My First Day in a boxing gym

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First Day in a boxing gym

Well someone told I'd get better responses here so I re posted this.-

So I suppose you could say im a beginner boxer, and I took my first step today by signing up at a gym that appealed to me. I didn't know what to expect my first day and I was apprehensive; it honestly is a little intimidating knowing there are pros in there with so much more experience. I know just about nothing about boxing but im willing to learn anything as I want to compete as an amateur someday.

I'm in good shape, wrestled for four years and ran XC for five. I cant run far anymore, no more than 3 miles, as I injured myself during a marathon 3 months ago. I suppose this on top of watching Mike Tyson's fights is what inspired me.

It wasn't like I expected, after I signed up during my whole 3 hour workout nobody said anything to me and I suppose I should take the initiative? I just didn't know what to do, I want to learn to box and I was hoping someone would take me to the side and teach me some basics to work on but the whole group felt unapproachable. I would feel stupid just hammering away at the heavy bag alone incorrectly so I didn't even put on gloves today. What should I do? I intend to keep showing up every morning at opening and working hard as when I decide to do something I do it 100%; should I just consult the trainers and not feel so awkward about it?

Definitely man, I imagine you're paying good money to go to that gym and the trainers more than likely know damn well that you're new and need direction. They owe it to you to show what's going on because you pay their wages, so do it up.

Comment

I'm about to walk into my first boxing gym in a few days and you have just described my worst nightmare haha.

I really don't know what to expect but I would at least hope for some initial direction/tuition.

Comment

I'd like to see some more people weigh in on this, because I think a lot of what keeps people from joining boxing Gyms is that fear of getting there and not doing anything because they just "don't know what to do"

As I see it, you walk in, put on gloves, work the speed bag, some old dude will tell you you're doing it wrong and you should give it up, that you're too old and a nobody. Eventually you'll convince him to train you. You'll go undefeated in several fights in a row. Not easily though, you'll have to pull off miracle KO upsets for the first few of those fights (often inspired by visualizing you're fighting with your Dad or in some POW camp)
        Then montage of you knocking out several people from the sport. Then the tricky part, here you will either fight for a title and have something tragic occur that motivates you to win, or you will win the title and have something tragic happen that ends your career, or you will have something tragic happen during the actual title fight.
        Plus theres a good possibility in between one of these fights your trainer will die of a heart attack.

OR????

You could just ask the staff, "Hey I'm new here, what's the procedure to avoid looking like a tool while I'm here"

Other fighters are going to know right off the bat that you're new to the gym and probably to the sport, but they've seen it a million times. So take your hazing like a man and get in there and work.

Comment

Make sure the club you go to doesnt just concentrate on the pros, depending on the size of the club there should be at least two trainers and one should be spending time with the novices like you. All clubs are different, ive always found that as long as your putting in the work theres also time to have a laugh, it eases the tension and helps bonding. It will always take the new kid a couple of weeks to become 'accepted' but there will always be boxers who take themselves too seriously and not want to give you the time of day. Use these guys as motivation to get better so one day you can bash them up in sparring!!

Comment

Good to know that about My First Day in a boxing gym,
            thanks for sharing this information with us....

Comment

It's expensive, but get some one-on-one training. You need to develop correct form or you may just be teaching yourself bad habits. Proper form involves more things than you'd ever imagine. One week with a good trainer will teach you more than you'd learn in a year of watching videos and training by yourself.

Comment

it really is daunting the first time you walk into a boxing gym, and i think the reason the people in your gym aren't acknowledging you is because there are so many guys just like you that come in for a few days get intimidated and don't come back. My advice to you is to keep showing up everyday, don't be afraid to make a fool of yourself on the heavybag, because they will notice your mistakes and soon enough - if you keep showing up - they will begin to point out your mistakes and mix with you.
                Dont come across as arrogant, just be a genuine nice person and you will fit in nicely

Comment

Hey where are you training out of? just my own curiosity.

But yes go out and take the initiative, the world is a daunting and very intimidating place, but you got to go for broke if you want to make it big

Comment

Originally posted by glcv View Post
                    Well someone told I'd get better responses here so I re posted this.-

So I suppose you could say im a beginner boxer, and I took my first step today by signing up at a gym that appealed to me. I didn't know what to expect my first day and I was apprehensive; it honestly is a little intimidating knowing there are pros in there with so much more experience. I know just about nothing about boxing but im willing to learn anything as I want to compete as an amateur someday.

I'm in good shape, wrestled for four years and ran XC for five. I cant run far anymore, no more than 3 miles, as I injured myself during a marathon 3 months ago. I suppose this on top of watching Mike Tyson's fights is what inspired me.

It wasn't like I expected, after I signed up during my whole 3 hour workout nobody said anything to me and I suppose I should take the initiative? I just didn't know what to do, I want to learn to box and I was hoping someone would take me to the side and teach me some basics to work on but the whole group felt unapproachable. I would feel stupid just hammering away at the heavy bag alone incorrectly so I didn't even put on gloves today. What should I do? I intend to keep showing up every morning at opening and working hard as when I decide to do something I do it 100%; should I just consult the trainers and not feel so awkward about it?
                    You had enough balls to step into a gym , thats already a good start. If you're not sure what do to you can always try to ask questions to the coaches or management for information. Another thing :CONSISTENCY . If you're really serious about boxing , try to go there as much as possible , because the more you go ,the more people will start noticing therefore will be more than willing to help out.

Comment

Working...
                    X