Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was Mayweather as good as people make him out to be?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Curt Henning View Post
    Mayweather certainly ruined the sport for a bunch of insecure people....that's why you see *******s/golovtards/aj fanboys out here crying all of the time and making excuses....and hating on anything an al haymon fighter does
    How'd Mayweather ruin it?

Comment

Originally posted by DaNeutral. View Post
      Yes he was as good as people make him out to be, ive had a serious dislike for the man for years, i think his style is really boring and he has the worst and most unlikable attitude ive ever seen from a Boxer. But the man is a very special talent i cant deny it and as much as i watched his fights in the hope he would get knocked the **** out its damn hard to ignore or not respect the talent the man has.

As for his resume he fought all the right names just not at the right times. So at the time he gets a bit of stick but the casuals are fooled and after a length of time the names remain on his resume but the conditions of the fighters at the time will be forgotten. He cherrypicked good fighters at a time that suited him, and he was even happy to admit it saying it was the smart thing to do, good business moves but not exactly brave or testing.

Which was a shame cuz the cherrypicking, the cheating and the the PED use wasnt even necessary as i feel he was good enough to do it all without it just meant he had to work a bit harder and maybe get tested a bit harder.
      overall not bad....somewhat fair

I just think certain people will always act as if he "cherrypicked" guys and avoided guys at certain times

I'm not going to go over it all right now...today...but there is more than enough evidence to suggest that he was avoided by guys(or their promoter) when he wanted to fight them and he was a victim of boxing politics

at a certain point he adopted a "fugg em...im not chasing them anymore...they'll come to me when theyre ready" attitude....that's all you can do....but that's what happens when guys you are pursuing have their promoter jerking you around

very similar to what I saw with wilder and aj....wilder knows if he keeps winning that AJ will have no choice eventually....but hearn jerked him and his people around and actually verbally insulted them with childish antics...much like arum pulled

finally wilder was like "you know what I'm not even concerned...ill go fight fury"....then after that he was like "I can do a fury rematch that's a good event...if I keep winning AJ has to come get me and answer the wilder question"....this of course may change very soon as fury punked out and avoided it so wilder may have to reconsider his stance.....but that's what wilder did when he looked at the fury rematch

theres tons of evidence to suggest Floyd would have fought shane earlier but shane was hesitant

arum actually confirmed Floyd agreed to fight margarito way back in 2008 but Floyd wanted 10 mil future guarantees for cotto and hatton fights(this suggests Floyd was eyeing cotto) and arum was only willing to give him 7 each....so Floyd bought out....

when Floyd left bob arum and started using golden boy to promote his fights(bob thought Floyd was gonna still use TR that way) bob got pissy and wouldn't let him near any of his guy...especially pac and cotto(notice bob made pac/cotto easily and cotto/Floyd got made easily once cotto left TR briefly)

Floyd didn't duck people...or cherrypick....there were politics involved and he reached a point where he was so big and doing such numbers that he stopped chasing people

Comment

Originally posted by Jax teller View Post
        How'd Mayweather ruin it?
        Floyd being on top of the sport and making so much money and setting records really upset alot of insecure people

hes the reason why some people, no matter what he does, hate on everything haymon does and anyone that fights for him....its plain as day.....haymon is hated because of his affiliation with Floyd

people didn't/don't like Floyd....he wasn't the most exciting guy but was beating everyone and making tons of money and setting records

Comment

Floyd was VERY, VERY good.

But never this untouchable great he like to think of himself as.

Comment

Originally posted by GorillaDog View Post
            Maidana was a Cherry pick. He got schooled by Devon. Khan won the Poll to fight Mayweather. When Floyd chose maidana b/c he was a brawler. Everybody thought Maidana had no chance.

You don't think Khan's Jab/Speed would give him trouble. This wasn't Roach Khan it was Virgil Khan. I think floyd would have beat him but the point is Floyd doesn't like looking bad. So he fought punchers over boxers b/c he knew boxers would make him look mortal.
            Maidana was on top of the boxing world when he beat an undefeated broner. Maidana was far from a cherry pick.

Comment

people thinking Floyd was a ducker and a cherrypicker need to read through this whole thing

http://www.espn.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=2420382

Floyd had big plans for himself....arum didn't believe in it and share his vision

when Floyd originally left bob said nice things....til the minute Floyd started working with golden boy he did a 180

Floyd was ready to fight margs, cotto and hatton.....but arum lost him basically over 6 million dollars

Comment

Floyd being on top of the sport and making so much money and setting records really upset alot of insecure people

hes the reason why some people, no matter what he does, hate on everything haymon does and anyone that fights for him....its plain as day.....haymon is hated because of his affiliation with Floyd

people didn't/don't like Floyd....he wasn't the most exciting guy but was beating everyone and making tons of money and setting records
                Is that why you don't like anything AJ because he's making money and currently on top? Does he ruin the sport for you becuase of your insecurities?

Comment

Originally posted by Jax teller View Post
                  Is that why you don't like anything AJ because he's making money and currently on top? Does he ruin the sport for you becuase of your insecurities?
                  nah I actually think its cool when guys make good money in the sport...and I don't even have a beef with AJ himself...more his promoter/bodyguard

I dislike AJ because his promoter has clearly ducked wilder and insulted his team which consists of guys who have been way more successful in the sport of boxing

Comment

nah I actually think its cool when guys make good money in the sport...and I don't even have a beef with AJ himself...more his promoter/bodyguard

I dislike AJ because his promoter has clearly ducked wilder and insulted his team which consists of guys who have been way more successful in the sport of boxing
                    I don't get how you can wholly and exclusively blame one side and feel like you're being honest with yourself.

It's seems pretty obvious Finkel seems to be trying to spite Hearn through Wilder especially now they've had to go around him to set up a meeting with DAZN. Wouldn't surprise me if he didn't accept that 15 mil and told Wilder he did, that would actually make sense as to why their stories weren't straight.

Also you're being a bit sensitive with the insult thing, not a lot has happened apart from saying Wilder isn't PPV which upset him and now he's saying it himself regarding Breazeale! Not to mention Wilder did a lot of name calling himself.

Comment

It's very hard to tell. Pound 4 Pound he was the best of his era. However, we will never know how good he would have been had he fought in other eras just prior to his; Because those guys weren't around when he fought like the Leonards, Durans and Hearns. Therefore, he never had a chance of competing against those guys.

I will say what made Money stood out among the crowd was his work ethic. He worked harder than any oher fighter outside of Pacquiao, in order to excel in being the very best that he could be. That is what he has inherited from the all-time greats and legends from the past. The average fighter today don't put in that extra 50 percent of hard work like Floyd or Manny do in order to be great.

Comment

Working...
                      X