No announcement yet.

Boxing Scene Hall of Fame

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boxing Scene Hall of Fame

After seeing Kostya Tszyu get in on the first ballot and Sly Stallone , I decided to take a gander at some of the Hall of Fame members. Some of them are pretty low-grade for HOF'ers. So I got to thinking - why don't we make our own unofficial Hall of Fame here? We could have a write-in ballot every month, let's say, where you can pick up to five fighters you want to get in. Top five fighters with the most votes get in, simple as that. In a year, we'd have something pretty respectable and we could start including trainers and the like.

Sounds cool. From the thread title though, I thought you meant hall of fame members of boxing scene, like Jab or Poet or Barnburner or something.

I'll go with Marciano, Louis, Holyfield, Ali and Robinson.

Trainers-Freddie Roach, Emmanuel Steward, Charley Goldman, Angelo Dundee and Lou Duva.

Announcers I'm not sure, maybe Larry Merchant, Barry Tompkins, not a big Cosell fan myself, but I liked his interviews, so I'd throw him in too for that, maybe Tim Ryan and Gil Clancy.

Comment

That's a fair point. I like your ballot and I guess I'll submit my own here. Might want to narrow it down to two or three trainers, though, we should probably have more fighters than anything else. And only one "periphery" guy.

Fighters
      Muhammad Ali, Sugar Ray Robinson, Joe Louis, John L. Sullivan, Roberto Duran

Trainers
      Angelo Dundee, Eddie Futch

Periphery
      Howard Cossell
      Last edited by BigStereotype; 12-08-2010, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Fighters
        Langford
        Robinson
        Armstrong
        Greb
        Pep

Trainers
        Angelo Dundee
        Ray Arcel

Don Dunphy

Comment

Is there a way to change the thread title so it sounds less like I'm talking about a HOF for members and more our own personal boxing hall of fame?

Comment

I don't believe so just to a re-post and I will copy and paste my post if you like.
            Call it: The IBHOF (voted by you) or something.

Comment

If the ratio is 5-2-1 (Fighters-Trainers-Periphery), I'll go with...

Fighters:

Henry Armstrong
              Jack Dempsey ("Non-Pareil," the original)
              Bob Fitzsimmons
              Harry Greb
              Sam Langford

Trainers:

Ray Arcel
              Jack Blackburn

Periphery:

Tex Rickard

...This could be a really great thread. Once a month sounds about right, given the huge numbers of individuals we will need to induct from scratch. Will you be counting the votes, Big S? I was thinking --- it could really be all over the shop, because many great fighters may wind up equal on one, two, or three votes, just because there are just so many individuals to choose from. What about a Ballot System, where you or a group of people decide on a short-list (say, 30 for Fighters, 15 for Trainers, 10 for Peripheries, as an example) & everyone is limited to choosing from those? You could do it in eras (say, "70's Week, 90's Week, 30's Week," etc, so it could be randomised in terms of fighters from different eras. Just thinking out loud here, BTW.) Here's hoping it turns out great!

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Blue Yonda View Post
                If the ratio is 5-2-1 (Fighters-Trainers-Periphery), I'll go with...

Fighters:

Henry Armstrong
                Jack Dempsey ("Non-Pareil," the original)
                Bob Fitzsimmons
                Harry Greb
                Sam Langford

Trainers:

Ray Arcel
                Jack Blackburn

Periphery:

Tex Rickard

...This could be a really great thread. Once a month sounds about right, given the huge numbers of individuals we will need to induct from scratch. Will you be counting the votes, Big S? I was thinking --- it could really be all over the shop, because many great fighters may wind up equal on one, two, or three votes, just because there are just so many individuals to choose from. What about a Ballot System, where you or a group of people decide on a short-list (say, 30 for Fighters, 15 for Trainers, 10 for Peripheries, as an example) & everyone is limited to choosing from those? You could do it in eras (say, "70's Week, 90's Week, 30's Week," etc, so it could be randomised in terms of fighters from different eras. Just thinking out loud here, BTW.) Here's hoping it turns out great!
                Thank you! I think that is a good idea. Now I just need a Hall of Fame Commission...any volunteers? I'd do it all myself, but I will readily admit that I don't know enough about boxing history to do justice to some of the fighters from way back.

Comment

Good idea. Too keep it alive without causing much trouble we could post it in the History Section Group Discussions? (The indivdual category votes) and have only 1 main thread (this one) where all the votes are relayed from the group.
                  This would help because I try to only non trolls in the group, so it would help prevent injusticies.

Comment

You could probably use a few members just to lighten the monthly load. It'd be fairer to have a few, too, so a greater number of deserving names crop up for due consideration, as long as it wasn't too many (as the old maxim goes, put ten people in a room & they may get something done, put thirty in a room, & nothing gets done!) LOL.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    Error

An error occurred.

Sorry, the page you are looking for is currently unavailable.
                    Please try again later.

If you are the system administrator of this resource then you should check the error log for details.

Faithfully yours, nginx.