Collapse
No announcement yet.

Muslim Amazon workers protesting because they don't have enough time to pray

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I mean I see no problem if they clock out for prayer now if amazon is paying them to pray it's time to just give them a pink slip. Business is business.

Comment

What this really is about is ultimately changing the state name of Minnesota to Mogadishu. In due time I suppose. It's a marathon to the Muslims...not a sprint.

Comment

Originally posted by flipbjefrox View Post
        Time to say I’m Muslim so I can do some yoga during work hours
        Yep, and lie about being transgender so you don't have to follow a dress code at work and you can use the ladies room if the men's room is occupied or funky.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
          Yep, and lie about being transgender so you don't have to follow a dress code at work and you can use the ladies room if the men's room is occupied or funky.
          No amount of privilege will get me to dress like a woman in a daily basis hahahah

Comment

Originally posted by flipbjefrox View Post
            No amount of privilege will get me to dress like a woman in a daily basis hahahah
            Not dress like a woman, Ha. Lets say your company has a dress code for men that they must wear a shirt, tie, and sportcoat, but women rarely if ever have to abide by those dress codes. Where I work men are supposed to have their shirts tucked always, but women don't have to. Men are not allowed to wear sandals, flip-flops, sneakers etc., yet women walk around all day in open-toe "shoes" that are f***ing flip-slops and sandals. Women come to work wearing yoga pants with a sweater. Definitely dress code double standards.

Comment

Originally posted by JcLazyX210 View Post
              I mean I see no problem if they clock out for prayer now if amazon is paying them to pray it's time to just give them a pink slip. Business is business.
              As Muslims they should know that they have to follow the law of the land they are on. They can always do Qada prayers after work which is basically making up missed prayers which probably would only be one or two at the most.

Comment

They work 24/7 ????

Comment

Originally posted by Boxfan7819 View Post
                  As Muslims they should know that they have to follow the law of the land they are on. They can always do Qada prayers after work which is basically making up missed prayers which probably would only be one or two at the most.
                  The law of the land, in this case America, is supposed to protect the religious rights of all its people.

As one of the women interviewed for this article (I hope you read it) states that she works from 6am to 5.30 pm, that is an eleven and a half hour shift.

They also have to adhere to a strict and in my opinion, inhumane working shift, where they have to pack a certain amount of boxes (Depending on how much Amazon wants done) per shift. Whether someone is Muslim or not, how is a work practice like that allowed?

The spokeswoman also states that they, they Muslims, pray during their timed breaks, however these are often too short or requires them having to miss a toilet or food break to pray.

I would also like to quote your own first amendment to you:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."

The worker's have a right for their religion to be established and exercised, as well as having the right to express their grievances in a peaceful manner.

In terms of the religious aspect you have quoted, a Qada prayer is only to be done if prayers were missed and you had no other option. I am sure many of the workers do that now but they have a right under the constitution to have time for prayer, which would be 5 minutes, maybe twice a day.

Amazon has terrible work practices, something one would expect in a Chinese sweatshop, not a so called developed nation.

Comment

If they want to pray they should quit their jobs and let people who want to work get their jobs so they can pray as much as they want.

I want to work at amazon.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
                      The spokeswoman also states that they, they Muslims, pray during their timed breaks, however these are often too short or requires them having to miss a toilet or food break to pray.

... time for prayer, which would be 5 minutes, maybe twice a day.
                      These two statements seem to contradict each other.

Comment

Working...
                      X