• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrometheusBob. View Post
    OK so when I sober up I promise I'll consider reading the OP
    Tl;dr: Canelo has a nice beard.

Comment

Originally posted by P.K Dionysus View Post
      My feelings about the fight as a TRUE neutral.

This fight was akin to busting immediately after entering the cookie, at least in my opinion. Satisfying, yet still unsatisfying.

Alvarez and GGG had a competitive, and ultimately entertaining fight, but this fight was more about debunking myths than it was about establishing supremacy.

The GGG hype train, which had slowed down somewhat after the Jacobs fight screeched to virtual crawling speed. People who were talking about him breaking Hopkins' record, going down as an ATF, as a HOFer, etc, them dudes are gonna have to slow down a bit, because when he went up against opponents who were a legit level above his previous ones (i.e Jacobs and Alvarez), he was shown to NOT be head and shoulders above everybody else in the division. I'm not saying he's BAD, I'm saying he flattered to deceive against weaker opposition in the past. Still a good fighter. The myth of him being one of, if not the greatest middleweight in history seems to have lost momentum.

Alvarez. Well, again, he's a good fighter. Legitimately. He has skills. Problem is, they aren't as great as Khan, Smith, Kirkland, etc. made them appear to be. Like, if we were to use Floyd's interpretation of GGG having no "special effects", I'd say Canelo has "special effects", but if Floyd and Pac (previously), Loma and Rigo (currently) have Life of Pi's Richard Parker level special effects, in comparison Canelo has... Gods of Egypt level special effects. Like, they're pretty good. They also fade dramatically towards the end. His stamina, which was supposed to improve at this weight was still suspect, although that might change in the future.

Anyway, on to the reason why I said it the fight was akin to a quick draw nut.

The vociferous fanbases of either fighter constantly getting into threads and turning them into a constant back and forth got real old, real quick. The fight revealed that neither was as good as either fanbase touted (although I think they're still two of the best fighters and biggest names in the sport). The big issue, is that due to there being no outright winner, both fanbases are likely to continue with the back and forth until there's a definitive winner.

Personally, I was hoping for a double KO. Both dudes floor each other at the same time, and don't get up. I feel like that outcome would be the only satisfactory one for me, because we would no longer see all these damn threads filled with vitriol and ****. Might even get the haters/trolls to stop flooding us with annoying threads as well.

PS: How was the undercard?

I think we're forgetting the part about Alvarez daring to be great. If Gs a small middleweight what does that make Alvarez who was clearly the smaller man in the ring

Comment

Tl;dr: Canelo has a nice beard.
        Thanks for the Cliff's Notes version of the post

Now I don't have to waste energy sobering up

Comment

Originally posted by j0zef View Post
          Again, that's a cop-out way of looking at it. I think they're both really, really good.

Neither one of us has a way of proving each other wrong.
          I think it's a valid way of looking at it personally.

That said, that's the issue with opinions; they are subjective. That said, I respect your opinion.

Comment

GGG the best middleweight of all time? Hahahaha. I'm laughing my ass off at that notion. Ray Robinson would murder him. Even LaMotta would KO this guy

Comment

Originally posted by whoelsebutjames View Post
              I think we're forgetting the part about Alvarez daring to be great. If Gs a small middleweight what does that make Alvarez who was clearly the smaller man in the ring
              I don't know, bro.

Short and stocky doesn't necessarily mean small, imo. Canelo is broader than GGG, and their reach was the same.

GGG is also 5'10, while Canelo is 5'9.

Comment

Originally posted by BrometheusBob. View Post
                Thanks for the Cliff's Notes version of the post

Now I don't have to waste energy sobering up

Yyyeeeaaaaahhh, boi!

High on "life" again? Drunk on "life" too?

Comment

Yyyeeeaaaaahhh, boi!

High on "life" again? Drunk on "life" too?

Just Tecate this time

Not a terrible beer. Throw in a lime wedge and it's damn near bearable.

Comment

Typical Boxing scene poster. The greats from the past can lose to bums at 35 and still be great. Leonard at 35 was a mere shadow of himself. GGG at 35 is beating p4p guys 9 years his age.

Comment

Originally posted by satiev1 View Post
                      Typical Boxing scene poster. The greats from the past can lose to bums at 35 and still be great. Leonard at 35 was a mere shadow of himself. GGG at 35 is beating p4p guys 9 years his age.
                      Now now, don't you dare bring facts and logic into this forum...

Comment

Working...
                      X