Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will boxing make me skinny/lose my muscle?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will boxing make me skinny/lose my muscle?

Im starting boxing in a month after years and years of spinning my wheels in the gym 'bodybuilding' trying to look a certain way for vanities sake. It's boring and monotonous.

THe only thing is, I am worried I will loose all the size I have built (i'm not 'big' - im 170lb at 5'11 but have good muscle shape and size) and am somewhat concerned about becoming skinny.

Anyone have any take on this?

Also, is lifting weights essential or necessary to become a good boxer? I'm going to continue pullups and some lateral raises for my shoulders and forearms, but aside from that I'm bored with weightlifting exercises.

Your take?

Depends how you eat and train. You'll probably need more carbs depending on your current diet (if youre doing a basic 40/40/20)

You'll probably lose weight if you're naturally "skinny" and have been basically body building to maintain size. So might lose size but if youve already got good amount of muscle mass you'll see a lot more definition and reductionof body fat if you eat cleanish. Probably become a bit faster, more flexible, better balance, functional strength, etc. Im assuming all you do is lift and dont do a lot of cross training of course

Bottom line is if you see yourself losing more weight than you're aesthetically comfortable with eat more. Your aerobic workload is increasing tremendously sooo... Yoh'll probably need to eat more than youre used to. You can still lift

Comment

I wouldn't stop weightlifting. It's a total waste to throw away all those years of work in the gym. If you're lifting for the purpose of looking better, you're not understanding the reason for going to the gym.

If you don't continue lifting, your muscles will waste away until they resume to their size previous of when you began to lift. There's nothing you can do about this unless you continue weightlifting.

You should start boxing, up your calories and as mentioned above, up your carbs too for energy purposes. The only way boxing will effect your muscles is your arms and legs might feel a bit sore the day after training, otherwise you'll be fine.

Comment

What Hypnos said about the macro split is great. As long as you keep your calories up you will probably not notice much of a size change. Your muscles will become denser because of the type of muscle built.

Expect to feel slow and limited for a little bit but you will catch up in no time.

Comment

You're looking at it backwards. Boxing doesn't make you skinny, it just doesn't make you bulky. Bodybuilding is meant for...... building your body. Boxing tends to give one decent shoulders but won't do much to boost the size of other body parts if they aren't naturally inclined toward growth. If you built a physique you like with bodybuilding, then you would maintain that with bodybuilding.

Comment

I wont touch on touch on the diet part (calorie/carb intake) because thats my weak point in boxing training and the other posters seemed to know what they are talking about so I will leave it at that. What I will touch on is the exercising, you asked about muscle and weights, let me first say, the best muscle to have in boxing is lanky muscle. Boxing as Im sure you know is an endurance sport so it requires a lot of cardio which will take away some muscle. BUT if you like the tight muscle look and you are only training for amateurs (3 rounds) I would say focus more on your anerobic exercises. I usually say to anyone that wants to take boxing SUPER serious cardio is broken down 60/40 60% aerobic and 40% anerobic. But for someone thats not going to take it to extreme seriousness and is using it more so as a workout to stay in shape Id say do the opposite. I really dont like to suggest weights to anyone training in boxing unless its leg weights, than I usually say go hard on your legs for explosive power.

Comment

Originally posted by hisnamewas View Post
              Im starting boxing in a month after years and years of spinning my wheels in the gym 'bodybuilding' trying to look a certain way for vanities sake. It's boring and monotonous.

THe only thing is, I am worried I will loose all the size I have built (i'm not 'big' - im 170lb at 5'11 but have good muscle shape and size) and am somewhat concerned about becoming skinny.

Anyone have any take on this?

Also, is lifting weights essential or necessary to become a good boxer? I'm going to continue pullups and some lateral raises for my shoulders and forearms, but aside from that I'm bored with weightlifting exercises.

Your take?
              hello guys from a newbie (19 y.o). i'm skinny so i want to gain some muscle. maybe you could suggest me some natural steroid alternatives? any help is appreciated.
              Last edited by jim222; 05-31-2016, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jim222 View Post
                hello guys from a newbie (19 y.o). i'm skinny so i want to gain some muscle. maybe you could suggest me some natural steroid alternatives? any help is appreciated.
                Natural steroids? Firstly, don't touch steroids till you're at least twenty two - twenty four, otherwise you will completely mess up your hormones.

If you're naturally skinny, just go to the gym and work like everyone else does. Then after three to four years, if you still want to go down that route, that's your choice.

Comment

Originally posted by motivational View Post
                  Natural steroids? Firstly, don't touch steroids till you're at least twenty two - twenty four, otherwise you will completely mess up your hormones.

If you're naturally skinny, just go to the gym and work like everyone else does. Then after three to four years, if you still want to go down that route, that's your choice.
                  More like not at all. It isn't very responsible to recommend steroids to a kid ****er. First of all, the brain isn't fully developed until 25. If you don't know what you're doing with steroids you ARE going to **** yourself up. You still will even if you know what you're doing. Steroids give no good effects. As soon as you stop using steroids you're going to lose all the gains you made because you had no base. I used to want to be a bodybuilder and overall better physically looking. I watched endless youtube videos on how to get bigger and the people making those were guys who used steroids and some didn't, they covered many times what happens when you use steroids. A guy who is 150 starts using steroids and gets to 230 and a 200lb natural bodybuilder starts using steroids and gets to 230 when they both stop the 200 lb guy will only go back down to 200 but the 150 lb guy will go all the way down to 150 and have much more joint problems alone than the 200 lb guy because he never built a base. The long term health risks outweigh the only positive, a "better" body. Remember Bob from fight club?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.DagoWop View Post
                    More like not at all. It isn't very responsible to recommend steroids to a kid ****er. First of all, the brain isn't fully developed until 25. If you don't know what you're doing with steroids you ARE going to **** yourself up. You still will even if you know what you're doing. Steroids give no good effects. As soon as you stop using steroids you're going to lose all the gains you made because you had no base. I used to want to be a bodybuilder and overall better physically looking. I watched endless youtube videos on how to get bigger and the people making those were guys who used steroids and some didn't, they covered many times what happens when you use steroids. A guy who is 150 starts using steroids and gets to 230 and a 200lb natural bodybuilder starts using steroids and gets to 230 when they both stop the 200 lb guy will only go back down to 200 but the 150 lb guy will go all the way down to 150 and have much more joint problems alone than the 200 lb guy because he never built a base. The long term health risks outweigh the only positive, a "better" body. Remember Bob from fight club?
                    It isn't very responsible to recommend steroids to a kid ****er.
                    In three years time, as I recommended he will be twenty two, he can join the army and kill people. I don't think he's a kid.

First of all, the brain isn't fully developed until 25. If you don't know what you're doing with steroids you ARE going to **** yourself up. You still will even if you know what you're doing. Steroids give no good effects.
                    Steroids have absolutely no effect on the brain. So I have no idea why that would matter. And your epiphyseal plate (growth plates) stop growing around nineteen or twenty depending on genetics and gender. By mid twenties, your body will have fully developed. As I told him, wait three years till his body is fully developed.

You still will even if you know what you're doing. Steroids give no good effects
                    Tell that to every athlete and bodybuilder who makes millions using them.

As soon as you stop using steroids you're going to lose all the gains you made because you had no base. I used to want to be a bodybuilder and overall better physically looking. I watched endless youtube videos on how to get bigger and the people making those were guys who used steroids and some didn't, they covered many times what happens when you use steroids. A guy who is 150 starts using steroids and gets to 230 and a 200lb natural bodybuilder starts using steroids and gets to 230 when they both stop the 200 lb guy will only go back down to 200 but the 150 lb guy will go all the way down to 150 and have much more joint problems alone than the 200 lb guy because he never built a base.
                    As soon as you come off steroids, your hormones will drop down dramatically because you've been using synthetic hormones, which have made your body stop producing their own hormones since you're doing it for them. If you don't do anything and just wait, you will have no hormones and you will lose all your muscle over the course of about two months. After a while, your body will realise what's going on and it will fix the problem and you will regain some of the lost muscle.

That's why you run something called a PCT (Post Cycle Therapy) it basically means as soon as you stop taking steroids, your body starts producing hormones almost immediately. You can easilly keep almost all of your gains on a steroid cycle if you know what you're doing. The only way you can't keep your gains is if you build too much muscle for your natural testosterone limit because your body will just lose all the muscle that you can't carry because your genetics wont allow it.

and have much more joint problems alone than the 200 lb guy because he never built a base.
                    Firstly, I told him to lift for a couple of years first because it's important to see what your genetics are like and if you can actually achieve your goals without the use of steroids. Secondly, joint problems? Weighing 200lbs will not give you joint porblems. Hell, I weigh 200lbs and I'm doing just fine. If anything, most steroids increase bone density and make your bones stronger.

The long term health risks outweigh the only positive, a "better" body. Remember Bob from fight club?
                    There's really no long term risks if you know what you're doing. It's far healthier to be 200 lbs and using steroids and exercising everyday than being 300 lbs and not exercising your whole life. I can't remember Bob from Fight Club, I haven't seen that movie in years. It was a brilliant movie though.

Comment

Working...
                    X