Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When losing weight can you retain power?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When losing weight can you retain power?

I've been thinking about this: When you're let's say a heavyweight and you have decent power, what happens when you lose a lot of weight and become a welterweight or lighter? I know that when someone with big power in the lighter divisions go up in weight it doesn't necessarily mean they retain that power, what happens if it's the other way around?

When you are a heavy handed heavyweight but you're mostly fat, will you still be heavy handed if you shed all the fat?

You can retain your power, maybe actually become stronger and faster. But, there is a science to it and you have to be careful not to drain yourself (fluid wise)

Comment

Originally posted by johnmartinez51 View Post
      You can retain your power, maybe actually become stronger and faster. But, there is a science to it and you have to be careful not to drain yourself (fluid wise)
      Exactly. A lot of guys screw it up , in any weight class, and lose power in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by Monchy88 View Post
        I've been thinking about this: When you're let's say a heavyweight and you have decent power, what happens when you lose a lot of weight and become a welterweight or lighter? I know that when someone with big power in the lighter divisions go up in weight it doesn't necessarily mean they retain that power, what happens if it's the other way around?

When you are a heavy handed heavyweight but you're mostly fat, will you still be heavy handed if you shed all the fat?
        If you're coming down from heavyweight to welterweight then chances are you are massively overweight. Fat. And I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that your not that very experienced in boxing or in any type of shape. I'm not saying this to shame you, I'm saying this to let you know that you probably haven't even developed real power yet.

Power isn't everything. It's definitely awesome but speed is much more useful. Everyone tends to have power, it's rather over exaggerated that some fighters are completely featherfisted and their punches don't even hurt. A punch is a punch and anyone can be knocked out. That being said it is possible to lose power if you lose to much weight to the point where you don't feel good. Where you feel weak and sluggish. That happened to me when I trained down to 130 a while ago.

Get into the best possible condition and whatever weight you're at should be your fighting weight.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.MojoRisin' View Post
          If you're coming down from heavyweight to welterweight then chances are you are massively overweight. Fat.
          From heavyweight to welterweight is like Mama June weight loss method

Comment

A majority of your punching power comes from your tendons and ligaments. Strengthen them by doing isometric exercises using your own bodyweight. Pull-ups, dips, push-ups, etc. If you are using weights, be sure and put as much emphasis on the negative repetition (bringing the weight down in a controlled manner) as you would lifting it up. The negative rep is what strengthens the tendons and you want to a 4-count on the way down and control the weight. Get a good stretch on the muscle and work it through it's full range of motion.

Comment

power-to-weight ratio will be highest when you are at the lowest possible weight. this is one reason why moving UP in weight class is difficult, because the power-to-weight ratio doesn't tend to carry, i.e. you become relatively less powerful

losing a certain amount of power when losing weight is normal, but if losing weight causes you to lose out on your power-to-weight ratio (one way to find out your relative power is by sparring similar-sized people), you either:
              a) have lost too much weight overall (i.e. you are drained and fighting at a less-than-healthy weight class)
              b) are losing weight too quickly (i.e. you are not cutting weight properly. aim for 1lb a week to begin with)
              c) have poor technique (e.g. what you thought was 'power' at a higher weight class was actually just the result of bodyweight-shifting, and not in the correct way)

...so to answer OP's question, it depends

Comment

Of course your going to lose power, boxing power based on kinetic energy, muscle, leverage.

The more weight you have the more kinetic energy you can generate.

Comment

Originally posted by AddiX View Post
                  Of course your going to lose power, boxing power based on kinetic energy, muscle, leverage.

The more weight you have the more kinetic energy you can generate.
                  Depends on the weight in some cases. Some people feel stronger when they lose weight, as long as its not muscle weight

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
                    Depends on the weight in some cases. Some people feel stronger when they lose weight, as long as its not muscle weight
                    You might feel stronger because your lighter since your carrying weight, therefore your body doesn't have to work as hard to move.

But your punching power won't be stronger.

Comment

Working...
                    X