No announcement yet.

The Bernard Hopkins appreciation thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
    Bhop has become a beloved boxing figure over the last decade or so but I agree, there was a time when he was left out in the cold a bit.

Personally, I never liked watching him at middleweight, too ugly, too scrappy, not clean or fluid but at one stage, you just have to stand back and admire what he did. At the age of 40+, he became the top light heavyweight on two separate occasions and beat the most relevant names of his time, apart from Dawson and later Kovalev but apart from the latter, his loss to Dawson was close and uneventful.

At a time when you don't get fighters in their 20s fighting other champs, Bhop unified and held 2 of the 4 major light heavyweight belts..at 49.

Just a remarkable career and if you learn about his life, prison, boxing, Islam, discipline, family...he is a genuine American dream. Not the Tysons or Mayweathers of this world but Bhop. He is what young black men in America should look up to.
    Just a superb legend, based on the longevity alone. The Alien is here to prove the impossible possible.

Definitely hardest fight of Joe Calzaghe's career at 44 years old. Losing his first pro fight too. 3 times to become world champion. The masses didn't enjoy his technique, but the technique is impregnable.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdramashow View Post
      well it sounds like he is from whats come from his mouth. Imagine if someone said ' i wont let a black man beat me' bet that comment wouldnt have gone down too well. Not only is he racist but he makes my eyes hurt by watching him, and hes not participating in vada, so i wont be watching him tonight, but hopefully he gets knocked out cold. Not much to like about him.
      That was said tounge in cheek
      I'm white
      I didn't find it offensive
      Ali said worse
      Cmon I know ur from the u.k I know you ain't a stuck up dude
      Dopey....maybe

Comment

Originally posted by Scary View Post
        Just a superb legend, based on the longevity alone. The Alien is here to prove the impossible possible.

Definitely hardest fight of Joe Calzaghe's career at 44 years old. Losing his first pro fight too. 3 times to become world champion. The masses didn't enjoy his technique, but the technique is impregnable.
        Calzs fight with kessler was probably tougher. I feel anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
          Calzs fight with kessler was probably tougher. I feel anyway.
          Nah
          Hopkins was closer
          Had the kd

Comment

yeah im not stuck up but it came across as racist. And thats not only reason i dont like him, find him unwatchable.

Comment

I will literally be paying my respects tonight as I will be at the Forum. Its not everyday a legend makes his last stand in your backyard.

Comment

The way he beat Tito was one of the greatest performances in championship fight history. However, Too many boring fights too much clutching grabbing and whining. People ignore that he's the biggest whiner while in the ring and the dirtiest in the game.
                Biggest disappointment "I'm not losing to no white boy". How racist could one be and get away with it? If an Italian said that about a black man he would be banned. Could you imagine if Boom Boom Mancini said that about Bramble around the time of the Jimmy The Greek Scandal in the 80's ?

Comment

Originally posted by bigdramashow View Post
                  yeah im not stuck up but it came across as racist. And thats not only reason i dont like him, find him unwatchable.
                  Well what if I said I will never be mugged by a black boy
                  Is that racist?

Comment

Originally posted by chirorickyp View Post
                    The way he beat Tito was one of the greatest performances in championship fight history. However, Too many boring fights too much clutching grabbing and whining. People ignore that he's the biggest whiner while in the ring and the dirtiest in the game.
                    Biggest disappointment "I'm not losing to no white boy". How racist could one be and get away with it? If an Italian said that about a black man he would be banned. Could you imagine if Boom Boom Mancini said that about Bramble around the time of the Jimmy The Greek Scandal in the 80's ?
                    "How racist could one be".....??????

Get out my thread poshboy

Comment

Originally posted by Mc,Lovin View Post
                      Nah
                      Hopkins was closer
                      Had the kd
                      Closer fight doesnt make it tougher. It wasnt physically taxing with both guys spending more time posing than fighting.

calz v Kessler and Bika were physical, hard, real grit fights.

Comment

Working...
                      X