• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rip Chudd View Post
    Kirkland too entertaining to miss? for 60 bucks i'll miss it
    bruhh

Comment

Originally posted by kiaba360 View Post
      Eff, I think you're underestimating the Jan. 28th HBO card. Yes, the SHO card has the more significant match-ups, but Vargas and Miura are hardly "A-side" material and their opponents aren't that bad.
      I use A side, B side definitions for all levels of fights & clearly both of those guys are A sides vs those opponents. And I'm not saying the opponents are bad I'm saying both Vargas & Miura are going to win, probably without much if any drama, & that I'd rather they just fight each other now as I believe that Jan. 28 card holds no value (outside of a check) to either fighter to build up their rematch or to fans.

I mean it almost seems like a ******ed strategy. Those two were in one of the best fights of the year & instead of rematching them they are throwing us this into this nonsensical situation that holds little immediate appeal & is virtually all risk with little competition or upside. I mean you risk the value of the rematch if either guy gets upset & its not like this card is going to turn their rematch into a bigger fight in the summer or something cuz the people who are gonna watch it if it happened on Jan. 28 are gonna watch it in the summer or whatever too. And its not a PPV quality thing (or is it in 2017 with HBO's aggressive PPV schedule?) so I just don't get not having them fight each other now. This card seems like its a keep busy card.

And I wasn't really even measuring it against the Frampton vs Santa Cruz II card, although I do believe that to be a much superior card. And randomly it'd have been a overall great night of fights & good counterprogramming if HBO had made Vargas vs Miura II on the same night as Frampton vs Santa Cruz II.

Brother I ain't paid for a PPV in years. F#ck that bs. Until boxing at large gives me a more quality overall UFC-like card & viewing experience &/or makes the price more reasonable I support the watching of these PPV's via alternate methods & plan to do just that myself.

Comment

Originally posted by firstborn View Post
        Yep, also hoping boxing fans tune in for these fights to support the sport...
        This right here. We got a lot of "fans" on NSB that complain they get only garbage but then when they get good cards on they don't watch. Maybe in 201 they will act like real fans instead of casuals.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post

Jan. 14, Brooklyn, NY, Showtime

James DeGale (23-1) vs Badou Jack (20-1-2) - for the #1 spot at 168 title
          Jose Pedraza (22-0) vs Gervonta Davis (16-0) - too much too soon for Davis?
          Ievgen Khytrov (14-0) vs Immanuwel Aleem (16-0-1) - decent prospect fight

Jan. 28, Las Vegas, NV, Showtime

Carl Frampton (23-0) vs Leo Santa Cruz (32-1-1) - rematch of an entertaining & competitive fight last year
          Dejan Zlaticanin (22-0) vs Mikey Garcia (35-0) - great test for Mikey

Feb. 2, Tunica, MS, Fox Sports 1

Sammy Vasquez (21-1) vs Luis Collazo (36-7) - great fight to see where Sammy is at
          Ryan Karl (13-0) vs Eddie Ramirez (15-0) - decent prospect fight

Feb. 11, TBA, Showtime

Adrien Broner (32-2) vs Adrian Granados (18-4-2) - fun fight
          Gary Russell Jr (27-1) vs Oscar Escandon (25-2) - solid matchup
          Jermell Charlo (28-0) vs Charles Hatley (26-1-1) - solid matchup

Feb. 25, Frisco, TX, HBO PPV

Miguel Cotto (40-5) vs James Kirkland (32-2) - kinda bs fight, but Kirkland is still too entertaining to miss
          Guillermo Rigondeaux (17-0) vs Moises Flores (25-0) - biggest challenge for Rigo in awhile

Mar. 4, NY, Showtime

Keith Thurman (27-0) vs Danny Garcia (33-0) - fun fight
          Erickson Lubin (17-0) vs Jorge Cota (25-1) - great test for Lubin

Mar. 18, New York, NY, HBO PPV

Gennady Golovkin (36-0) vs Daniel Jacobs (32-1) - fun fight
          Zlaticanin Garcia fight should be a good one.

Thoroughly looking forward to the two January main events as well as the Khytrov fight.

Thurman vs Garcia trumps them all though this one I've been wanting to see for a long while now, hopefully no bs delays.

GGG fighting the no.2 in his division should be exciting but you just know he's light years ahead of anyone else in the division and the sooner he moves up to challenge himself it will benefit every true boxing fan who appreciates competitive fights, DeGale v Jack winner vs GGG would make for a tremendous showdown.

Comment

Originally posted by boxcityusa805 View Post
            The bronzer fight is feb 18th

You left out 3 fights on Jan 28th. Showtime triple header includes lee Selby. HBO double header. Vargas main event, Miura co-main, they both win, rematch of a fight of the year.
            Also with the HBO ppv in feb and March, highly likely that HBO puts on something good a week after the cotto fight and a week after ggg fight(salido vs Loma is rumored)
            u forgot the Vargas-Berchelt fight. El Alacran is a really good young fighter who has a good chance to beat Bandido. That is a possible fight of the year. The cofeature I think Miura runs through Roman but that is a very good main event

Comment

Agreed. That fight should be on BAD, not PPV. I will probably go to my ex girl's brothers crib to watch as they are PR and huge Cotto fans.

Comment

I'm having less and less confidence in Thurman over Garcia. Ever since Keith came back from his shoulder injury he hasn't lived up to what a lot of us though he'd become. Maybe it's just b/c he's struggled in stepping up the competition?

If Danny can handle his power, I could see him putting Keith into all sorts of trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                  I use A side, B side definitions for all levels of fights & clearly both of those guys are A sides vs those opponents. And I'm not saying the opponents are bad I'm saying both Vargas & Miura are going to win, probably without much if any drama, & that I'd rather they just fight each other now as I believe that Jan. 28 card holds no value (outside of a check) to either fighter to build up their rematch or to fans.

I mean it almost seems like a ******ed strategy. Those two were in one of the best fights of the year & instead of rematching them they are throwing us this into this nonsensical situation that holds little immediate appeal & is virtually all risk with little competition or upside. I mean you risk the value of the rematch if either guy gets upset & its not like this card is going to turn their rematch into a bigger fight in the summer or something cuz the people who are gonna watch it if it happened on Jan. 28 are gonna watch it in the summer or whatever too. And its not a PPV quality thing (or is it in 2017 with HBO's aggressive PPV schedule?) so I just don't get not having them fight each other now. This card seems like its a keep busy card.

And I wasn't really even measuring it against the Frampton vs Santa Cruz II card, although I do believe that to be a much superior card. And randomly it'd have been a overall great night of fights & good counterprogramming if HBO had made Vargas vs Miura II on the same night as Frampton vs Santa Cruz II.
                  I guess it depends on how valuable you perceive Vargas/Miura 2 to be; do you think the rematch would be a main event? I think the HBO card is decent, and I would definitely watch it if SHO didn't have a card. Maybe HBO is trying to gauge how well they can compete against SHO when SHO clearly has the superior card.
                  Last edited by kiaba360; 12-27-2016, 11:28 AM.

Comment

After a poor 16, 17 is looking mighty fine. I'm pumped.

Comment

2017 shaping up

underrated fight is that cowboy Karl fight should be entertaining.

Comment

Working...
                      X