No announcement yet.

was there slippage for larry holmes

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
    When he lost to Mike Spinks or are we not giving Micheal enough credit for his performances
    Spinks was an exceptional boxer, very clever, very well schooled and he knew how to expose opponents weaknesses. Thing is, neither fight was a convincing win or loss for either guy, in all honesty, I could see both being scored as draws. What impressed me most was how Spinks jumped up 30+lb and really made it competitive against an ATG heavyweight.

Comment

After Cooney, and Cobb, Larry slipped. Witherspoon proved that. And that probably also the reason he avoided Page and Thomas.

Comment

Originally posted by Dynamite76 View Post
        After Cooney, and Cobb, Larry slipped. Witherspoon proved that. And that probably also the reason he avoided Page and Thomas.
        Yup.

I really think Holmes had to spend too many years in the contender ranks. He should have been champion several years before assuming the throne, or at least feasted on inferior competition to what he was actually matched against.

Once he realized where he was and what he might accomplish, it was too late.

I am with you, Spinks was meant to be an easy out. Neither Holmes nor Spinks was the best Heavyweight in the world at the time. The fact that Holmes "won" it back in the rematch, and Spinks then pursued the fights with that Euro hack, and the ghost of Cooney shows that Spinks knew it, too.

Spinks deserves credit for how he performed in both fights. Probably no one else could have played spoiler like that, and there were better choices for Holmes to reach the magic number. But we all know Holmes of his prime handles Spinks fairly easily. Take your pick from the extensive cataloug. My suggestion would be: Holmes-Cooney, Holmes-Norton, Holmes-Shavers I & II as his best performances.

While I don't want to totally disparage Spinks' career: he really did take on his division with avengance, and gave it his absolute all in his Heavyweight campaign, you can totally see his career as the blueprint Floyd followed for building his own career.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Tromboni View Post
          Yup.

I really think Holmes had to spend too many years in the contender ranks. He should have been champion several years before assuming the throne, or at least feasted on inferior competition to what he was actually matched against.

Once he realized where he was and what he might accomplish, it was too late.

I am with you, Spinks was meant to be an easy out. Neither Holmes nor Spinks was the best Heavyweight in the world at the time. The fact that Holmes "won" it back in the rematch, and Spinks then pursued the fights with that Euro hack, and the ghost of Cooney shows that Spinks knew it, too.

Spinks deserves credit for how he performed in both fights. Probably no one else could have played spoiler like that, and there were better choices for Holmes to reach the magic number. But we all know Holmes of his prime handles Spinks fairly easily. Take your pick from the extensive cataloug. My suggestion would be: Holmes-Cooney, Holmes-Norton, Holmes-Shavers I & II as his best performances.

While I don't want to totally disparage Spinks' career: he really did take on his division with avengance, and gave it his absolute all in his Heavyweight campaign, you can totally see his career as the blueprint Floyd followed for building his own career.
          - -No need for me to disparage you when you disparage yourself so much better.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
            - -No need for me to disparage you when you disparage yourself so much better.
            Have I been neglecting you, Queenie?

Maybe all the attention I was giving to the Tranny from NY has you thinking you're not still my favorite old gal?

Don't worry, no one can take your place in my heart.

Comment

- -In the series, Mike further exposed a now shot Lar in the first fight.

2nd fight was Lar 1st 6 due to Mike fighting with the flu and a fever, but once Lar expended hisself, Mike was able to win the next 6 on superior skills that he always possessed over Lar.

Net result exposed just how insecure Lar was as a boxer.

Comment

Working...
              X