Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does a win over Salido mean for Lomachenko at this point in time?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Useless fight for Lomachenko smart fight for HBO/Top Rank to try & "Hype" him up & make 'em look GAWD like by playing up this fight as a "Look how much greater he has got since..." type chit.

Let it go man... move on

Comment

A win over Salido at this point does absolutely nothing for Lomachenko. Not after he ducked his father and waited for him to get old before calling for a rematch.

Comment

I've had this debate before with a couple of people. I say nothing.

Comment

It means nothing except Loma fans won't get trolled by Mexicans as much lol

Comment

Floyd beat Castillo, people complained, he rematched him and beat him again. I say that to say even if Loma punked and beat on Salido people will still bring up that loss for the rest of his career.

Comment

Originally posted by Aztekkas View Post
              It won't clear the blemish on his record and I doubt his detractors would give him credit.

Especially since Salido hasn't won a fight in some time, has been in wars since and is pretty damn old.

Lomachenko has learned alot from the loss and many claim that the defeat came due to a size difference and Salido's rough house tactics. However, Lomachenko has fought the likes of Nicholas Walters since the blemish. A big physical fighter with more technical talent than Orlando, and made him submit rather easily.

Difficult situation for Lomachenko. If he hunts down a rematch and beats Salido, well, he just beat a worn torn, washed up fighter who already has over a dozen losses on his record.

If he were to never rematch him then he will forever hold an L to Siri and his detractors will continue to call him SOS(Son of Salido). Plus, that's a loss to a guy whom holds more losses than Lomachenko has fights in his career.

Would a win over Orlando at this stage be a personal victory for Lomachenko and nothing else? Would a win hold any significance at this point in the sport and or weight division?
              In the short term. Probably not a whole lot. But in the big picture, when discussing legacies years down the road, its big. That is always a hot topic when discussing fighters of the past, L's mean almost nothing if you avenged the loss. I brought this up in another thread where this was discussed. Would Ray Robinson be held in as high regard as he is if he did'nt avenge his losses to Lamotta, Turpin and Fulmer. I would say no. Boxing history is littered with greats who avenged L's. Its part of their greatness. 30-40 years down the line no one will give a **** if Salido was past it when Loma avenged the L, assuming he does.

Comment

Originally posted by redmish View Post
                This. I think he should do it for his own peace of mind and then move on.
                I agree. This is a personal fight primarily.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurgutt View Post
                  Salido is the second guy who Loma lost to.
                  His first loss was to Saliev which he later erased by two wins.
                  If he does this again with Salido he might be regarded undefeated, kind of.
                  I wouldn't think of him as undefeated but it would be a situation similar to Lennox Lewis, I remember them saying "he beat everyone he ever fought" since he avenged his two losses.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost Rider View Post
                    A win over Salido at this point does absolutely nothing for Lomachenko. Not after he ducked his father and waited for him to get old before calling for a rematch.
                    Point taken, Ghost.

Originally posted by SkillspayBills View Post
                    Floyd beat Castillo, people complained, he rematched him and beat him again. I say that to say even if Loma punked and beat on Salido people will still bring up that loss for the rest of his career.
                    Look at the quote above for proof of your words.

Originally posted by DreamerUSA View Post
                    In the short term. Probably not a whole lot. But in the big picture, when discussing legacies years down the road, its big. That is always a hot topic when discussing fighters of the past, L's mean almost nothing if you avenged the loss. I brought this up in another thread where this was discussed. Would Ray Robinson be held in as high regard as he is if he did'nt avenge his losses to Lamotta, Turpin and Fulmer. I would say no. Boxing history is littered with greats who avenged L's. Its part of their greatness. 30-40 years down the line no one will give a **** if Salido was past it when Loma avenged the L, assuming he does.
                    But will Salido even be remembered as a significant fighter by then? Currently he is because of the relevance of the names he's fought but none of those names aside from Lomachenko seem to have longevity. Although Vargas, Lopez and Martinez are or were good names at the time he faced them, they aren't special enough not to be forgotten in the history books. The only thing that separates Salido from being one of those names is his win over Vasyl and Vasyl's own potential of becoming a great.

Comment

It means redemption, it means alot for him personally.

Comment

Working...
                      X