Robinson vs Turpin I - Scoring.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robinson vs Turpin I - Scoring.

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Last edited by CTE90; 04-03-2020, 01:08 PM.

Back then the ref scored most bouts and Robinson took his Euro "vacation" not as serious as he should have. He fought 6 or 7 times in the time he was there ( I think 8 weeks) , played golf (his passion) and loved to dance in the clubs and gamble (cards). No excuse its what he did, he had the return clause and tko'd Turpin a few months later.
    Turpin was a middleweight his entire career and had 2 losses going into the title fight, he did well enough to earn the refs opinion.
    Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
      Back then the ref scored most bouts and Robinson took his Euro "vacation" not as serious as he should have. He fought 6 or 7 times in the time he was there ( I think 8 weeks) , played golf (his passion) and loved to dance in the clubs and gamble (cards). No excuse its what he did, he had the return clause and tko'd Turpin a few months later.
      Turpin was a middleweight his entire career and had 2 losses going into the title fight, he did well enough to earn the refs opinion.
      Ray
      You are correct in part Ray.. However Turpin went on to fight at Lightheavyweight. He became British & Commonwealth Champion at 175lbs..

Going into the Robinson rematch, Turpin was arrested for Rape`in the USA, only days before fight night. The charges leveled against him, never stuck, but they messed up Turpin and his focus on the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Mastrangelo View Post
        My scorecard:
        Round 1: Turpin*
        Round 2: Robinson*
        Round 3: Turpin*
        Round 4: Robinson*
        Round 5: Turpin
        Round 6: Robinson*
        Round 7: Robinson*
        Round 8: Turpin*
        Round 9: Robinson
        Round 10: Robinson*
        Round 11: Turpin
        Round 12: Robinson
        Round 13: Robinson*
        Round 14: Turpin
        Round 15: Turpin
        Final Score: 8:7 Robinson
        * - Close rounds

Thoughts?
        I just watched it with distractions and scored it 6-4-5 for Turpin.

If I get another chance I'll watch when alone and without the dreadful description of action - that should hopefully help me split those close rounds.

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
        Going into the Robinson rematch, Turpin was arrested for Rape`in the USA, only days before fight night. The charges leveled against him, never stuck, but they messed up Turpin and his focus on the fight.
        Never came across this information before, do you have more details?

Comment

The fight wasn't remotley close...competitive yes ...close....no way. it was so lopsided really the only round one can score for SRR was round 8 and it was close...the others he was pounded out pointed and manhandled.

Lets take a look at some of the announcer comments as well......

1st round...Ray staggered beautiful right hand left hook by turpin
          Others there after by round 7....

"Ray nose is busted looks confused rnd 4" Right hand terrific dmage rnd 5" "SRR taking tremendous beating" "bleeding eye/nose/swelling..eating jabs rnd 6" "Robing punches look feeble next to Turpins smashes" SRR is a good markman now hes the catcher" SRR looks more weary going to his corner 7th rnd" Punishing right,handling ray like a rag doll" "turpins the boss" " Ray taking quite a plastering" Terrific batteraing from turpin" "Sometimes a face tells the story rnd 8" "looks like turpin spending nice summer nite on porch" He seems to know every move SRR makes rnd 12" " turpin really battering his man now rnd 13" "Taking bad battering but galient heart keeps ray going rnd 13" staggered rubber legs hes backing up" Look how strong Turpin looks in the clinches" Turpin putting on beautiful boxing exhibition rnd 14" Ray hurt staggers back to corner rnd 14" Rays face bleeding head groggy rnd 15" you can see rays back jarring from turpins power"

Alls I heard was Ray getting battering and out scored so I may have lost track in some rounds...one does not need sound anyway...SRR was dominated soundly here any one with vision can that.

The reality is only the 9 and 10 rounds were close enough to give it to Ray and I still gave them to Turpin...ALL thoroughout the fight SRR was getting battered,no score card will change that...I don't have to put up a scorecard because in real life SRR really only won a round in this fight and that was round 8.....anyone who thinks this is really close fight or gave SRR more than 3 rounds is ........

Ray himself commented that he was almost out in round 14. This was to someone who never fought past 8 rounds too.

"Ray didn't have all but two big shots to turpins head through out the fight" Announcer

The Associated Press scored the fight 9-4-2 for Turpin. This is reasonable but looking back on the fight NOW,one should see it was lopside win in turpins favor morso now...what some ppl watch sometimes is puzzling?
          Last edited by juggernaut666; 11-20-2015, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by juggernaut666 View Post
            The fight wasn't remotley close...competitive yes ...close....no way. it was so lopsided really the only round one can score for SRR was round 8 and it was close...the others he was pounded out pointed and manhandled.
            You scored it 14-1 Turpin?

Lets take a look at some of the announcer comments as well......

Alls I heard was Ray getting battering and out scored so I may have lost track in some rounds...one does not need sound anyway...SRR was dominated soundly here any one with vision can that.
            Did the commentary prompt your scoring?

The reality is only the 9 and 10 rounds were close enough to give it to Ray and I still gave them to Turpin...ALL thoroughout the fight SRR was getting battered,no score card will change that...I don't have to put up a scorecard because in real life SRR really only won a round in this fight and that was round 8.....anyone who thinks this is really close fight or gave SRR more than 3 rounds is ........
            You have a truly unique way of looking at boxing.

Ray himself commented that he was almost out in round 14. This was to someone who never fought past 8 rounds too.
            Haven't heard this before, be grateful if you had a link or could remember source.

Comment

Originally posted by joeandthebums View Post
              You scored it 14-1 Turpin?

Did the commentary prompt your scoring?

You have a truly unique way of looking at boxing.

Haven't heard this before, be grateful if you had a link or could remember source.
              Not even the associated press thought Ray won more than 4 rounds,they were watching it live they didn't go back and have vid footage like we do and the rounds would look a bit closer to the naked eye,but its clearly a one sided event much like Mayweather and Pacman were....I watch fights with/without sound...I think 4 rounds is reasonable...THEN...anyone who watches this again im sure will have him winning less NOW. The dubbed announcer stated the SRR comment in rnd 14.

Personall yes I had SRR winning round 8 ...that's it...only about 4 rounds were calls you can arguably give to SRR..i didn't I thought he lost them too.

Comment

Robinson stated that Randy was the better that night, that's good enough for me! Remember going to Europe to fight 8 times in 8 weeks is done by TBE.
                He fell short of performing strongly but in those days fanboys weren't on forums hahahaha and protecting an "0" had nothing to do with being ATG!!
                The European boxing fans were treated great by Robinson and he packed every where he went. Boxing venues, night clubs and only Joe Louis was as popular then.

I don't remember the rounds and in fact never "score" a fight I can tell whose
                winning watching body language.

I'd guess the Press scores were close and theres rarely "even" rounds without double knock downs. If you know what your watching theres almost always a round winner. My guess would be 9-6 for Randy.

Turpin lost it 2 months latter as Robinson closed the show with a badley cut eye he suffered in the first bout.
                Ray

Comment

If I remember correctly I had it 9-6 Turpin. The fight was a little like the Kell Brook Shawn Porter fight except that in this case the 'brawler' edged it rather than the boxer. Like Porter Turpin had a great ability to quickly leap in and bully his opponent. The fight was not easy on the eyes.
                  Last edited by Humean; 11-30-2015, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Just rewatched up to round 4. Gave Robinson the third but i can't score fights for my life. Turpin is good in the clinches, making sure Robinson gets mauled about...Robinson neutralizing a lot of Turpin's work there, but not all.

Robinson's timing was off because of Turpin's "Jump " in, but Turpin isn't landing all of those.

Comment

Working...
                    X