No announcement yet.

All I need to know about uppercuts

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All I need to know about uppercuts

Guys I want to ask a favor from all of you. Can you please post all your knowledge and tips about the uppercut in this Thread?

Cause I recently found out that my favorite punch is the uppercut be it left or right. I dont know why But I feel good when I land good uppercuts on my opponent and make their heads bounce around.

How to setup a good uppercut?
    How can I maximize its power/speed?
    Any specific uppercut training?
    How to get inside to throw short but compact uppers?
    Is the uppercut a good punch?
    What is its main use?

Tell me everything you know please

Originally posted by andalusian81 View Post
    How to setup a good uppercut?
    -Stepping back you can pop out a left jab as you shuffle back and catch your opponent coming in.
    -if you can time their jab slip to your right and throw the right uppercut at the same time as a counter
    -jab your way in and throw an immediate uppercut once your in range after a jab kinda like a 1-2 but instead a 1-4 once your in range
    -in combination do a 1-2 usually they think a 3 is comming but instead throw a lead uppercut through the guard

How can I maximize its power/speed?
    use your torso. people tend to think if i drop my hand lower when i uppcut then it will add more power. no no. it will leave you open and telegraph like a mother fu**er. when i throw my uppercuts i slip over and i dont really drop my hand at all before i throw it. since i slip over my hand that is going to uppercut is lower then its original position so ill just roll back and throw my uppercut from my guard. the best person to see this example of a slip uppercut is tyson. he utilized his torso to generate tremendous power in his uppercuts. since i havent really trained hardcore in perfecting it i cant slip over and uppercut at the angle tyson does because ill probably throw my back out trying to do it without training for it. ive done it a few times but i know ill pull or throw something out of wack if i dont condition first for that kind of torque on my core and back and my hips.
    Any specific uppercut training?
    honestly there isnt anything specific you should train for uppercuts because you should be training your whole body. but aside from everything else, you need VERY STRONG: Legs, Back, Chest, Core to generate the twisting explosiveness and the upward force when you release that torqued tension.
    How to get inside to throw short but compact uppers?
    use the jab and head movement to get inside. cut off the ring and push your enemy to the ropes.
    Is the uppercut a good punch?
    ask mike tyson
    What is its main use?
    to hurt opponents. its a punch that can really be devastating if you understand its mechanics and throw it flawlessly. i believe and uppercut can do more damage then a straight and a hook because if it hits a small point like the jaw it has a huge amount of torque behind it because your upward thrust from your legs and the twist of your torso unlike the straight that cant utilize a larger range twist.

Tell me everything you know please[/QUOTE]

i dont want to be here all night. thats enough. go watch some vids, ask your trainers and use google or get your head in a book. good luck.

Comment

Wow that was really helpful

Comment

I like throwing mine like at 5:45. I like it compact and silent and not noticeable when coming in.

Comment

also practice them on the rounded maize bags, they really help in improving uppercuts.

Comment

@Richie-G

how do they help in improving uppercuts? and what aspect does it improve? Power speed accuracy? Thanks.

Comment

timing like in sparring and must be done quick, like when some throw hook u guard + uppercut.

Comment

@Richie-G

how do they help in improving uppercuts? and what aspect does it improve? Power speed accuracy? Thanks.
                well basically instead of practicing them on thin air which is unrealistic, it gives you a target and gets you used to hitting something, improving balance, co-ordination and power, I suppose.

Comment

ok thanks. More tips please

Comment

Very effective in close on the inside, but I prefer to throw them on the outside, especially as someone already mentioned after a 1-2. You see a lot of mexican fighters throw it like Barrera Marquez and Margacheato especially. One of my favourite combos that I've been working on lately 1-2 left uppercut left hook straight right, all to the head. Also like 1-2 head, left hook to body, left uppercut to the head, straight right to head.

You have to be careful throwing them from the outside because they do leave you open, which is why you need to not drop your hand too low, and throw it behind other punches.

Very effective punch because you're most likely going to hit your opponent on the chin or the face where they aren't protected by headgear.
                    Last edited by RightHooker; 06-21-2009, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X