching and the movements needed to incorperate both to form a well rounded attack. However the majority of whats seen on the forum and any where else is a "demo" of a fighter "exercising"!! No way are Mitts apart of conditioning they are however used in todays sessions to form a bond between trainer and fighter and serve as a mental exercise along with good eye hand coordination. It also becomes a sequence of moves and motions and can help a fighters reactions however it does repeat itself to the point of choreography.

Also the videos being watched are specific routunes so their not to be viewed as an all around training session that features combination punching. I think the Russian trainer was working on a slip and one punch counter for the most part and Barrys was an exercise developing some fluidity using a roll under and a pivot glide step!

My original post was NOT discounting mitt work rather stateing that I think theirs to much time spent on it and more time needs to be spent on delivering power not just speed alone! I also see it used as a conditioning exercise and theres far better exercises to use for that measure than Mitts!

Because a "new" idea or concept is "new" doesn't mean it's valid! We've been working mitts for generations so its not new! What is new is the approach and the amount of time spent using them.
                  Quick handed fighters with little power seem to be produced today and I do attribute some of "blame" on miss use of the tool. Also the amatuer boxing trainers who have grown into the pro ranks bring that style of training with them and as the generations move on the emphasis on sitting down on punches and short stepping into range is slowly evaporating.

Watching youngsters box cleanly and efficently is a beautufull sight but when I view men in a bout I want to see "meaningfull" punches along with boxing skills. Amatuer boxing is like Checkers, lots of moves and quick counters. Pro boxing is Chess...........................with Consequences!! To each his own!
                  Ray Corso
                  that exercise with the mitts is not so much about punching but rather about training the eyes and the rhtyme of the slipping and counters aswell as stamina. as long as his pupil is turning his shots over and raising his elbow on the hooks there would really be nothing wrong with it. there is actually plenty to be gained from this excersise.........Rockin'

Comment

Rockin;......as I stated from the beginning its an eye / hand drill and a great tool to teach the combination by putting together a sequences of numbers!
                    example in my gym would be; (1/2 under/over) is a jab sraight right hand a bend down (knees) and a short left upper cut bringing the right hand over the opponents right shoulder!
                    Using a few numbers and as few words as possible during mitt sessions is how you teach a student the punch sequences you want! I'm NOT knocking mitt work however I feel theres too much time spent on them because I see the end results in the fight with alot of fighters who can't punch!!!
                    In my years of training fighters one of the least liked session in general is heavy bag work!! Unless the routine is understood as the most important exercise to build power in punches its rarely liked!!! I know established pros and champions of the world who really didn't care for the big bag once they were established!
                    Thats all I'm saying is its over used my some and the theirs a negative attached to it. I'm not saying its worthless!!

deejd: I believe the Authority is very geniune in his questions and hasn't insulted you once! You however "question" his abilities as a trainer and if he trains at all! I have cooresponed with him many times now about his own sons growth as a Junior Boxer and I can tell you he is a very concerned parent and trainer! Granted the "Authority" label is a reason for youth to challenge but then again its a catchy logo to me!! Ray.

Comment

For the record Barry, I'm not trying to troll here. I am genuinely seeking answers.

I have been a subscriber to your Youtube channel since the beginning when you had only 2 or 3 videos uploaded.

I am always looking for new methods of training and have got many ideas from your channel. I have tried, tested and / or adapted many of the techniques I have seen in your videos.

I did spend a couple of years learning this style of mitt work myself with an open mind. Simply out of curiosity.

I do use this Mayweather style pad work on occasions now. Virtually every guy at our club loves this style of mitt work so I don't mind giving them a couple of round now and again - training has to be enjoyable.
                      Refer to this thread. I posted several answers in a very Tongue-in-cheek thread titled "Vrgil Hunter should know better! Ward undefeated??".

Additionally I posted 4 other threads("Boxing Focus Mitt Training Routine anyone(Fighter/Trainer can do (Power Punches)", "Having fun with a youngster (7 years old) on the mitts", "On the Mitts with USA Boxing Olympian Super Heavyweight Dominic Breazeale", "Control Drills on the Mitts (Not Recommended for Amateurs anyone minus understanding)" to show that other types of mitt work are done but they were ignored im not surprised. A title like "Reactive Mitts with a student (Showing Off) " gets the attention.

"People fear what they don't understand and hate what they can't conquer. I guess that's just the theory of man."

There is a reason I don't go into depth explaining training methods, no one wants the truth. People ask question a lot of rhetorical questions.

Comment

Working...
                      X