No announcement yet.

Premature Price stoppage!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
    Do I remember Price saying something about not even bothering to go on with boxing if he lost this fight? Was that just my imagination or did he talk about this being a fight that would test him, and if he did lose that there would be no point in going on?
    Thompson said he wouldn't fight again if he lost.

Comment

My brother's comment was "he looks like Trevor Berbeck when Tyson hit him !!! " ...Priceless and I am a big David Price fan. I think he can be a very good HW, even champ,but this pawing ****acki has to go.Throw the jab and use your reach David. He has to learn to jab. All the great HW fighters with decent/average chins could jab.Holmes,Lewis, and Vlad come to mind.

Comment

I don't think Thompson was close to beating him to death but that is just me, however there was no way Price was making it out of that round, so while the ref could have let it go for a bit longer it was completely fair as the fight was essentially over anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by marvelousmatt View Post
          My brother's comment was "he looks like Trevor Berbeck when Tyson hit him !!! " ...Priceless and I am a big David Price fan. I think he can be a very good HW, even champ,but this pawing ****acki has to go.Throw the jab and use your reach David. He has to learn to jab. All the great HW fighters with decent/average chins could jab.Holmes,Lewis, and Vlad come to mind.
          he can be an ok heavyweight if he learns that, he'll never be a champ with that chin, it's disgracefully bad, like 10X worse than Wlad

He might have the worst current chin in boxing

Comment

Nah, it was a good stoppage, his legs were completely gone.

Now I agree that he should've stayed down until the 7 or 8 count, and then get up and maybe move around a little bit before getting his gloves up ... He got knocked down, got up pretty quickly and that way it's almost impossible to recover balance.

Comment

I haven't seen the entire fight, but I think fighters should be given more chances to continue than what we get many times. These guys know what they're in for, unfortunately people are sometimes overly safety conscious. Jmo.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                I haven't seen the entire fight, but I think fighters should be given more chances to continue than what we get many times. These guys know what they're in for, unfortunately people are sometimes overly safety conscious. Jmo.
                I agree that fighters should be given that chance. The ref wasn't completely wrong for stopping it but referees should count eight and then determine if the fighter is capable. The Referee here gave up before he reached eight.

However I bet if it were Thompson that was knocked down there would have been a good chance the fight would have been stopped even sooner.

Comment

It was a good call by the referee, some of you guys would get a fighter killed. He was in the ring with another heavyweight, I don't think individuals realise how hard they hit, you often don't see how devastating their power is because their opponent is prepared for the punch, he ( Price) was out of it, any punch that landed would go right through him.

Comment

I like Price but his baby giraffe act was priceless lol.

He'll be alright IMO. Wladimir's chin is notoriously shaky and look what that man has accomplished.. okay he had Steward but still.

One difference between Wladimir and this Price KO is that Wladimir usually always got back up and fought back before being stopped. Price was, as I said, doing a baby giraffe act.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
                      Whaddya think then? Was it a bit premature? Should the ref have given Price the opportunity to try and get past it?

His mental faculties were all there and he was obviously reasonably clear headed, it wasn't really that type of KO, but, his legs were still very wobbly and he was unsteady. Did the ref do him a disservice by stopping it that quick, or would Price's legs have just given up the ghost and would he have been knocked down again or out?

I tell ya what though....I think, more than anything, even more than Price's ****e chin, it was his lack of real experience leading up to that fight that lost it for him. He needed some hard rounds and a couple of longer fights against some still young guys, but who were still probably not skilled enough to really hurt or beat him.

He got dropped, and while it was a good shot and he was clearly hurt, it was a a shot that didn't put him out mentally. It was more of a temple shot with throws out your equilibrium, which can often be regained pretty quick, especially if you're young and have some good recuperative powers. Unfortunately, we'll never know.

It was really just his legs and body that spazzed out, and he regained them reasonably quick after getting back up. If he had just stayed down and taken the full 8 or 9 count, instead of jumping back up while his brain was still sending spazzoid signals to his legs, it's very possible he might have gotten through the rest of the round or at least given himself a second chance to get back into it. As it was, he jumped up so quick that his legs were still doing a bit of a Zab and the ref stopped it because of it.

If he'd had the presence of mind and the experience he could have chilled out for a near 10 count and regained much of his legs. At the very least, the ref wouldn't have stopped it and it's remotely possible that he could have gotten back into it.

He might also have jumped up just to get KTFO again.
                      And IF he hadn't been splatted by a cuffing slap then all the above would be irrelevant. Know what your saying, way too many ifs buts and maybes in there though. I'm pretty sure that I, at my current weight of 80kg, wouldn't have been too badly hurt by that. Price ceased to function in anyway shape or form.
                      His career could well have taken a very very serious dent had he then took a couple of actual flush shots without being able to defend himself and his already pitiful punch resistance weakened further still
                      Good stoppage. Only decision that could be made. Price knew it.

Comment

Working...
                      X