Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did George Foreman's 90s self have any advantages over his 70s version?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did George Foreman's 90s self have any advantages over his 70s version?

Did the George Foreman who came back in the late 80s and regained the HW title in the 90s have any edges over his younger incarnation?

Be it in strength or skill or was he just a diminished version of his former self who was still pretty good?

He had better ring IQ and because if it, he wouldn’t gas out like he did when he was younger and in better shape.

Comment

Originally posted by MartialMind View Post
      Did the George Foreman who came back in the late 80s and regained the HW title in the 90s have any edges over his younger incarnation?

Be it in strength or skill or was he just a diminished version of his former self who was still pretty good?

Better pacing and dare I say even better punch resistance!

Comment

He was definitely craftier in his old age. He rolled with punches well and his punch placement was pretty impressive.

Comment

More self-confidence and self-control.

He didn't wade in with an open guard, welcoming fast jabs to his face and over-hand rights.

If he were a little smarted, Gil Clancy's lessons would've taken hold in the 70's, and we might be talking about George Foreman the GOAT.

Comment

For what it's worth, Foreman post-Ali probably would have lost to a Billy Conn. He lost to the very under-rated Jimmy Young. While Young is a lot bigger than Conn, it wasn't size that won him that night. Conn would have done even better.

But I can't see a Billy Conn lasting even has long as Moorer did against the second incarnation of Foreman.

Comment

I'd say he declined in every category, but I think that extra weight gave him better punch resistance. I mean, it's hard to say, cause he did the same thing in the 70s, he kinda walked through everyone's punches, even the big hitters. But in the 90s he got hit a lot more so I guess we got a better show of his punch resistance. I think he faced bigger hitters in the 70s though. Lyle and Frazier come to mind. Those guys put everything on a punch.

The whole calm and relaxed George came about after Ali beat him, not the 90s. He was fighting a paced fight and never got his killer instinct back ever since Ali. In the last few bouts before his first retirement he looked so bad. When he came back the only thing he brought back was his heart.
              Last edited by them_apples; 12-14-2019, 01:19 AM.

Comment

Wisdom and endurance.

Comment

The sixth sense kicked in.

Comment

His fight IQ for sure.

The way he set up Michael Moorer for the right hand was pretty clever.

Comment

Working...
                    X