Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Shannon Briggs vs. Fres Oquendo For WBA 'Regular' on June 3

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Heavyweight division is so open and weak nowadays that it has created a power vacuum, to the point where you got washed up 60 year old former champions, titleholders and contenders, believing that they alll can still compete in this current era; Something which I find personally beyond pathetic.

Comment

Originally posted by joe strong View Post
      Any way you slice it the whole regular thing is stupid.
      Of course it is. And nobody was ranting and raving more than I was in 2001 that the WBA should be instantly de-recognized for introducing super championships. Just as nobody has criticized those who accept the WBO more than I have. Ultimately, fans are to blame for accepting new titles. The stupidity of boxing fans is the reason we have four world championship organizations.

I don't know how the super champion is not the main man because the regular champion has 20 months to cash in his shot.
      I'm not saying he is or isn't. But the WBC diamond champion is listed above the world champion in the rankings just as the WBA super champion is listed above the world champion.

And considering the WBA is eliminating super championships and not eliminating world championships, a case could be made that the world champion has the real title.

Comment

Originally posted by woo9115 View Post
        How is this even sanctioned? The WBA should be ashamed of themselves. They're not even elite boxers anymore. Someone gonna get the ABC title. Hopefully, it ends in a draw...
        It's not the WBA's fault. Oquendo is owed a world championship fight due to a ruling from a federal judge years ago. He's just now finally recovered from a shoulder injury and ready for his title shot.

This whole super/world championship mess will finally be over by the end of next year. By the end of this year, the WBA should have 12 divisions with one champion and by the end of next year, all 17 should be cleared up.

Comment

Im happy that Australian cheater is not given a chance so, his career is probably over.

Comment

Because the WBA created this mess, even if they get to the light at the end of the tunnel (consolidation of belts and ridding themselves of the legally obligated title shots), I hope like hell that the WBA belt is relegated to a minor belt in the minds of the fans and the sport. Alongside a massive financial hit when inevitably, 4 people turn up to the fight - including press.

I am incredibly bitter towards this garbage that has ruined our sport.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottWeiland View Post
              Oquendo pursued this fight legally I don't even care who wins as long as the winner has to face Ustinov before being mandated to the Ortiz vs Klitschko/Joshua winner as its not a terrible stay busy fight for the eventual victor of the WBA pile, I'm not excited for these match ups nor will I watch them but it'll go some way to clearing up the joke that is the WBA three belts.

When the eventual winner of Ustinov/Fres/Briggs lines up to face one of Pulev/AJ/Wlad or Ortiz it's going to be so far down the line it's really not relevant at this stage as the IBF mandatory will be enforced before the WBA title shot is ordered.

These guys can all keep each other busy in the mean time and realistically you've a deserving challenger not that I'd pay to watch a unified champ versus any of these guys, imagine the interest world wide in an Ortiz versus Ustinov fight ? Lol, it's absolutely insignificant at this stage and likely will be by the time the end WBA game plays out to the majority of us.
              This is why that WBA tournament has went to pieces.

As much as I have been down with the Briggs movement, this is about as far as it may get. You have the fallout from the Fury-Klitschko fight that didn't happen, and Ortiz was supposed to fight Ustinov in which the winner would have fought either Fury or Klitschko...then that fight fell through because of promotional issues.

So on one side there hasn't been a fight, while on the other side there has been one - Browne-Chagaev - where the winner ended up being tested positive for drugs. The loser wasn't placed next in line for the "regular" belt, and Briggs was added in and would have fought the "winner" but Browne got caught with drugs again...so now he faces Oquendo who last fought in 2014...against Chagaev...in which he lost via decision.

Even if Briggs or Oquendo wins, I doubt that they get a shot at the "super" champ. Like you said, the IBF mandatory will request a challenge before this fight even takes place. Shoot, Ortiz may end up fighting the Wlad-Joshua winner (esp. if it is Joshua).

Comment

Haye almost had himself talked into another mega fight for Joshua's next, and Shannon can barely get a fight with Oquendo. Hope he wins this and we can see if he still has some gas in the tank against better competition. With Haye's failing body, I sort of now get why he ducked Briggs (and also that paycheck for Bellew). Shannon has a great chin (Klitschko fight) and he wouldn't have needed another 5 rounds with that kind of power to put Haye through the ropes like Bellew. I don't think Briggs is near the best, but I think he's better than a lot of people with a higher ranking, and moreover, he's great for the division with that always running mouth of his.

Comment

Working...
                X