Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canelo's Facebook is saying he's close to fighting Mayweather.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wonder how long GBP will coddle Canelo. If you step back and forget about maintaining the goddamned zero, than you realize that a top P4P like FMJ or Martinez would be the perfect fight right now. As long as Canelo puts on a decent performance, win or lose, he'll gain respect for at least stepping it up. I don't even think a fight with Cotto is interesting anymore because even if Cotto is in top form, people will make the another-old-guy excuses.

Comment

• Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
      That's true.

But, what about when Roy Jones and Floyd Mayweather were Champions like Canelo is now?
      So Floyd beat Genaro... who was 38 years old... Manfredy and then a few more less than stellar opp. until he finally fought Corrales a few years later, unless you want to include Augustus.

So you could very well call Floyd more hype than substance even when he was a champion.

But it turned out... he wasn't.

Comment

• Originally posted by THE REED™ View Post
        So Floyd beat Genaro... who was 38 years old... Manfredy and then a few more less than stellar opp. until he finally fought Corrales a few years later, unless you want to include Augustus.

So you could very well call Floyd more hype than substance even when he was a champion.

But it turned out... he wasn't.
        Really? That's an interesting way to look at it.

Genaro Hernandez was 32, not 38 and actually looking better than ever IMO in his run leading up to that fight with Mayweather and Mayweather completely dominated him in impressive fashion. I mean, that sole win is enough to to clearly see that Mayweather wasn't hype at that point.

Canelo on the other hand you can't say this about. His best win is Ryan Rhodes. Which is not even as good as Mayweather's win over Angel Manfredy.

Comment

• Genaro Hernandez was 32, not 38
          You are right, we're debating canelo and comparing to his upcomance with Floyd and Roy... and for Some reason I was thinking of Canelos win over Sugar, who was 38.

Yup... thats my **** up.

Funnily enough I just watched that fight a few weeks ago.

Comment

You are right, we're debating canelo and comparing to his upcomance with Floyd and Roy... and for Some reason I was thinking of Canelos win over Sugar, who was 38.

Yup... thats my **** up.

Funnily enough I just watched that fight a few weeks ago.
            Man, Shane was 38? I thought he was older..

I see what you're saying with Canelo though. Whilst I don't think comparing him to Roy and Floyd when they were in the same position is fair, there are plenty of times when fighters are still unproven but the potential is clear.

It's a difficult one to assess because a fighter can look absolutely incredible but the only reason for that is his opposition I.e Lucian Bute.

On the flipside, there have been fighters who look incredible against weak opposition but actually are incredible even when they step up in class.

I always look out for the little things when a fighter's coming up, like his fundementals mainly, how he reacts to certain things. Even then it's hard, I for one, thought Bute had a lot of potential. I was obviously very wrong on that one.

The question still needs to be answered for Canelo. But, I haven't been that impressed with him thus far. Despite the fact he's won all his fight's with relative ease. I wasn't impressed with his performances against Gomez or Hatton, for example.

Comment

I always look out for the little things when a fighter's coming up, like his fundementals mainly, how he reacts to certain things. Even then it's hard, I for one, thought Bute had a lot of potential. I was obviously very wrong on that one.
              Me too, and so far I like what I've seen so far outside of getting stunned by Cotto 2.0. Like I said before though... Whether Canelo fights Floyd NOW or LATER... Canelo will continue his career and he will either clean up his division or he won't... so he's either the real deal or he isn't and we will find that out in the longrun whether he fights Floyd now or he waits.

It also comes down to this... what other options are better?

Comment

• No way May will fight him, Canelo is a tougher opp than Pac, the FB account has been hacked.

Comment

Me too, and so far I like what I've seen so far outside of getting stunned by Cotto 2.0. Like I said before though... Whether Canelo fights Floyd NOW or LATER... Canelo will continue his career and he will either clean up his division or he won't... so he's either the real deal or he isn't and we will find that out in the longrun whether he fights Floyd now or he waits.

It also comes down to this... what other options are better?
                  I was in attendance for that fight. I think that was more down to his inexperience more than anything. His fight against Gomez had more of an effect on me. And the fact he couldn't stop Hatton, that genuinely shocked me.

And I agree with you completely. Canelo is one of the best options for Mayweather right now. I'd rather him fight Guererro in May and then in September I'd be absolutely happy with Canelo-Mayweather. I'd be happy with it in May aswell.

Comment

I was in attendance for that fight. I think that was more down to his inexperience more than anything. His fight against Gomez had more of an effect on me. And the fact he couldn't stop Hatton, that genuinely shocked me.

And I agree with you completely. Canelo is one of the best options for Mayweather right now. I'd rather him fight Guererro in May and then in September I'd be absolutely happy with Canelo-Mayweather. I'd be happy with it in May aswell.
                    That was more credit to Hatton than discredit to Canelo though... He toughed that **** out.

Id like it in May for the simple fact of the EVENT it would be during Cinco De Mayo.

Comment

That was more credit to Hatton than discredit to Canelo though... He toughed that **** out.

Id like it in May for the simple fact of the EVENT it would be during Cinco De Mayo.
                      Yeah, but Hatton's not that tough of a fighter. He deserves credit for showing toughness that night and taking that beating but he really should have got him out of there. There's no excuse for not getting him out of there, Hatton's got an average chin, Canelo didn't make the weight and Hatton's a WW, at best.

And that's true. I'm thinking that's what Mayweather is thinking.

Either way, Guererro or Canelo, I'll be at his next fight. I'd personally be ok with either.

Comment

Working...
                      X